Thread: Patients rights

Patients rights

What rights should patients have?

http://www.youdebate.com/DEBATES/pat...llofrights.HTM

Now that the Public Option has been effectively killed, I would like to know...what part of OPTION didn't you understand?

Logic

Quote Originally Posted by ssreformer View Post
    Now that the Public Option has been effectively killed, I would like to know...what part of OPTION didn't you understand?
    The thing is, the public option has a few flaws. First of all, the bill requires you to buy health insurance. This is unconstitutional. Even so, to pay for the bill and the public option, healthcare premiums will skyrocket to 90%. This is more than anyone can pay. If that is the case then in order to stay within the law, since you must have health insurance they will have to go to the public option which will not be an option anymore because the healthcare insurance companies will all go out of buisiness. Then the public option is the only choice. It is run by the government so everyone will have to accept rationed healthcare. The government tried to run Medicare and Medicaid and failed at that. So they simply cannot run the whole healthcare system if they cannot run Medicare and Medicaid. So it will not be a public option. Now that is out of the bill, then when it is established, people will have to accept that the only option is government run healthcare, or in other words, socialized medicine.
    -Why is it, that whenever a politician wants to lower debt, they add to it?

-B.UD.W.E.I.S.E.R. Because You Deserve What Every Individual Should Enjoy Regularly.

JPSartre12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ssreformer View Post
    What part of the word "option" includes legal penalties for not participating? The word option inmplies a choice. The major choice seems to me to be whether or not you want any coverage. Taking that choice away by fining you hardly makes healthcare "optional".

maybe Uncle Sam should force us all to buy domestic cars and call that "optional" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    What rights should patients have?

Patients Bill of Rights Debate and Poll
    The exact same as a person, which it happens is good because all patients are people.

Patients have very limited rights but a doctor have many rights. Patients cannot do himself against rules of Medical health care. But a doctor can do.

Smile Thanks for an idea, buy imho main problem content

Thanks for an idea, buy imho main problem content (

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Patients should have these rights:
    1. To be involved in their care.
    2. To be informed of their condition in a clear, understandable manner.
    3. To refuse care.
    4. To be cared for in a caring, humane, and intimate environment.
    5. To refuse a doctor's care when they feel that doctor is incompetent.

Doctors should have these rights:
    1. To refuse to care for a patient if they feel that the treatment requested by the patient would violate their person morals, ethics, or the Hippocratic Oath.
    2. To choose which patients to accept.
    3. To charge fee's for their services (a patient can go to another doctor if the fee is too much)
    4. To be free of the fear of reprisal from defense attorneys on complex surgeries that have a high degree of risk.

I do not feel medicine is a right. The Bill of Rights does not include anything about medicine being a personal right. As humans, I feel we should go out of our way to help others. My father for example, a pathologist, does all the pathology for the local health clinic free of charge. He also donates a lot of money to a special fund that helps patients with no to little income pay for medical care. His partner, who believes in Universal Health care does not donate to this fund and she does not help with cases from the local health clinic. I think people who are in favor of Universal Health care do not want to actually pitch in and help. Private Charities are the way to go for providing health care to those who cannot afford it.

I would be fine if Universal Health Care was set up in this manner.

If you support Universal Health care, you can pay extra taxes for it. If you do this, you are eligible to receive Universal Health Care.

If you do not support Universal Health care, you do not have to pay taxes for it, however, you may not utilize the system.

Hospitals can decide if they wish to participate in the Universal Health Care system. If they do, they will receive the reimbursements for services rendered to those on the Universal system. However, the doctors at these hospitals have the choice to work for the Universal System or to remain in a privatized system.
    "You will say to me then, 'Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?' On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? -Romans 9:19-21 (NASB)

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    If you support Universal Health care, you can pay extra taxes for it. If you do this, you are eligible to receive Universal Health Care.

If you do not support Universal Health care, you do not have to pay taxes for it, however, you may not utilize the system.
    A voluntary finite system of cooperation? Hope for the world yet.
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber