Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Platonic Kisses and Touch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,558

    Smile Platonic Kisses and Touch

    People, there needs to be more platonic kissing in his country. That's right, you heard me. A wild and crazy idea. Friends and family should kiss each other.

    We have a weird issue revolving around touch in our culture. It is stupid and unhealthy. Yes, yes, I know, more people hug each other nowadays than they did 15, 20 years ago. But it really isn't all that much of a step. Most of these hugs are wimpy little "Ok, we're going to hug but touch as little as possible and not squeeze" things. They're stupid. Embrace each other for crying out loud. Is it really so hard?
    Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think.
    -John Stuart Mill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,910
    I couldn`t agree more. Touch is an important sensation for everyone and hugs and kisses are among the best ways to distribute this.
    Knowledge is power. Hide it well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,218
    But that will destroy the institution of kisses between couples! I don't see why I should jepadise my relationship with my girlfriend just so you sickos can kiss your uncles!

    On a more serious note, far too many people in the US seem to have moustaches for me to really agree with this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish
    But that will destroy the institution of kisses between couples! I don't see why I should jepadise my relationship with my girlfriend just so you sickos can kiss your uncles!

    On a more serious note, far too many people in the US seem to have moustaches for me to really agree with this.
    You're on fire Tasty. Take that act on the road.

    While I agree with MS's sentiments, I am one of those raised in such a way as to cringe when embraced by all but my lover and lately my child. Really kind of sad but there you have it.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,218
    Everyone else seems to be allowed to do those parodies without being kicked out and set alight

    Think most of its not wanting to be kissed and hugged by random strangers or aquantainces, rather than not wanting to appear 'less of a man', I like my personal space.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish
    Everyone else seems to be allowed to do those parodies without being kicked out and set alight

    Think most of its not wanting to be kissed and hugged by random strangers or aquantainces, rather than not wanting to appear 'less of a man', I like my personal space.

    Gay men are infamous for wanting to kiss and hug everyone. I am not big on this because it seems like every bonehead that wants to hug or kiss me has a cold or flu.

    I don't like to kiss and hug people because I don't like to get every cold and flu that comes along.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "It is never freedom of religion and freedom of speech when you use your religion as a guise to demean other people."
    ---------------------------------------------------

    I have joined the world of blogging...at
    www.joebrummer.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Suburb in Eastern Kansas.
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Shake
    People, there needs to be more platonic kissing in his country. That's right, you heard me. A wild and crazy idea. Friends and family should kiss each other.
    Predominately, this is mostly an issue in the US. In most other countries, a kiss on the cheek between 2 guys or 2 girls is a simple sign of friendship. Actually, here's a funny story. OK, well, funny depending on who you are. It was in a Spanish class I had last fall. We were practicing introducing ourselves with a partner in Spanish. Then the teacher asked for this one girl in class and myself to practice introducing ourselves and then afterwords, she told us that if it were in Mexico (or other Spanish-speaking culture) that the next time we meet, I would have given her a kiss. Then the girl gave a look like "Uh, can I drop the class now?" Okay, see, it's funny depending on who you are. But the idea is in America, we mostly do have a huge personal space.
    Most of these hugs are wimpy little "Ok, we're going to hug but touch as little as possible and not squeeze" things. They're stupid. Embrace each other for crying out loud. Is it really so hard?
    Does somebody need a hug?
    I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

    I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,558
    I'm not saying you need to hug and kiss everyone you meet on the street. But we could do to show a little more real affection for those we cared about. Like Ooaman said, this is common in many other parts of the world. We are just so flippin uptight here.
    Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think.
    -John Stuart Mill

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Oz
    Posts
    3,253
    What's your stance on XXX-slapping and wet towel fights in locker rooms?
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way whether directly or indirectly participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

    ~ Gandhi

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Suburb in Eastern Kansas.
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Symbiote
    What's your stance on XXX-slapping and...
    Is that like in a baseball game when the pitcher has a meeting on the mound and the coach slaps them after they are through? Or are you thinking of something else?
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

    I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Surrey/Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooaman
    Predominately, this is mostly an issue in the US. In most other countries, a kiss on the cheek between 2 guys or 2 girls is a simple sign of friendship. Actually, here's a funny story. OK, well, funny depending on who you are. It was in a Spanish class I had last fall. We were practicing introducing ourselves with a partner in Spanish. Then the teacher asked for this one girl in class and myself to practice introducing ourselves and then afterwords, she told us that if it were in Mexico (or other Spanish-speaking culture) that the next time we meet, I would have given her a kiss. Then the girl gave a look like "Uh, can I drop the class now?" Okay, see, it's funny depending on who you are. But the idea is in America, we mostly do have a huge personal space.
    We're not that touchy-feely in Britain either, which is a pity. In the first few months I was going out with my girlfriend, I kept on nearly taking the hands of people I was walking with, because I always did with her, and it became instinctive, particularly for people I feel affectionate towards.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Obvious Child
    We're not that touchy-feely in Britain either, which is a pity. In the first few months I was going out with my girlfriend, I kept on nearly taking the hands of people I was walking with, because I always did with her, and it became instinctive, particularly for people I feel affectionate towards.
    I happen to believe the affliction many Americans suffer from is in fact an extension of the same one you describe for Brits. A legacy of stand-offishness if you will, and of course America got you're most prudish and stoic stock as Puritan immigrants. Thanks.

    The good news is that we have plenty of Latin, African and a few other cultures added which bring a little warmth and passion.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Symbiote
    What's your stance on XXX-slapping and wet towel fights in locker rooms?
    I've never really understood the whole XXX-slapping thing to be honest. Some of the most homophobic macho men are out there patting eachother's tushies. I don't get it. But I suppose this kind of thing (including the toel fights and other related things) are born out of the fact the Americans--men in particular--have these problems with touch. So they come out in rough-housing ways like towel fights and such. This still doesn't explain the XXX-aslapping thing though. I don't know that I'll ever get that one.
    Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think.
    -John Stuart Mill

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Surrey/Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin
    I happen to believe the affliction many Americans suffer from is in fact an extension of the same one you describe for Brits. A legacy of stand-offishness if you will, and of course America got you're most prudish and stoic stock as Puritan immigrants. Thanks.
    Thanks for taking them off our hands

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Suburb in Eastern Kansas.
    Posts
    2,328
    You know, also in this country is the idea of only one meaning of love. In the Greek language, there are 3 different meanings for the word "Love". They are the love between a man and a woman in a want to date/marry type relationship; the love between a man and a man in a brotherly love or friendship love; and then the love in a religious since. The US usually as a whole assumes that if you use the word love, you automatically want to have sex with that person. If you say you love someone, it can only mean the sexual (aeros (sp), I believe) kind of love. This could also be why some people have trouble with the whole touchy-feeling thing. They have trouble with how they appear to others. Others might be like, "dude, those dudes are hugging, gay weirdos!" type of thing.

    Once again, as I've said before, it's mostly in our country. Okay, I guess England also. But it is one of those society things that needs to be overlooked inorder for this kind of thing to work.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

    I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •