Thread: Boeing

Boeing

I am wondering what yall think of Boeing stock.
    I personally think that it is a worthwhile investment especially sometime this coming month. September is usually always one of the roughest months for the stock market and Boeing stock is way off its 52 wk high. It has a future P/E hovering around 17 which is great for a large cap growth company like Boeing and they are landing deals all over the place. They are having to shutdown the plant in LBC but that is only a hiccup I believe. If Boeing can land the newest border patrol contract though (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, and Ericsson are all vying for the border contract but it seems Boeing is the favorite) Boeing will be sitting on another major defense contract that would be quite lucrative. Furthermore, Airbus is sucking wind and Boeing has been battering them all over the place. With all these factors, I don't see why Boeing is only par with the market. I think Boeing is preparing itself for a nice bump in its stock price soon maybe even to triple digits. Any thoughts?
    A rising tide lifts all boats. -Econmist adage

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -John Stuart Mill

What people are waiting on when it comes to boeing is for the airbus situation to solidify to the point that they can get a reasonable prediction together regarding expectations.

Personally, I have trouble recommending any domestic equities right now. We are without doubt headed for some pretty severe economic problems in the US over the next few years and the stock market is always a casualty.

Look into canadian stocks. Several are cross listed, so you can make your investmetn in loonies but still not have to pay foreign investment taxes (grey area, but it has always worked for me). This will protect you from inflation as well as giving your money a chance to grow.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Well, I have to say that I am quite pleased with my positions in Boeing (stock symbol: BA) since I posted this thread. $75.24 was the closing price on August 24th and Boeing is trading at around $90.50 today. I made this post originally because this stock (and a few others) are my "playing around" stocks. On a normal basis, I would be doing much more long term plays than 4 months. I will probably keep positions in Boeing for the long term. I think I'll hold it for a little while longer and hope for triple digits.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Judeau View Post
    Well, I have to say that I am quite pleased with my positions in Boeing (stock symbol: BA) since I posted this thread. $75.24 was the closing price on August 24th and Boeing is trading at around $90.50 today. I made this post originally because this stock (and a few others) are my "playing around" stocks. On a normal basis, I would be doing much more long term plays than 4 months. I will probably keep positions in Boeing for the long term. I think I'll hold it for a little while longer and hope for triple digits.
    Boeing stock increased due to the problems at Airbus and the fact that several customers that had placed orderes for their new (now delayed) plane switched their orders to boeing.

I still consult for boeing on the operations side so I am somewhat limited in what I can say. I will say that you need to keep a close eye on the stock, and make sure you can liquidate it quickly if need be, because there may be factors that are not in the public eye that may become important in the next 6 or 8 months.

I can say (since there was a newspaper article abotu it not long ago) that some might find it suspicious that despite the increases in orders that have helped drive the stock, Boeing does not seem to be doing much to bring new capacity online or to accelerate production. The person who wrote the article suggested that there was a chance that the orders they have announced are possibly not as set in stone as they would have people believe, and that maybe many of these orders are not secured by an actual purchase contract, and they are expecting to loose some of them when Airbus finally gets their act together.

That sounds extremely reasonable to me.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Yeah, Airbus is not going to be mucking around forever. They were hounding Boeing for a while between 2000 and 2005. Then they went to that A380 which is just not as demanded as single aisle, 100+ seat commercial jetliners. That's why 737s sell so quickly. Airbus set a goal for 20% of the market share and in 2004 had 30%. Their next goal was 37% but they have since had problems and dropped way down. Hopefully, Boeing will capitalize to the fullest. But again, this is a stock I am just playing around with. Your post has been noted.

-John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    Boeing stock increased due to the problems at Airbus and the fact that several customers that had placed orderes for their new (now delayed) plane switched their orders to boeing.

I still consult for boeing on the operations side so I am somewhat limited in what I can say. I will say that you need to keep a close eye on the stock, and make sure you can liquidate it quickly if need be, because there may be factors that are not in the public eye that may become important in the next 6 or 8 months.

I can say (since there was a newspaper article abotu it not long ago) that some might find it suspicious that despite the increases in orders that have helped drive the stock, Boeing does not seem to be doing much to bring new capacity online or to accelerate production. The person who wrote the article suggested that there was a chance that the orders they have announced are possibly not as set in stone as they would have people believe, and that maybe many of these orders are not secured by an actual purchase contract, and they are expecting to loose some of them when Airbus finally gets their act together.

That sounds extremely reasonable to me.
    Japan is producing the majority of the new Boeing 787 in new, dedicated Japanese owned plants. Those Japanese companies are partners in the production. Japanese automated production includes the major components of wing box and wings, the heart of any airliner. Only final assembly will take place at Boeing's totally unionized WA facilities. With the Asia/Pacific market being the largest for airliner sales, that's one short step away from a Japanese or Asian airliner.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

post 5 times

post five times