Poll: Should marijuana be legalized?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 247

Thread: Marijuana Legalization

  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    126
    -First off they actually believe that " Drivers under the influence of marijuana retain insight into their performance and will compensate where they can (e.g., by increasing distance between vehicles or increasing effort)"

    Drivers who aren't under the influence don't do that now.

    -60-80% of drivers who were found positive for THC also showed the presence of alcohol

    Thats a huge gap, which is it, 60% or 80%. Unless the amount of subjects used was around 20 people that tells me nothing.


    And plus its a common sense issue, I have no idea how old you are but if you've ever been around teenagers while they're high, which happens on occasion in high school, you would know that their reaction time is slowed (which causes a huge problem on the road), and some have a tendency to freak out when you wave your hands in front of their face, image what they'll do on the road. We all know the effects of marijuana; educe ability to do things which require concentration, swift reactions, and coordination; so why is it that all of a sudden when these pot heads get into a vehicle they magically lose the effects of the drug? Thats right, they don't

    And your point is irrelevant, granted we may fear more from those who drink and drive, I don't know for sure, but that doesn't take away from the danger of those who drug and drive.
    What would Reagan do?

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    marijuana combined with a beer or two can produce a blood-alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It's more than seven times Pennsylvania's limit for drivers under 21.
    Huh? Only alcohol can raise your blood alcohol level. Drinking 1 beer will cause a relatively constant rise in blood alcohol level per person. Smoking a joint while drinking that beer will have no effect on blood alcohol level.

    And if you want to get technical, marijuana will actually assist the body in ridding itself of alcohol. Since marijuana causes a rise in heart rate and blood pressure, there will be a concurrent rise in metabolism. (This is why many stoners feel the need to eat Wendy's at 2 AM) This rise in circulatory and metabolic activity causes the blood volume to be circulated at a higher rate, thereby passing more blood through the liver where alcohol is metabolized.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    102
    It should be legalised as it's no more harmful than alcohol or tobacco.

    Not only that but many marijuana users end up going onto harder drugs through contact with their marijuana dealer. Lesgalising it would break that link and actually reduce the level of drug addicts overall.

    Furthermore you could tax it and put the money into more police to clamp down on hard drugs, which would be a good thing.
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Mark 10:25

  4. #49
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit
    Huh? Only alcohol can raise your blood alcohol level. Drinking 1 beer will cause a relatively constant rise in blood alcohol level per person. Smoking a joint while drinking that beer will have no effect on blood alcohol level.

    And if you want to get technical, marijuana will actually assist the body in ridding itself of alcohol. Since marijuana causes a rise in heart rate and blood pressure, there will be a concurrent rise in metabolism. (This is why many stoners feel the need to eat Wendy's at 2 AM) This rise in circulatory and metabolic activity causes the blood volume to be circulated at a higher rate, thereby passing more blood through the liver where alcohol is metabolized.
    It does raise your heart rate, but it also enhances the effects of other drugs taken and alcohol, so its not a good thing to be going around smoking up just to get sober quicker based on what you stated.

    But lets still not forget the common sense aspect... When you smoke up its possible to have hallucinations, drowsiness, paranoia, anxiety, and pointless laughing. How does that at all sound safe while driving?
    What would Reagan do?

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesejoff
    It should be legalised as it's no more harmful than alcohol or tobacco.

    Not only that but many marijuana users end up going onto harder drugs through contact with their marijuana dealer. Lesgalising it would break that link and actually reduce the level of drug addicts overall.

    Furthermore you could tax it and put the money into more police to clamp down on hard drugs, which would be a good thing.
    It should be legalised because it’s no more harmful then alcohol or tobacco eh... Well maybe not in the long term sense, at least there’s just insufficient studies to prove that it is, But the effects of the drug happens pretty quick and its not good to be high while driving.

    I don't get why you all want to add another problem into society... It doesn't make sense...
    What would Reagan do?

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesejoff
    It should be legalised as it's no more harmful than alcohol or tobacco.

    Not only that but many marijuana users end up going onto harder drugs through contact with their marijuana dealer. Lesgalising it would break that link and actually reduce the level of drug addicts overall.

    Furthermore you could tax it and put the money into more police to clamp down on hard drugs, which would be a good thing.
    Way too sensible. Religious leaders will never accept legalization of any substance their dogma has declared sinful. Another sin openly flaunted, denied market tax revenue while consuming existing tax revenue for legislative enforcement.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by georged
    Way too sensible. Religious leaders will never accept legalization of any substance their dogma has declared sinful. Another sin openly flaunted, denied market tax revenue while consuming existing tax revenue for legislative enforcement.
    There are a lot more people who oppose legalization of marijuana, or other drugs for that matter, than just the religious.
    Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think.
    -John Stuart Mill

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    It should be legalised because it’s no more harmful then alcohol or tobacco eh... Well maybe not in the long term sense, at least there’s just insufficient studies to prove that it is, But the effects of the drug happens pretty quick and its not good to be high while driving.
    True, the effects do kick in fast but why is that necessarily bad?

    It's also no worse than drink-driving and it would be just as serious an offense to drive while on marijuana. In fact, since the police are spending less time going after ordinary smokers they can spend more time going after sunstance abuse drivers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    I don't get why you all want to add another problem into society... It doesn't make sense...
    It's not adding a problem into society, the problem is already there. It's making the problem better for numerous reasons such as breaking the link between marijuana and hard drugs, increasing police funding through tax and also technically decreasing unemployment as people who have smoked will no longer be refused jobs.
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Mark 10:25

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesejoff
    It's also no worse than drink-driving and it would be just as serious an offense to drive while on marijuana. In fact, since the police are spending less time going after ordinary smokers they can spend more time going after sunstance abuse drivers.

    It's not adding a problem into society, the problem is already there. It's making the problem better for numerous reasons such as breaking the link between marijuana and hard drugs, increasing police funding through tax and also technically decreasing unemployment as people who have smoked will no longer be refused jobs.

    Your logic makes no sense... we have a drug problem so we'll just legalize the drug and BAME, no more problem... by legalizing it more and more people would be getting into it and smoking more of it. Causing more and more cases of drugging and driving. Also the market in the marijuana right now is huge for Organized Crime, and they won't go away just because the government is involved, the profit is to high. In fact they'll try competing with the government and will be able to win by providing a product with a higher potency and cheaper prices if you tax the XXXX out of it, as you proposed. We also already have a massive problem with people going out and drinking and driving, why do you want to add to it. As i stated when you legalize it your pretty much opening the flood gates and providing it to even more people, raising the chances of drugging and driving, therefore creating a bigger problem. Also it will not change the fact that Marijuana leads to other drugs. Druggies like the high, and after awhile they will want to try something that provides a bigger high. It doesn't matter wither or not it’s legalized or not.
    What would Reagan do?

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Shake
    There are a lot more people who oppose legalization of marijuana, or other drugs for that matter, than just the religious.
    That's the driving force behind most US legislation with a morality position.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    126
    Not sure why I'm posting here as many of the posters are completely ignorant of all this.

    I smoked pot in high school. Big deal. Was it easier to get than alcohol? Maybe a little, but I could get either whenever I wanted. I hope my children also enjoy their lives, smoke a little pot now and again, eat a little steak, have some beer, smoke a cigar, etc. This is how I was brought up.

    Am I a degenerate? I certainly hope not. I am a Nuclear Engineering major at probably the most prestigious school in the country, which must go unnamed. Of three of my absolute best friends in high school: The one who smoked the most pot now goes to Princeton; he is brilliant. The one who smoked pot and did a whole host of other drugs passed more AP (advanced placement) college exams than anyone in America, ever. As soon as he graduated high school, he was a senior in college. The other smoked a large amount, and now attends an ivy league school as well (Brown). I no longer smoke pot, but a lot of my friends do, and I probably will again when I am older (possibly retired).

    I have yet to understand where all this anti-marijuana sentiment comes from. Rather, I know where, I just can't make sense of it. It's generally middle-aged people (women in particular) who seem to associate pot with gangs and violence. The truth is the opposite. Pot reduces violent tendencies (if you ever smoke it you would know this without question). There is absolutely no evidence that driving while stoned increases one's risk of getting into an accident. NONE. In addition, whatever societal negatives you are trying to conjure up would be far outweighed by the enormous tax revenues the government would make off selling the drug.

    To say that marijuana is addictive is wrong to the point of hilarity. We know it isn't physically addictive. To say that it is psychologically addictive is to say that you enjoy doing it. So, it shouldn't be allowed because it is psychologically addictive is the same thing as saying: "you shouldn't be allowed to do it because you will enjoy it." If that doesn't make you chuckle, we've got problems.

    Also, I don't know if you realize this or not, but THC has in no way been proven to be harmful in any long-term sense. Sure, SMOKE is harmful. Not THC. You can use a vaporizer to extract only THC from the marijuana and it becomes completely harmless health-wise. You people with a stick up your butts probably do not know this.

    The number of drugs that are much worse for you that America’s and Canada’s governments are too inept to criminalize are many. Just go smoke some purified salvia and tell me it ought to be legal. Yet you can buy it at virtually any herbal market or florist. If you purify it, which is legal, and smoke it, which is legal, you will hallucinate and temporarily go insane. MANY other similar such drugs exist in our country. And here we are debating something harmless, while you ignorant marijuana haters just keep going. So sad. Public ignorance always is. And if there is one thing I’ve learned, sadly, it’s that the public is always ignorant.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    It does raise your heart rate, but it also enhances the effects of other drugs taken and alcohol, so its not a good thing to be going around smoking up just to get sober quicker based on what you stated.
    I never stated that this was a good policy to sober up. And yes, marijuana can cause sedation, and slowed reaction times, so yes, combining it with alcohol can cause a concominent potentiation. However, you stated previously that smoking marijuana while drinking a beer will inflate your blood alcohol level, I was just pointing out how you were wrong.

    But lets still not forget the common sense aspect... When you smoke up its possible to have hallucinations, drowsiness, paranoia, anxiety, and pointless laughing. How does that at all sound safe while driving?
    I never said it did sound safe while driving. I firmly believe that pot should be legal for adults to buy, and regulated in the same respect as cigarettes or alcohol. However, just as with alcohol, I advocate responsible use and sober driving. What exactly would be your objection to me sucking down a joint on my couch in the privacy of my own home?

    BTW: Alcohol is a causative agent in many of the motor vehicle accidents I go to, as well as many of the assaults, domestic violence scenes, and falls. I can't count on both hands the number of drunks I have dealt with over the last month. I can however say with certainty that I have not been to one call over the last month where marijuana was the problem. In fact, in over 13 years of EMS experience, I can honestly say that I have been to less than 10 calls where marijuana has been the problem. It happens, but not that often. Do you advocate prohibition of alcohol as well?
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    One more question Evan, have you ever smoked pot?
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    126
    Also, I saw some discussion about religion and pot. Well, I am a practicing Roman Catholic. I am not even close to perfect. But, if there is one thing I don't lose sleep over, it's having smoked pot. I'd do it again if my lifestyle supported it. The fact is that the only reason my religion tells me that smoking pot may be sinful is because it is breaking the law. And even this doesn't necessitate it as sin. Now, Catholicism is a pretty darn large religion, and nowhere in the Bible, nor in Church doctrine, is there anything that has yet to make me believe that smoking pot is inherently sinful. Thus, I have no reason to believe most other Christian doctrines have pot listed as one of their nono's. I'll warrant there are some, such as Mormonism, but not many. As I said in my other post, I was brought up to enjoy life as God created it, and marijuana is simply another herb that one may choose to enjoy. Moderation? Yes. Inherent sin? Ridiculous.

    I truly do not believe that "sin" is what is keeping pot illegal. It is mere politics and the ignorant fear of the masses. Pot is "of the devil," they secretly believe, yet nowhere can one find evidence for such white trash garbage.

    Evan, lemme give you a little advice. Find a friend who smokes, take a couple drags, and enjoy yourself. Then come tell me it’s a big deal.

    At the risk of going off on a rant, I'd like to add another thing. The only reason pot is associated with crime is because it is a criminal act. Do you understand this?? That is why "shady hoodlums" are the ones with the pot. Whose who are willing to risk breaking big-time laws are the ones supplying it. If it were legalized, all this nonsense about the "bad kids doing pot" would fall by the wayside and you all would wake up and realize the drug does nothing more than create a harmless, benevolent high. NOTHING. It does not make you stab your parents, or rob a jewelry store, or steal money from a fifth grader, or get into fights, or .... and the bs-list goes on. My guess is that the only reason this mis-association ever came about is because the inherent nature of making any substance illegal prerequisites the fact that a criminal must be the one who obtains it. Remember when alcohol was illegal in America? Next thing we knew it was those pesky ole’ mobsters killing people by the dozen to supply alcohol. Those were the “shady high-schoolers” of alcohol. Hah! Now look at what we have today – no more black-market killings to obtain it! And the funny thing is that the negative effects of alcohol could be seen, legal or not! You still had your drunks, your moderate drinkers, your party animals, and your dry-mouths. What we have here is a misunderstanding due to confusing association with causality – NOT the same things! But I've no doubt I'd have as much luck as telling these things to a brick wall...

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Your logic makes no sense... we have a drug problem so we'll just legalize the drug and BAME, no more problem... by legalizing it more and more people would be getting into it and smoking more of it.
    Yes more people would get into it. However they would be educated not to abuse the drug and take it in small doses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Causing more and more cases of drugging and driving.
    They could just as easily drink and drive, it's actually more harmful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Also the market in the marijuana right now is huge for Organized Crime, and they won't go away just because the government is involved, the profit is to high. In fact they'll try competing with the government and will be able to win by providing a product with a higher potency and cheaper prices if you tax the XXXX out of it, as you proposed.
    Firstly, they will not be able to sell the drugs that cheaply because they are buying them from illegal sources, as opposed to the government buying in bulk. Also the tax wouldn't be huge because of the large number of people that smoke it.

    Secondly the police will not need to arrest 'druggies' on the streets so they can go after more dealers.

    Thirdly using that logic no one would buy cigarettes as they can get ilelgally smuggled imports cheaper than they do at the shops.

    Fourthly, did the prohibition of alcohol in America mean organised crime or more organised crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    We also already have a massive problem with people going out and drinking and driving, why do you want to add to it. As i stated when you legalize it your pretty much opening the flood gates and providing it to even more people, raising the chances of drugging and driving, therefore creating a bigger problem.
    Drinking under the influence of marijuana is less harmful than drinking under the influence of alcohol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Also it will not change the fact that Marijuana leads to other drugs. Druggies like the high, and after awhile they will want to try something that provides a bigger high. It doesn't matter wither or not it’s legalized or not.
    That's exactly what happens if drugs *aren't* legalised. Dealers get the addicts started on marijuana and then get them addicted to harder drugs. By making sure that smokers do not go to the dealers to get their drugs, you break the link between marijuana and hard drugs.

    Also there will be less dealers because the police will be going after the serious criminals rather than a junkie with a spliff in his pocket.
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Mark 10:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •