Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drinking

drinking

Does anyone else think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18?

At 18, you can:
    - Smoke
    - Vote
    - Be drafted into the military
    - Sign a legally binding contract

But yet, you're not old enough to by a can of beer.
    --Jim

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

Ronald Regan: A man who, sadly, does not remember that he once was President. However, on the bright side, he doesn't remember that Bill Clinton was ever President either.

If you can't be a part of the solution, don't become another part of the problem.

actually, i think, like in many other countries, the drinking age should be 14. think about it. at 14, you can't drive. less dui's. why? well, because when one reaches 16, one has already tested and knowns his own drinking limit. genius in my eyes.
    "A closed mind is much like a closed book...
    both just a block of wood."
    - old chinese proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anyone under 21 who wants to drink can do so easily and with very little risk.
    Save me from this drunken jockocracy

good point, but it is the principle of the thing.
    - old chinese proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stupid drunken teenagers don't CARE what their limit is. Coupled with the fact that they're already the worst drivers, they don't need to be able to drink legally at 14.

that's hearsay.
    - old chinese proverb

ummm...not according to research. There's a reason why teenage drivers have the highest insurance rates.
    --Jim

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

Ronald Regan: A man who, sadly, does not remember that he once was President. However, on the bright side, he doesn't remember that Bill Clinton was ever President either.

If you can't be a part of the solution, don't become another part of the problem.

Hong Kong and England (good luck trying to work that one out!)
    Although the benefits of an 18 limit are more then you think. Living in england my bording school has a bar in the student common room (for the 18 year olds that is) and university/high school students in general have the freedom to drink more openly thus allowing for say alcohol at proms and the like. I'm not pro-drunk-teenagers I'm simply saying that this openned approach is so much more pleasant and who knows? maybe the opennes in drinking will contribute to the upbringing of the next generation being more responsible?
    I see the beauty in the shadows of the people, I strive to serve as their gurdian.

If a person is going to be considered an adult at age 18, then they should have all the rights of an adult. This includes drinking and gambling.

The reason they raised the drinking age to begin with was because the highest age range of those found guilty of OUI were 18-20. So if you have the highest number of people committing a crime, and if you were remove one factor from the equation, such as the ability to legal obtain the substance causing the crime, then would you not institute such a law? It would be foolish not to.

Striel, you can gamble at 18.

i think 21 is fine because at that age you are getting to be more mature in your actions, and your probably a experienced driver by then too.
    She'll come back as fire, to burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ash on the ground.
    --nirvana

your logic makes no sense. are you saying that if you are a better driver, then you can drink more than someone who is not a good driver. the point of lowering the drinking level below the driving age is to insure that the driver knows his or her drinking limit. if i were in charge, i would lower the drinking age to 16 and raise the driving age to 18.
    - old chinese proverb

gilligan, teenagers are not responsible with drinking, whether they know their limit or not.

Putting the driving age at 18 is not a good solution. Many 15,16,17 year olds work and need to drive.

Crim,

15-year-olds can't drive in most states.
    --Jim