Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me

Help Me

Ok, folks, help me pick a baby name.

Little boy, he will be coming next wednesday, and the wife and I still have no idea what to name him.

Suggestions, please!!
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

First of all, not Sue
    Second, are there any men in either your family or your wife's family that might care about having the baby named after them?
    Of course, if you haven't given much thought to it, you could probibly find plenty of books on names and what they mean. You may even find one on the internet though I don't know where there is a trustworthy one.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

Or if you just want a list, here's some:
    Matthew
    Sam
    David
    Alexander
    Robert
    William
    Bruce
    John
    Richard
    Brad
    Jacob
    Peter
    George
    Tom
    Jim

You know, just to name 15
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

-Meat Loaf

Quote Originally Posted by Ooaman
    First of all, not Sue
    Second, are there any men in either your family or your wife's family that might care about having the baby named after them?
    Of course, if you haven't given much thought to it, you could probibly find plenty of books on names and what they mean. You may even find one on the internet though I don't know where there is a trustworthy one.
    We have the books. Just havign trouble narrowing it down. It does not help that my wife is beset by late stage preganancy induced insanity, including the inability to make any kind of decision.

Nobody in the family particularly comes to mind as far as folks to name the baby after. We named my last son after my father in law.

Probably will pass on "sue". We were considering "Tristen", a gallic name, and one of the knights of the round table, then somebody pointed out that they knew a half dozen girls named tristen, but no boys. I don't want to stick my son with a girls name. I understand that he has to go to high school with whatever name we give him

Looking for something that would look good with CEO or PHD behind it, or Dr in front of it.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by daewoo
    Probably will pass on "sue". We were considering "Tristen", a gallic name, and one of the knights of the round table, then somebody pointed out that they knew a half dozen girls named tristen, but no boys. I don't want to stick my son with a girls name. I understand that he has to go to high school with whatever name we give him
    Oh good, I was joking about that anyway. Hince the clown.
    Looking for something that would look good with CEO or PHD behind it, or Dr in front of it.
    Hopefully, you will let your son choose his own path...
    Would you also be willing to have his name with "Acadamy Award Winning Actor" or "Best New Artist Of The Year," at the Grammy's?
    Or some sport's MVP of the year?
    -Bob Seger

-Meat Loaf

Quote Originally Posted by Ooaman
    Oh good, I was joking about that anyway. Hince the clown.

Hopefully, you will let your son choose his own path...
    Would you also be willing to have his name with "Acadamy Award Winning Actor" or "Best New Artist Of The Year," at the Grammy's?
    Or some sport's MVP of the year?
    I am pretty much fine with whatever my kids do, as long as they are happy and are not coming around every week sponging money off of me.

I have this theory on that. I think that regardless of what plans you may have for somebody, or how well they may do on a path not of their choosing, they will do better on a path that they choose on their own. Oddly enough, it seems like children end up mirroring their parents, regardless of how repugnant they may find them

When I was younger I was quite the little rebel (hellion). I hated my father with a passion and swore I would NEVER be like dad. Now I am a little older and I am exactly like my dad. I even look like my dad.

Funny story. I bought a new car last month, a Q45 with the berrylium paint. I went to Kansas City for a meeting and stopped at my folks to say "hi". Sitting in the driveway was a brand new Q45. Dad went with the silver instead of the berylium, but said it was close. neitehr one of us even knew that the other was in the market for a new car, but we both ended up with the same car.

As a side note, I REALLY LIKE the Q45. I think it is a better value than an S class.

I was very careful when we picked my son's name because I did not want him to have trouble with his name as I did. My first name is Donnie and most people just assume that my "real" name is Donald. Since my middle name is Wayne, I could not use my initial followed by my middle name because people then assumed my name was Dewayne. I just changed it to Don and now the wife is the only one that calls me Donnie. I named my son John after his grandfathers and selected Patrick as his middle name. Now he is known as Patrick or Pat and probably not turn around if you called John.
    On the cruel side, I had a guy friend whose name was Honey and I read about a family with last name Dwoops that named their son Wayne and another family named Head that named their son Richard. There is a well known financial adviser whose last name is Dover and first name is Benjamin.
    That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
    – Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dono
    ...another family named Head that named their son Richard...
    I hope their son made it through middle school alright.
    -Bob Seger

-Meat Loaf

what will be the last name? Of course I think Zach has quite a nice ring to it regardless of the last name
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?" - Chris Rock

I have this theory on that. I think that regardless of what plans you may have for somebody, or how well they may do on a path not of their choosing, they will do better on a path that they choose on their own. Oddly enough, it seems like children end up mirroring their parents, regardless of how repugnant they may find them .
    My son, with no urging from me, went into the same line of work I did. It is with great pride that I see him as better at it than the old man ever was.
    Dono
    That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
    – Theodore Roosevelt

Scandinavian names (link is Swedish list of popular names in Sweden) are the trend around here: Since you also considered Gallic names, maybe something like Björn, Sven, Olof (Olav), Leif, Kjell, Ingmar or something in that direction tickles your fancy?

For a more common name, I haven't met a Ruben I didn't like yet.
    Last edited by Rovdak; 07-06-2006 at 03:57 AM.
    Life may not be exactly pleasant, but it is at least not dull. Heave yourself into Hell today, and you may miss, tomorrow or next day, another Scopes trial, or another War to End War, or perchance a rich and buxom widow with all her first husband's clothes. There are always more Hardings hatching. I advocate hanging on as long as possible.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by zachvac
    what will be the last name? Of course I think Zach has quite a nice ring to it regardless of the last name
    the last time I gave out my last name on a forum, I got a dead squirrel in the mail, and some liberal idiot who did not like my stance on social programs drove down from Manhattan with several rolls of toilet paper to learn 2 things:

1. Sometimes signs that say "electrified fence" MEAN electrified fence
    2. Whiel it works really well in movies, trained attack dogs will NOT let you wander on by if you toss them a hot dog.

So, I don't do that anymore. Suffice it to say my last name starts with a J if that helps.

Ok, I personally am leaning towards "Connor".

what does everybody think of Connor?

It's alright. What is your ethnic heritage?

Here's a few I'll never get a chance to use:

Talon
    Race
    Xander
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

"Conner" is good. My grandson has a friend on his 6-year olds baseball team that is named Conner (a good little ballplayer). My grandson was given a family name ("Steed") as his middle name. The only problem is that some people think it is "Steve". Using family names as middle names used to be common, and in some cases sounds good.
    – Theodore Roosevelt