Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the purpose of uniforms?

What is the purpose of uniforms?

Honestly, what is the purpose of uniforms? We already know that what you wear has nothing to do with violence in the schools. We already know the uniforms dont teach kids to make fun of each other less. So what is the real purpose? To teach them discipline? To sqash thier individuality? What the heck are these uniform advocates trying to accomplish?
    "They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years, and [heck], we're not using it anymore."
    -Jay Leno

Eh...what?
    There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by USAalltheWay View Post
    its a like dis here, ifin a gurl is a showin her twato den it becomes a moralitues deel yu sees da guys git in fites over who isa gona git it foist den the fites and killins begin yu see
    weel nu doe! we wud hef a drees coad dat pwohibeeted dat kienda ting!
    "They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years, and [heck], we're not using it anymore."
    -Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by Shooterandproud View Post
    Honestly, what is the purpose of uniforms? We already know that what you wear has nothing to do with violence in the schools.
    Not true where gang coplors are a problem.

We already know the uniforms dont teach kids to make fun of each other less.
    True - they will find some reason to pick.

So what is the real purpose? To teach them discipline? To sqash thier individuality? What the heck are these uniform advocates trying to accomplish?
    I suspect - less worries about appropriate dress.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by USAalltheWay View Post
    its a like dis here, ifin a gurl is a showin her twato den it becomes a moralitues deel yu sees da guys git in fites over who isa gona git it foist den the fites and killins begin yu see
    Apparently uniforms won't help with the teaching of grammar and spelling either.

I ran this through microsoft word and chose the most intresting spelling suggestions.
    its a like dips here, if in a girl is a showing her twits den it becomes a moralities duel you sees day guys get in fêtes over who visa gonad get it foist den the fetes and killings begin you see
    lol
    Last edited by Matthew S; 10-03-2006 at 07:32 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time one of the Republican presidential candidates speak all I hear is the sound of the marching boots of the Brown shirts.

"Saying I can't get married because it violates your religion is like me saying you can't eat donuts because it violates my diet!" -------anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S View Post
    Apparently uniforms won't help with the teaching of grammer and spelling either.
    Grammar Matthew...Grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    Grammar Matthew...Grammar.
    lol thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time one of the Republican presidential candidates speak all I hear is the sound of the marching boots of the Brown shirts.

"Saying I can't get married because it violates your religion is like me saying you can't eat donuts because it violates my diet!" -------anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S View Post
    lol thanks
    haha, I do it all the time...I got no room to speak

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    haha, I do it all the time...I got no room to speak
    Yep, I think we all have problems with speling from time to time
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?" - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by zachvac View Post
    Yep, I think we all have problems with speling from time to time
    Yes, we all do. I don't try to make fun of people's spelling or grammar unless its REALLY bad.
    -Jay Leno

Well one of the reason for school uniforms are so kids cannot conceal weapons like guns or knives. On that Michael Moore, Bowling for Columbine, thing they had a clip of this kid wearing baggy pants who could conceal so many guns!!

So one purpose of it is to have specific measurements so kids can't hid knives and such.

Another thing is when schools get problems with girls dressing like (insert appropriate word here) or people wearing shirts with inappropriate sayings and such.

I noticed the mention of grammar here. Everyone here should download the Fire Fox 2, It has a handy spell checker that works on all the forums and text boxes, it underlines with red, basically same format as Microsoft Word spelling error point out.

peteratwar Guest
    Stops fashion parades/arguments; sense of belonging; you are all the same albeit individuals

Quote Originally Posted by yb-yellow View Post
    Well one of the reason for school uniforms are so kids cannot conceal weapons like guns or knives. On that Michael Moore, Bowling for Columbine, thing they had a clip of this kid wearing baggy pants who could conceal so many guns!!

So one purpose of it is to have specific measurements so kids can't hid knives and such.

Another thing is when schools get problems with girls dressing like (insert appropriate word here) or people wearing shirts with inappropriate sayings and such.

I noticed the mention of grammar here. Everyone here should download the Fire Fox 2, It has a handy spell checker that works on all the forums and text boxes, it underlines with red, basically same format as Microsoft Word spelling error point out.
    The word you are searching for is slut. I think a dress code is probably more appropriate than uniforms as uniforms really restrict comfort level

Honestly, what is the purpose of uniforms?
    To eliminate class envy...
    If atheism is a religion, then "bald" is a hair color.

Quote Originally Posted by doG View Post
    To eliminate class envy...
    It won't.

Maybe in an adults mind, but if you think kids growing up are envious over ONLY clothing you're missing something.....hair, popularity, driving to school as opposed to the bus....and on and on.....kids know who the big shots are in school and who aren't. The smaller kids still get picked on, the fat kids, quiet kids, new kids....it doesn't matter. Enforce a good dress code minimizes the "have/have nots" that kids deal with. But keep in mind, learning to deal properly with that fact is part of growing up anyway.
    You have to stop blaming the kids for their parents short comings. The parents need to get more active and show better parenting skills before an entire school system will turn around. Slapping uniforms on kids is an adults "easy fix" that will only allow the parents to take an even more HANDS OFF approach to their kids lives.