Thread: TV Antenna

TV Antenna

Our TV reception at home has markedly deteriorated over the years. I attribute the fickle reception due to the fact that the antenna is in the attic and trees have matured on the property, obscuring a good signal.

We're considering subscription dish service, but I'm thinking that an antenna will still be needed to access the local channels without incurring an extra monthly fee. (We have three TVs, one on each level, and would like good reception on them all.)

My thought, if it becomes necessary, is to move the antenna outside, extended above the roofline. My initial question is this: What kind of wire should be run from the antenna to the splitter--300 ohm flat wire or coaxial cable?
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

I would suggest skipping satellite and going with cable. Local channels come in fine without any extra fee.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

Cable isn't offered out here in the sticks.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

Quote Originally Posted by billsco
    Cable isn't offered out here in the sticks.
    Wow, really?! That sucks.

Sorry my advise wasn't helpful.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

Use the coax. Better signal integrity. More abrasion-resistant. There's lotsa reasons.
    (I'm a Mstr. electrician)
    Don't Panic

We ended up not using the antenna, and pay a small monthly fee for local TV access. It's kind of irritating, but what can you do.

The dish installer had his own theory why we were experiencing poor reception. He said the coax cable running from the antenna and through the walls was probably worn out, seeing that it was installed over twenty years ago. What do you think of that?

The coax itself wouldn't necessarily "wear out", not to a point where you'd suffer noticeably. By that I mean that unless it were subjected to severe stress or abrasion it's essentially only the outer jacket that will change, due to sunlight, etc. That wouldn't affect the inner, conductive part of the cable at all.

In general, the less connections/splices made the better. Coax can be purchased in huge lengths, so it's always best to make single runs out of it. One outlet (tv jack) = one wire feeding it from the source.

While I'm not trying to disparage the dish installer, or his judgement since I don't know the man, I'd still point out that he stands to make money replacing your "worn out" cable. It's a job you can easily do yourself w/a minimum of physical fitness and some simple tools.
    Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by billsco View Post
    Our TV reception at home has markedly deteriorated over the years. I attribute the fickle reception due to the fact that the antenna is in the attic and trees have matured on the property, obscuring a good signal.

We're considering subscription dish service, but I'm thinking that an antenna will still be needed to access the local channels without incurring an extra monthly fee. (We have three TVs, one on each level, and would like good reception on them all.)

My thought, if it becomes necessary, is to move the antenna outside, extended above the roofline. My initial question is this: What kind of wire should be run from the antenna to the splitter--300 ohm flat wire or coaxial cable?
    Even though you've solved your problem, do remember in the future that antenna cabling should be impedance matched. There's 300 ohm twin lead, 75 ohm coax, blah blah blah. You need to match the impedance of the antenna.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.