Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 52 of 52

Thread: Are children far too spoiled in this day and age?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Oz
    Posts
    3,253
    Since you believe people have the right to engage in social contract, please explain where this so-called right comes from? You probably think it comes from God, you religious nutjob, get a grip.
    Last edited by Symbiote; 11-04-2009 at 03:54 AM.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

    ~ Gandhi

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Symbiote View Post
    It isn't pre-eminent. As you agreed, "A general principle is valid universally."

    A right isn't a right if sometimes a different right is "pre-eminent" and supercedes it.
    Then it follows that the property right does not supercedes liberty (freedom of speech)
    it also follows that not one right is more universal than another as you stated in your previous post: property right is more universal than freedom of speech. How can one universal be more universal than another. Illogical.




    Spurious argument. You can't make a rightful contract unless you have a right to make a contract. If rights exist they necessarily precede society. I don't believe in god. God and social contract don't exhaust the available options, this is a false dichotomy.
    Wrong. If you are Robinson Crusoe you don't need rights or looking at it from your point of view he has all rights. if you live outside society then where are your rights? would you demand rights? from whom? from God? Rights are individuals rights inside a society. No society no rights. Period

    Rights do not precede society our needs precede society. A bill of right is a codification of what we consider the minimum protection as individuals from other individuals and from our rulers.

    You can't make a rightful contract unless you have a right to make a contract
    .

    and to have a right to make a contract you need a previous right and so on and so on ...

    Ridiculous, unless rights are assumed to be God given.

    We simply have a group of people who decide to enter in a social contract and the social contract has some clauses regarding the protection that indivuduals will have upon signing the contract, these protections are called human rights.
    What do you mean by saying that they need a 'right'? what do you mean by that, a letter of authorisation by a higher power, what ?

    I don't see how property rights can be extended to our own body, we are our own bodies. only rights to life, to freedom of movement, etc are pertinent to our own bodies not 'property rights' I went along with your bizarre extrapolation of property rights into the human body to show how absurd it is.

    How ridiculous the statement "I have property rights over my body" sounds.
    Kind of crazy although maybe not to an economist.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Oz
    Posts
    3,253
    Perhaps I'm the fool for arguing with someone who says they have no right to the use of their own body.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

    ~ Gandhi

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,870
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSartre12 View Post
    Yet another hairflip, Winston? You've got to hold the record for the most fake hairflips by now. I've witnessed at least a half dozen of them myself.

    Of course, you wion't really leave.....you never do. And don't worry about the Admin banning you for a single violation. I've had more than my share and I'm still here.


    Looks like you were right.
    Richard Dawkins quote..
    .'I dont think its a very important question whether Jesus existed. Some historians.. MOST historians think he did.
    I dont really care, precisely because its petty. Maybe I've alluded to the possibilty that some historians think Jesus never existed. I take that back Jesus existed........

  5. #50
    JPSartre12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Looks like you were right.
    When it comes to one of Winston's hairflips, it's a gimme.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    A general principle is valid universally. Period

    what you are saying really, is that there is no free speech in this forum.

    I agree with the :

    "Or in this case, if the forum owner wants to ban you, so be it."

    So be it.
    Of course they can ban you. Honestly, I'm surprised you're still on here. You hate Americans like the KKK hates black people. Subaru was banned for the same thing, I believe.
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I don’t see why the right to own property is according to you pre-eminent. Maybe because you see everything thru the crystal of Economics.

    IMHO rights are not God given but part of a social contract. The basic rights are: the right to life and liberty and lastly the right to property. I don’t see what the right to property has to do with freedom of speech. You can in theory have no rights to own property but still have freedom of speech.
    There is no physical property involved in a forum. All it happens is that in this gathering place some people the Big Brothers can silence or expel (same thing) those they wish to silence.
    Property right is the right to usufruct not to curtail or grant freedom of speech to those entering the property. Do you warn your visitors that no freedom of speech is granted to those who enter your property?
    Public property and private property are different. If I invite friends over to watch the superbowl and bring their friends who are complete strangers to me, I don't want somebody there handing out Neo-Nazi pamphlets. If somebody does and I don't like it, I have every right to tell them to leave, and if they refuse, then I can call the police and say I have an intruder.

    In your private property, you can expel others from your property at will for any reason, or even for no reason. I say "Spread your hate all you want, just don't do it on my property." Even though anyone can join, this is not a public forum. Somewhere exists a person who created this website and presumabley pays a monthly fee for it to be hosted, just like you pay property taxes. That person owns this forum, and if he wanted to, he could legitimately come onto this forum, ban every single one of us for no reason, start posting his views, occasionally saying "So none of you have the backbone to discuss this with me?", and there wouldn't be a thing we could do about it, because it's his property and he would not be breaking any laws by doing that.

    Property rights to my body? I am my body. Besides I don't have property rights to my body, because if the government decides to draft my body, what can I do ?
    That would be a government controlled state, where the government owns everything, including people. WOOT, YEAH, MORE BIG GOVERNMENT! MORE CZARS!
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •