Poll: Books should be banned/censored...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Should Books be Censored/Banned?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    66

    Should Books be Censored/Banned?

    I am doing a reaserch paper on this topic and I came here just to get an opinon from all of you. I, so far, am undecided on whether they should be or not, but hopefully with this poll/thread I can make a decision and start researching it. (And the paper is due in three weeks )

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Don't forget bookstores. If you only ban them in schools and libraries, but not bookstores, people will still be able to get them.

    Nothing builds a strong society better than ignorance, and the first step down the road to ignorance is elimination of non approved ideas. Imagine what great country this will be when nobody has any original thoughts! We will all think and do as we are told likemindless little drones.

    I know it is a lofty goal, but one whihc CAN BE achieved!!!
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    66
    Good point...but I believe that, since it is not owned by the town or is not truely public (or something like that) it cannot be forced to remove a book from a store. That and, from my experiances, children and young adults don't really go to the book store nearly as much has the library or school.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Exactly what kind of books do you think should be banned??
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166
    Freedom of speech requires that banning be banned. There are books that are harmful if read by children, but banning books from adult reach is dangerous.

    Similar to the movie rating system, books should be rated and kept away from those young people who would likely be tainted by reading them.

    After 18, anything goes!
    Last edited by jim's trucking; 05-16-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: teach me to spell speech, please
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Don't ban books, contaminate them with radiation or bioweapon. That way you target the real problem.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    811
    You mean nuke the library from orbit, it's the only way to be sure?
    There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Suburb in Eastern Kansas.
    Posts
    2,328
    I say no banning at all. The only books that should be banned are the ones being read by the person who doesn't want to read it. Since a lot of people have their own ideas of what's offencive and what's not, individuals are the only ones who can decide what they themselves don't want to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking
    Similar to the movie rating system, books should be rated and kept away from those young people who would likely be tainted by reading them.
    That may or may not work. In a lot of respects, the rating system for movies is flawed anyway.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

    I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking
    Freedom of speach requires that banning be banned. There are books that are harmful if read by children, but banning books from adult reach is dangerous.

    Similar to the movie rating system, books should be rated and kept away from those young people who would likely be tainted by reading them.

    After 18, anything goes!
    What kind of books are generally considered harmful to children? Who makes this distinction?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    118
    If for some strange reason you see it necessary to ban books, you're going to start having to ban TV programs, movies, newspapers, websites, and other forms of media that "children may be able to obtain" too.

    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo
    What kind of books are generally considered harmful to children? Who makes this distinction?
    Usually people who have never read the book themselves...
    Keep your words soft and sweet, you never know when you'll have to eat them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo
    Exactly what kind of books do you think should be banned??
    Me nothing...I was agreeing with only the point about bookstores...thats it. I really believe that books and/or any other media type things should not be banned at all. I, In fact had to write a satirical piece on a topic and I did it on censorship also. Ill post it later...for a weekend's notice I guess it didn't turn out so bad.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    66

    Dear Citizens of Perfect

    Grant
    English 11
    Mrs.
    January 21, 2007
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Somewhere in the United States…

    Dear Citizens of Perfect,
    After a unanimous vote of the Village Council on the PDAMA (People Deciding on Art Material Association) the Libraries, movie stores and schools of Perfect will now forcibly comply with the decisions made on reading material by the PDAMA. We hope to keep our children safe from the destructive ideas that books, movies, and television can bring to their growing minds and keep them ‘Perfect.’ Thank you for your cooperation.
    Sincerely,
    Marcus N. Biggs


    Mayor of Perfect
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    January 30, 2006
    PDAMA Update

    Attention people of the United States, for those who have decided on following our advice, we have now updated the list of books and magazines to restrict and/or banned.
    Out of much consideration we have decided that the book Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley, is to be taken off the bookshelves and taken away for good. We have come to this conclusion because of the obscene images and malicious ideas that the Frankenstein monster come up with will emotionally and mentally scar the people who read it. The last thing this country needs is for kids to go and try to sew a body together and try unorthodox ways to bring the thing to life. We hope that this will help keep our children innocent a little longer.


