Thread: iTunes

iTunes

Anyone else hooked on their service? I can't foresee ever buying another prerecorded CD. The ability to pick and choose songs without the usual dog CD fillers is refreshing.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

Yes, I download iTunes. Ninety-nine cents a pop is a deal for songs I enjoy. The only complaint is the number of songs I've searched for that aren't in the catalog. I have some favorites from 20-30 years back that I'd like to add to my collection. But what a treat it is to play the songlist I've downloaded--listening to nothing but songs I've been passionate about.

Wal-Mart has a similar service. Their downloads cost 88 cents. I haven't looked to see what their selections are like, but one of these days I probably will browse around there.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

Other than Bluegrass due to the relatively small audience and often backroom recording labels, I haven't found many mainstream performers they don't have. For $.99/ea, I became self-indulgent and, rather than find them in my music collection, cull specific songs from CDs often copied from other CDs and even analog tapes, I clicked the mouse and took new, digital remastered versions.

Quote Originally Posted by billsco
    Wal-Mart has a similar service. Their downloads cost 88 cents. I haven't looked to see what their selections are like, but one of these days I probably will browse around there.
    I took a look it. They use Windows Media Center as the interface. For a dime a song extra, I'll stay with iTunes Software rather than deal with a another Windows program.

My wife loves it. The convenience factor is first class, allowing individual music libraries and great, easy CDs for the vehicles. I do pay closer attention to system backup.

Quote Originally Posted by georged
    Anyone else hooked on their service? I can't foresee ever buying another prerecorded CD. The ability to pick and choose songs without the usual dog CD fillers is refreshing.
    One of the reasons I abandoned my PC and bought an Apple computer recently was to get the iTunes application as an integrated component of the Mac OS.

I've downloaded quite a lot of stuff and I'm impressed by the ease of use etc: each download costs 79 pence in the UK (= $1.30). My only grumble is that the catalogue of material available in the UK is much smaller than what can be accessed in the US. At least this seems to apply to the genre of American music that gives me most pleasure.

The audio quality I get on CDs burned from iTunes downloads is good.

I'd think split catalogs will eventually merge as what's basically a new industry becomes more sophisticated and cuts overhead costs. Maybe some copyright issues to be hammered out? I've purchased other products from Internet vendors in Canada and the UK using American Express who does the currency exchange as part of the transaction.

My favorite part of iTunes (applicable to Wal-Mart and others offering the same service) is no physical CDs in jewel cases to catalog and maintain. Even the ones I now burn for our vehicles are 'throwaways', meaning they go in the vehicle CD magazine, are discarded when replaced by new recordings.

This should eventually have a major impact on the bricks and mortar retail industry as fewer customers require those labor dependent services. I can't even compare being able to listen to a portion of each song on a full CD in my home and purchasing the ones I want to looking at a packaged CD in a store while reading the song titles.

Quote Originally Posted by georged
    The problem is you don't usually know what most songs on the CD sound like. I like getting CDs and listening to the whole thing, usually the ones they play on the radio are not the best ones. Now sometimes I'll get a whole CD from online (usually $9.99, cheaper than a CD at the stores). And all the songs I have are on my computer where I can transfer whatever songs I want to my MP3 player. But usually if I like the artist enough I'll just get the whole CD rather than just buying a few songs.
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?" - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by zachvac
    The problem is you don't usually know what most songs on the CD sound like. I like getting CDs and listening to the whole thing, usually the ones they play on the radio are not the best ones. Now sometimes I'll get a whole CD from online (usually $9.99, cheaper than a CD at the stores). And all the songs I have are on my computer where I can transfer whatever songs I want to my MP3 player. But usually if I like the artist enough I'll just get the whole CD rather than just buying a few songs.
    Most download sites (and many artist websites) allow limited play of individual cuts, enough to get the tempo, instrument participation and some lyrics. If full lyrics are a concern, a complete CD would be the only answer.

I will say the password to all your download needs :limewire. No spyware nothing. google search it and get it. trust me. Oh and of course I always buy the tracks before I download them (slip slowly into the shadows.......ouch i tripped!!)

I have an iPod full of songs, but my laptop burned out so I lost my iTunes songs. The songs are still on the iPod, but if I install iTunes on my new PC and reformat my iPod, it will erase all the songs. Do you have any ideas on how I can keep my songs and also reformat it to my new PC?