Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you prove your belief system is true?

Can you prove your belief system is true?

Anyone can prove to a fellow believer that their belief system is true.

If you and I both believe in leprechauns, I shouldn’t have a hard time convincing you they exist. The hard part is convincing an unbeliever.

We can not convince an unbeliever that our belief system is true, because ultimately all belief systems are built on faith, which has no acceptable proof to any but the faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by BeHereNow View Post

If you and I both believe in leprechauns, I shouldn’t have a hard time convincing you they exist. The hard part is convincing an unbeliever.

We can not convince an unbeliever that our belief system is true, because ultimately all belief systems are built on faith, which has no acceptable proof to any but the faithful.
    My belief system says all belief systems are false, including my own. Kill the Buddha!
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

sinjin: Kill the Buddha!
    I wacked him with my spade and he lives no more!
    I have planted him where my tomatoes will grow, as he will provide good fertilizer and at least be of some use.

I wacked him with my spade and he lives no more!
    I have planted him where my tomatoes will grow, as he will provide good fertilizer and at least be of some use.
    Excellent! Now to get down to some serious attachment.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

I cannot prove that my belief in my specific God is true any more then I can prove that leprechauns, unicorns, the flying spaghetti monster, magical space monkeys and living care bears exists. That doesn't mean I don't believe in God however.
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

Yes, actually I can.

It's just that most are unable to accept the TRUTH!

I would do so now but would 1st have to outline such a belief which I have neither the time nor energy to do.
    Furthermore, knowledge is powah(tm). To state my belief(s) would allow the reader certain knowledge of me. Mere possession of such knowledge has been proven to be detrimental to my wellbeing in the past which leads me to believe it would also be so in the future.
    -God couldn't be everywhere, that's why we have America.
    -Use the Force...because prayer doesn't work.
    -If I mock you on a forum board...and you're too stupid to know...are you really being mocked?
    -Joseph of Nazareth said: "Healthy White baby, 5 year wait? What else you got?" to which the adoption agency replied "A Norse kid born with his heart on the outside. Hey, Zeus come 'er!"
    -"The only way to win is not to pray." - WOPR

peteratwar Guest

Exactly what do you mean by true ?

True in a subjective sense ? or true in the sense of universally so ?

What would be the proof you require ?

peteratwar Exactly what do you mean by true ?

True in a subjective sense ? or true in the sense of universally so ?

What would be the proof you require ?
    I mean “true” in the sense that others who have differing belief systems would agree with you. We might say “objectively true”, but this would be an overstatement.
    For my comment, it does not matter if the belief system if a reflection of reality.

The proof would be that someone with a differing belief systems says, “By golly peteratwar, you are right. You have shown me that your system is correct, and mine is mistaken.
    You may wish to point out that this might occur in the case of religious conversions. By religious conversions I mean into or away from a particular religion.
    Religions all have certain belief systems, and individuals come in and out of religions every day. Thus they abandon their own belief system in favor of another.
    My experience is that religious conversions do not occur on boards such as this.

Of course if a person converts to your belief system, they no longer have a differing belief system.

Although it may not have been clear in my OP, I meant to say that two individuals who retain differing belief systems, will never accept the core beliefs of the other individual.

Hopes this helps.

peteratwar Guest
    I mean “true” in the sense that others who have differing belief systems would agree with you. We might say “objectively true”, but this would be an overstatement.
    For my comment, it does not matter if the belief system if a reflection of reality.

The proof would be that someone with a differing belief systems says, “By golly peteratwar, you are right. You have shown me that your system is correct, and mine is mistaken.
    You may wish to point out that this might occur in the case of religious conversions. By religious conversions I mean into or away from a particular religion.
    Religions all have certain belief systems, and individuals come in and out of religions every day. Thus they abandon their own belief system in favor of another.
    My experience is that religious conversions do not occur on boards such as this.

