Thread: Lighting around the house

Lighting around the house

Since the late 19th century, electric lighting has undergone numerous developments over the years. From the early carbon-arc lamps to the state-of-the-art compact fluorescent lamps today. What we will discuss today are ideas and discussions of how our homes can be made more energy efficient through the wise use of electric lighting.
    Democrats campaigned on transparency. Yessireebob! They're transparent alright! People are seeing RIGHT THROUGH THEM!!

The Official Flag of the American Left
    http://www.worldclassflags.com/productimages/cf_ussr.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman
    Since the late 19th century, electric lighting has undergone numerous developments over the years. From the early carbon-arc lamps to the state-of-the-art compact fluorescent lamps today. What we will discuss today are ideas and discussions of how our homes can be made more energy efficient through the wise use of electric lighting.

I thought energy efficiency was a liberal idea.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time one of the Republican presidential candidates speak all I hear is the sound of the marching boots of the Brown shirts.

"Saying I can't get married because it violates your religion is like me saying you can't eat donuts because it violates my diet!" -------anonymous

Sorry to disappoint you, Matt, but good stewardship isn't political, it's pracitcal and biblical. BTW, I am somewhat of an expert in this field.
    Last edited by Bassman; 11-07-2005 at 06:19 PM. Reason: additions
    Democrats campaigned on transparency. Yessireebob! They're transparent alright! People are seeing RIGHT THROUGH THEM!!

Lighting around the house?

I have six motion sensor units mounted on the house with two big 150 watt floodlights in each. If a squirrel twitches in the backyard night suddenly becomes day for thirty seconds or so.

I don't know how energy efficient these lights are but they do provide security and as a bonus -- they really #### off the neighbors!

What might help, as far as energy efficiency goes; there are CFL (Compact Fluorescent lamp) floodlight bulbs available. Want to know how efficient? You can get more light from a 13 watt CFL as opposed to a 150 watt incandescent light. Personally, for security lighting I prefer High Intensity Discharge (HID) light sources such as High Pressure Sodium or Metal Halide.

We just purchased lighting for a newly constructed home and had considered CFL for interior applications such as closets where appearance wasn't a concern. This website (and others) and our electrical contractor's recommendation were the primary reasons we went with conventional bulbs:

http://members.misty.com/don/cf.html

Of all the CFL negatives, our final decision to not use them was based on:

1. Initial cost versus payback of electrical savings through efficiency is probably far beyond our lifespan.
    2. Possible RFI interference in a wireless PC, communications and weather station reporting atmosphere. I don't want to be constantly rebooting routers.

With regard to outdoor floodlights, I had them wired with an override on the motion sensors. Our location attracts a constant parade of deer, raccoons and turkeys, so to use motion sensors it was either adopt a nocturnal lifestyle or fence the place in with ugly, 8' high deer-proof fencing.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

Quote Originally Posted by Heads_On_Pikes
    Lighting around the house?

I have six motion sensor units mounted on the house with two big 150 watt floodlights in each. If a squirrel twitches in the backyard night suddenly becomes day for thirty seconds or so.

I don't know how energy efficient these lights are but they do provide security and as a bonus -- they really #### off the neighbors!
    Slightly paranoid?

Afraid of evil man eating squirrels entering your home and having you for dinner?
    Admittedly, the concept of the Straussian text is one susceptible to intellectual mischief in the form of wild claims about the esoteric meaning of texts, not to mention rather off-putting for anyone who doesnít like know-it-all elites.
    Orthodox Judaism, not to mention other religions: there is a small number of men who know the detailed truth; the masses are told what they need to know and no more

Quote Originally Posted by georged
    We just purchased lighting for a newly constructed home and had considered CFL for interior applications such as closets where appearance wasn't a concern. This website (and others) and our electrical contractor's recommendation were the primary reasons we went with conventional bulbs:

http://members.misty.com/don/cf.html

Of all the CFL negatives, our final decision to not use them was based on:

1. Initial cost versus payback of electrical savings through efficiency is probably far beyond our lifespan.
    2. Possible RFI interference in a wireless PC, communications and weather station reporting atmosphere. I don't want to be constantly rebooting routers.

With regard to outdoor floodlights, I had them wired with an override on the motion sensors. Our location attracts a constant parade of deer, raccoons and turkeys, so to use motion sensors it was either adopt a nocturnal lifestyle or fence the place in with ugly, 8' high deer-proof fencing.
    Instead of using motion detectors, which tent to have itchy trigger fingers, try HID light sources such as phosphor coated mercury or HPS luminaires fitted with photocontrols.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman
    Instead of using motion detectors, which tent to have itchy trigger fingers, try HID light sources such as phosphor coated mercury or HPS luminaires fitted with photocontrols.
    The only problem with HID security lighting (that I can think of right now) is that when shaken hard enough, they will lose the arc and be out until they cool down enough to restrike. That is, unless you had sense enough to buy dual arc tube or instant restrike lamps. When we were a lot younger, we'd simply hit the base of a light pole with a sledge hammer, making the light go out, giving us time to smooch in the dark.)

I like the CF lamps. As a night light in the den I have a 13w lamp in a simple soup-bowl reflector, mounted close to the wall and pointed at a framed mirror which is angled about 15deg back at the top. (It actually sits on a shelf and leans against the wall.) This arrangement lights up the wall, the ceiling and provides enough diffuse light to move around anywhere in the relatively large room without having to look directly at the light source.

As a security/visitor light, I have a single CF lamp mounted on a post about ten feet away from the door, illuminating the door and the wall on both sides of the door. Miniature photosensors mounted in the wall at 4 feet above grade are activated when the light is interrupted, setting off silent alarms and triggering the CCTV recorder to run continuously for 10 minutes (normally it takes one frame every 10sec)
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.