    February 15, 2006
    PDAMA Update

    After weeks of discussion we have decided to put Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, by C.J. Lewis, into our list. We have come to this decision for multiple reasons. The whole concept of having children walk into a wardrobe and get magically transported to a magical world is secretly saying that they have taken illegal materials to get a high and hiding inside a wardrobe so as not to be caught. We decided this because of the unreal and harmful creatures that the children encounter could only have been seen if they were under the influence of an illegal substance. We also believe this book to be banned because how Aslan, the lion, does and says in the book. Aslan is a lion and, in other words, a cat. Do we really want our children’s role model to be a cat? We would think not. We believe that the author is trying to persuade our children subliminally to do as he pleases by basing the hero off of Simba (from the Lion King and is a big role model to children worldwide).



    February 16, 2006
    PDAMA Update

    We have just watched the Disney movie The Lion King and have unanimously agreed that this Disney movie is not for children. We believe so based on the fact that it promotes the consumption of unknown bugs and shows a very explicit scene where Simba and Nala are rubbing heads together way to many times. It also promotes unscientific based theories of how stars are formed by proposing that they are from dead lions. The last thing our children need is to believe that stars come from dead lions and go out and hunt for them to get more stars. This also displays unorthodox voodooish practice by using unknown herbs and sniffing unknown leaves by an unknown monkey creature named Rafiki. The Lion King cannot be allowed to be viewed in any manner.

    Twelve PDAMA updates later…

    January 23, 2007
    PDAMA Update

    After much review we feel that the television show Teletubbies can, and will be, harmful to children. In the teletubby world there are special windmills that create fanciful visions. We cannot allow kids to think that they can get a ‘high’ out of staring at a toy windmill for long periods of time. It is just not natural. The show also views the sun as an innocent laughing baby. This is a horrible picture that could damage our children not only mentally, but physically. Our children would starts staring at the sun for long periods of time trying to see if the baby is actually there or not. That could lead to blindness and other optical problems. The teletubbies also religiously follow an unknown person that talks out of a drainpipe and does whatever she says needs to be done. This fascist-like government would ruin the future vision of freedom of speech and practice that this country hold dear. It may seem harmless now, but next those children will want all of their leaders to be drainpipes. Drainpipe presidents and drainpipe dictators. Everyone will want drainpipes instead of people. Men and women will be a thing of the past and drainpipes will rule the world with absolute power. The human race would be utterly wiped out of the earth.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In response to the January 27, 2007 PDAMA Update from the Mayor of Perfect…

    Dear PDAMA,

    After complying with your last update we have found our libraries, schools and movie/book stores to be completely out of any type of book that people want to read. There seems to be nothing that could replace those reading and viewing materials that you have said should be removed. It seemed like a good idea at the time to really make sure that kids are not corrupted, but there now is nothing to view anymore. All of our children have read or viewed the appropriate materials in which you approved of and since they are not mentally or psychologically challenged because of it they have not changed in any way. They are still as naive about the world then they were a year ago. It seems that the only thing that destroyed our children’s minds were the people that wanted to restrict the material in the first place. We have made a dreadful mistake and now it is our duty as parents to re-provide all the books and media which we have removed and make sure that our children can access them and grow because of it. We have mailed you to say that we do not want anymore updates from your association and would ask never to try and make us go back.
    Sincerely,


    Marcus N. Biggs
    Mayor of Perfect

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    1,242
    What about books on making nailbombs?

    Or books on how to get away with murder?

    Or books on how to torture people most effectively?

    Playing devil's advocate...

    -Wez

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Wez
    What about books on making nailbombs?

    Or books on how to get away with murder?

    Or books on how to torture people most effectively?

    Playing devil's advocate...

    -Wez
    What about fiction books that could be used for that purpose? Reading about the thing is not the same as doing it, and should not be illegal.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Wez
    What about books on making nailbombs?

    Or books on how to get away with murder?

    Or books on how to torture people most effectively?

    Playing devil's advocate...

    -Wez
    I believe that there wouldn't be a problem with that in the first place because that will break a federal law, and, inmost cases, banning books is on the state and community level. There wouldn't need to be a problem about censoring those because there wouldn't be books on that in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •