Thread: Steak tricks!

Steak tricks!

Do you have a rare or unique way to cook steaks?

Try this:

Steal a 10 to 12 oz filet. (Mine come from a meat supplier that provides to most of the finer restuarants in the southeast.)

Prepare a relatively hot (7 on a 10 scale) mesquit chacoal fire, about 3 brickettes high all over the grill. Let all brickettes become "ashed".

Top grill with a cast iron slotted grill similar to what you might find on the top of a Franklin wood burning stove. Let the cast iron get hot. (The piece I use is about 1.5 inches high, raising the meat a bit from the hot fire.)

Cook steak about 2 minutes per side on the top, bottom and four sides...letting the slotted cast iron put burn marks on the meat. Continue to cycle rotations, turning the steak 90deg from the original burn so the burn lines form squares on the meat, being careful not to let the meat roll off the grill. Continue to cook in this manner until you think the steak is rare in the center only.

Remove from grill. Butterfly into two steaks. (I use a razor-sharp rocker cutter for this.) You should have two pieces of meat that are rare on one side and in the center only. If too rare, simply cook a bit more with the rare side down.

Feed one side to the dog. Eat the other after doucing with fresh ground pepper, fresh ground sea salt, a smidgeon of Goya Adobo (green cap) seasoning and a tblsp of Worcestershire Sauce or Dale's seasoning. (Unless you're a purist and don't want much seasoning...in this case, stop after the salt and pepper.)
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dog, Bosco, gives this a 2 out of ten. He wants to know why you butterfly the steak, and if douching is preferred to dousing.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

Quote Originally Posted by billsco
    My dog, Bosco, gives this a 2 out of ten. He wants to know why you butterfly the steak, and if douching is preferred to dousing.
    lmao rolf!!
    when man tried to understand nature, theism was born
    when man tried to understand God, atheism was born

Quote Originally Posted by billsco
    Engineers love symmetry.

I do not recommend douching with fresh ground pepper. Doucing and dousing are the same if your mispell dousing.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You just ruined a perfectly nice piece of meat.
    All you need to do is sprinkle with salt and cracked pepper. Sear it good on both sides and cook until just warmed through (I like my meat rare). Meanwhile while it's cooking, reduce some balsalmic vinegar, sugar and a few herbs to a syrupy thickness.
    Now when the steaks are done..Plate them and drizzle the reduction over them(not a lot, but just enough to get the flavour of the syrup. Put more on the side, if you want) and sprinkle just a bit of blue cheese on top. Serve with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and a nice spring salad. Top the meal off with a really smooth and silky Chocolate Mousse.

Very simple..yet elegant and delicious.

If you have a really nice piece of meat like a filet you shouldn't have to do much to it.
    One can't sit and wait for the world to change. One has to be that change

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel
    You just ruined a perfectly nice piece of meat.
    All you need to do is sprinkle with salt and cracked pepper. Sear it good on both sides and cook until just warmed through (I like my meat rare). Meanwhile while it's cooking, reduce some balsalmic vinegar, sugar and a few herbs to a syrupy thickness.
    Now when the steaks are done..Plate them and drizzle the reduction over them(not a lot, but just enough to get the flavour of the syrup. Put more on the side, if you want) and sprinkle just a bit of blue cheese on top. Serve with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and a nice spring salad. Top the meal off with a really smooth and silky Chocolate Mousse.

Very simple..yet elegant and delicious.

If you have a really nice piece of meat like a filet you shouldn't have to do much to it.
    That's a MOO! About the only way to ruin a steak is overcook it...and the filets I use are about 3" thick, still nice and RED in the center after cooking as described. Butterflying it is just a way to half it between two eaters.

All that other stuff you mentioned is just dressin' up the steak into a gourmet meal with dessert. I let someone else do all that.

peteratwar Guest
    Adding some wine can put a nice tang into it

Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking
    That's a MOO! About the only way to ruin a steak is overcook it...and the filets I use are about 3" thick, still nice and RED in the center after cooking as described. Butterflying it is just a way to half it between two eaters.
    Butterflying allows you to make a cut that is a different thickness than others you are cooking the same thickness so they cook evenly.
    Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think.
    -John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Shake
    Butterflying allows you to make a cut that is a different thickness than others you are cooking the same thickness so they cook evenly.
    Can you rephrase that sentence so it makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking
    Can you rephrase that sentence so it makes sense?
    While small, butterfly steaks are yummy if not overcooked.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    While small, butterfly steaks are yummy if not overcooked.
    Bumblebee knees are also tasty when prepared properly. However, like quail, it takes too many to make a decent entree.