Of course if a person converts to your belief system, they no longer have a differing belief system.

Although it may not have been clear in my OP, I meant to say that two individuals who retain differing belief systems, will never accept the core beliefs of the other individual.

Hopes this helps.
    Clearly that isn't proof. It is only that someone believes you may be right.

Core beliefs need to be clarified as to meaning.

A large number of ethical beliefs in various religions are very similar

Clearly that isn't proof. It is only that someone believes you may be right.
    Sorry, that is the proof that someone with a different belief system has accepted yours as true. I believe what you mean is that that is not proof that a particular belief system is in harmony with reality. As I said “For my comment, it does not matter if the belief system if a reflection of reality.”

Core beliefs need to be clarified as to meaning.
    If you see a need, you may have at it.

A large number of ethical beliefs in various religions are very similar
    Certainly an understatement.

er isnt this stating the blinding obvious, philosophically, what is the contention of this thread / musing?

Archangel Guest
    What I find most interesting is that God never once attempts to prove His existence through out the whole bible. It's like if I asked you to prove you exist. You would say how ridiculous a request as we are speaking now so you know I exist. Well so is it with God. We have His complete Creation as proof of His existence. We our selves are made in His image so are evidence, and testify of His existence and Glory. Our creativity, imaginations, capacity to love and nurture not only each other but the lower life forms that He entrusted to us prove we have His capacity to care, as corrupted as we are due to our fallen nature.

All of these things testify to Gods existence. But we must be willing to acknowledge Him, and that means we must humble ourselves before such a great and powerful God. But many prefer denial to submission, so they refuse to accept that life, the World, and all of creation is His in the final analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    What I find most interesting is that God never once attempts to prove His existence through out the whole bible. It's like if I asked you to prove you exist. You would say how ridiculous a request as we are speaking now so you know I exist. Well so is it with God. We have His complete Creation as proof of His existence. We our selves are made in His image so are evidence, and testify of His existence and Glory. Our creativity, imaginations, capacity to love and nurture not only each other but the lower life forms that He entrusted to us prove we have His capacity to care, as corrupted as we are due to our fallen nature.

All of these things testify to Gods existence. But we must be willing to acknowledge Him, and that means we must humble ourselves before such a great and powerful God. But many prefer denial to submission, so they refuse to accept that life, the World, and all of creation is His in the final analysis.
    "What I find most interesting" is to consider a humanity purged of the chronic scourge of rabid religion. How much more pleasant, and saner would the world be. And how many Indigenous peoples around the planet would have continued to survive and thrive unmolested by what i consider the evilest of all manmade plagues, religion.

Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jackamarra View Post
    "What I find most interesting" is to consider a humanity purged of the chronic scourge of rabid religion. How much more pleasant, and saner would the world be. And how many Indigenous peoples around the planet would have continued to survive and thrive unmolested by what i consider the evilest of all manmade plagues, religion.
    But the question is Can you prove your belief system is true? And all you've done is spew hate for religion but haven't even tried to actually answer the question. And ask yourself this. If the idea of God is such a man made plague, then God doesn't even exist right ? So if God doesn't exist then what has He done to you to make you so venomous and angry at him ? Why would you be so angry at a non existent being ? I challenge you to come up with a rational answer.

But the question is Can you prove your belief system is true? And all you've done is spew hate for religion but haven't even tried to actually answer the question.
    Wrong: I answered the thread, noting it was a redundant musing, ergo it can not be "actually answered"

And ask yourself this. If the idea of God is such a man made plague, then God doesn't even exist right ? So if God doesn't exist then what has He done to you to make you so venomous and angry at him ? Why would you be so angry at a non existent being ? I challenge you to come up with a rational answer.
    god has done nothing to me because he does not exist! It is the noxious rabid believers who insist right up into the new millenium to poison society with their sanctimonous fanaticism that has and continues to hurt and stupefy so many.

I trust this to be a "rational answer".