Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.

What do you do for a living?

I certainly don't want to put anyone on the spot, but I was curious what people do for a living here. I think it is important for a site like this to have a broad base of people from all walks of life, so I just started thinking about it and started to wonder what everyone does for a living. Please do not be afraid to write student...for those of you out there.

I myself work both as a paramedic and a pilot for an air cargo service.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

well I'm a high school student, although I'm looking to get a summer job for after school gets out.
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?" - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by snakespit
    I certainly don't want to put anyone on the spot, but I was curious what people do for a living here. I think it is important for a site like this to have a broad base of people from all walks of life, so I just started thinking about it and started to wonder what everyone does for a living. Please do not be afraid to write student...for those of you out there.
    This definitely would be interesting to see. I'm surprised no one's thought of it before.
    I'm currently a student, but will be graduating in May with a bachelor's in social work. I'm job hunting right now actually. I'm hoping to get a job at my practicum placement (my internship) because I love it there, but I don't know if that's a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit
    I myself work both as a paramedic and a pilot for an air cargo service.
    Interesting combination. How'd that happen?
    Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think.
    -John Stuart Mill

As of right now, I'm a college student. I also do sound and tech at my church. It's volunteer work, but a lot of times, it sure does feel like a job. Not that I hate doing it, I just get overly stressed over both. As of now, that's where I stand.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

i am a clinical engineer, i repair madical equipment in a hospital.
    I ONLY APPOLIGE FOR MY SPELLING!

federal code defining the militia, look it up for your self.
    Title 10, Subtitle A, Part I, chapter 13, Sec. 311.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” — Theodore Roosevelt.

A potentially shocking person am I!

Professional Electrical Engineer of the Third Kind
    A non-professional musician with a sore thumb
    A professed drinker of spirits
    A lover and protector of women
    A mentor to those who can't find help elsewhere

in no certain order!
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gelogy student In University College Dublin.

Exams start in one week. Bugger
    There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

A Part Time Lecturer at Glasgow Caledonian University with interests in Games Programming, 3D Programming and AI.

I have also just been offered a 15 month post as a research at my work place, but I can't talk about it. If I tell you I have to kill you.
    Is there for honest Poverty
    That hings his head, and a' that;
    The coward-slave, we pass him by,
    We dare be poor for a 'that!
    For a ' that and a' that,
    Our toils obscure, and a 'that,
    The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
    The Man's the gowd for a 'that.

A Man's A Man for A' That - Rabbie Burns

What job do I do for a living?

Well, the job I have doesn't pay enough to make a living, therefore, I would say I am a professional mooch.

Hey, it pays the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucusaur
    Geology student In University College Dublin.

Exams start in one week. Bugger
    Excellent. Ace those exams.

I'm a geologist myself. Completed my MSc. and then went to work in the Canadian oil/gas industry.

It's a great profession, with a bright future, whether you go into oil/gas, mining, or research.

As they say, if you truly enjoy what you do for a living, it's not really work.

Waxy

P.S. Send me a PM if you want to "talk shop".

I spent 32 years in the field of computer systems maintenance. I spent 16 years installing and maintaining large computer systems, starting as a Customer Service Engineer and finishing as National Field Service Manager. I then spent 16 years selling maintenance contracts to corporations. I am retired now, and spend my time building contraptions and spoiling my seven grandkids.
    That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
    – Theodore Roosevelt

I own and manage an outdoor recreation facility. I am also a musician and songwriter currently working on our second CD release. We also tour alot during my off season when it's too cold to play outside.

Self employed all the way !!!

Student doing my masters at the moment in biotech and pharmaceuticals (more or less). Probably could have guessed as much from most of my posts anyway

No idea what I'll do next, probably try to find a job unless someone offers me a Phd.

Retired, professional career in corporate finance on the treasury side followed by consulting in that field on the raider side, followed by small-medium business ownership interests followed by passive investor. Still like to talk about all of it to keep track of our economic state but no desire to be an active participant. Lots of hobbies/interests, golf and spectator sports being the exceptions.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

In my final term of an MSci Theoretical Physics and Mathematics. Next year I'm going to be training to teach maths.