Poll: Pick One

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution versus Creationism

Evolution versus Creationism

Pick one, and only one. I know that some people fall closer to the middle ground here, but for the purposes of this poll, please choose which you believe in more.

If you would like to explain your beliefs please do.
    There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times

Letter to Cardinal de Bernis, April 23, 1761--Voltaire

I accept evolution as largely fact. I also believe it is a indirect tool of a absent God.
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

Remove wishful thinking. Remove fear.

All that's left is evolution and REAL life.

Given the mountains of evidence for Evolution, I strongly trust that Evolution does indeed happen. Also, regarding explanations of the mechanism behind Evolution, it seems that, though there may be some details to iron out, the Theory of Evolution does explain the changes fairly well.

As for whether or not there was any supernatural influence in Evolution, there is no evidence of such a supernatural influence. However, it would be hard to disprove that God may have subtly influenced the flow of Evolution so I still leave that as a possibility. It just seems that, if an omnipotent God did exist and human beings were central to His goals, then the extremely slow methods of Evolution would seem like a very roundabout and inefficient way of getting there. Any tentative beliefs that I hold, then, on the supernatural and God are not traditional since traditional beliefs would require one to ignore much of the evidence presented by Science.

Luckily, various traditional or conventional Christian groups do seem to slowly (too slowly in my view) adapt to the realities discovered by Science. The Roman Catholic Church has already accepted Evolution as the means in which humans physically (if not spiritually) developed - presumably guided by the hand of God. It would be interesting to learn (which I have not taken the trouble of doing) how they would reconcile the thought of God being omnipotent with His using such an inefficient method.

That being said, there are also many Christian groups which will never adapt their beliefs to the evidence of Science. Unfortunately, they are gaining numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Another opinion View Post
    Given the mountains of evidence for Evolution, I strongly trust that Evolution does indeed happen. Also, regarding explanations of the mechanism behind Evolution, it seems that, though there may be some details to iron out, the Theory of Evolution does explain the changes fairly well.

As for whether or not there was any supernatural influence in Evolution, there is no evidence of such a supernatural influence. However, it would be hard to disprove that God may have subtly influenced the flow of Evolution so I still leave that as a possibility. It just seems that, if an omnipotent God did exist and human beings were central to His goals, then the extremely slow methods of Evolution would seem like a very roundabout and inefficient way of getting there. Any tentative beliefs that I hold, then, on the supernatural and God are not traditional since traditional beliefs would require one to ignore much of the evidence presented by Science.

Luckily, various traditional or conventional Christian groups do seem to slowly (too slowly in my view) adapt to the realities discovered by Science. The Roman Catholic Church has already accepted Evolution as the means in which humans physically (if not spiritually) developed - presumably guided by the hand of God. It would be interesting to learn (which I have not taken the trouble of doing) how they would reconcile the thought of God being omnipotent with His using such an inefficient method.

That being said, there are also many Christian groups which will never adapt their beliefs to the evidence of Science. Unfortunately, they are gaining numbers.
    Well put.

No contest really, Creationism contradicts my own observations, so believing in it would require me to disbelieve my own senses. Frankly it belongs with Flat Earthism and Geocentrism.
    It does make an intresting comment on peoples openness to persusion by unqualified sources, as the creationists are so fond of saying; "You need an open mind" though and open mind is like a fortess, with its gate unbarred and unguarded.
    Why pray when you can Google?

open mind is like a fortess, with its gate unbarred and unguarded.
    Dawn of War FTW!
    There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

Evolution.

The evilutionist conspiracy tm threatened to kill my dog if I didn't vote for them.

Or at the very least turn him into a cat.

Archangel Guest
    Creationism for sure. I'm not big on fairy tales for adults.

I voted for evolution, and agree completely with Ripskar - creationism contradicts reality and requires a suspension of reality to believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Oh, really? I thought for sure you were a big Bible literalist, but apparently you really aren't.

That was stand up comedy. You believe despite all evidence that the flood happened because God fixed the problems.

Btw: what's your take on geology since it supports evolution and therefore a 'fairy tale?'

How do you power your car and home?

Or have you just put me on ignore because you resent the numerous titanic sized holes i punched in your belief system?
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

Good one sport! I hope to god your tongue is planted firmly in cheek when you typed this.
    There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucusaur View Post
    Good one sport! I hope to god your tongue is planted firmly in cheek when you typed this.
    Not at all Mucusaur, Just because the truth of the bible can't be proven scientifically, it doesn't mean it isn't the spiritual record of truth regarding the origins of Man. Am I capable of explaining every question we have ? NO! But that surely shouldn't be a reason to reject it as the absolute truth that it is. I guess that's where the faith comes in, huh ?
    Last edited by Archangel; 05-02-2007 at 08:07 AM.

I guess that's where the faith comes in, huh ?
    I don't normally bother picking up typo's but you've spelt 'dogmatic adherence' wrongly here.

Not at all Mucusaur, Just because the truth of the bible can't be proven scientifically, it doesn't mean it isn't the spiritual record of truth regarding the origins of Man. Am I capable of explaining every question we have ? NO! But that surely shouldn't be a reason to reject it as the absolute truth that it is. I guess that's where the faith comes in, huh ?
    Blind faith is just a part of religion, any religion. The problem comes when your blind faith is disproved by science. Science is based on results, repeatable results, these results convert easily into facts. Why is it so hard for these people who are stuck in their blind faith to except facts over fantasy?