Poll: Should marijuana be legalized?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 247

Thread: Marijuana Legalization

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,532

    Clerisian

    For information about cocaine addiction:
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/DrugPages/Cocaine.html

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    This is my view: If you want to screw up your life, you can. Will it hurt you? Yes. Do you already know that if you're taking it? Yes. Asprin can kill too, why not make that illegal? I think that if someone is hurt by marijuana or another recreational drug of the sort that they shouldn't be eligeble for money to help them (unless it was for medical purposes, that's a whole other argument). The best scenario would be you put in your own money and spend it to help you, that way if you want to screw yourself, you can, but society won't bail you out. That's how it should be.
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?" - Chris Rock

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    What I consider false is your claim that something illegal is more readily available than something legal, not your desire to taste the forbidden fruit.
    Well, you can consider it false all you want. It's quite true.

    For information about cocaine addiction:
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/DrugPages/Cocaine.html
    Interesting. However, of the two pamphlets I read, neither made any effort to distinguish between physical and psychological addiction. Consequently, I'm not sure what sort of conclusion I can draw from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mae
    Which high school did you go to ?
    Andover. What kind of question is that?

    It looks like you had a lot of free time in your hands when you were at high school, which is not the experience for most people in high school.
    You caught me. I never went to high school. I spent the entire time in a haze of sex, drugs, and rock & roll.

    Maybe there was another reason for you smoking dupe than the fact that it was illegal - have you thought of that ?
    Do you have a point here? If so, would you care to clarify it?

    Quote Originally Posted by zachvac
    This is my view: If you want to screw up your life, you can. Will it hurt you? Yes. Do you already know that if you're taking it? Yes. Asprin can kill too, why not make that illegal? I think that if someone is hurt by marijuana or another recreational drug of the sort that they shouldn't be eligeble for money to help them (unless it was for medical purposes, that's a whole other argument). The best scenario would be you put in your own money and spend it to help you, that way if you want to screw yourself, you can, but society won't bail you out. That's how it should be.
    I guess Reason is right. Most people do have libertarian impulses.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    What a dupe comment!

    Not as dopey as your comments

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by mae
    Not as dopey as your comments

    CATFIGHT!!
    Lets get it on!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,532

    Claresian

    Claresian quote:
    “Well, you can consider it false all you want. It's quite true.”
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    Oh I see! it is true because you said it is true. Wow! At least some people said it is true because God said it is true. You just say it is true, no proof ,no evidence, no links...
    Well, I say you are wrong and not only wrong but absurdly wrong. As I said previously, a corollary of your falsehood: that making something illegal makes it more readily available is that we should prohibit everything to improve the availability of goods and services. Hmm… let’s ban abortion to make it readily available.
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 07-05-2005 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

  7. #37
    deathlord52 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jazyjason
    I mean it is another problem just waiting to escalate in the nation. Think about it- teens having adults by drugs for them, they fail in school become criminals etc. We need to control this. The AMA has done lots of tests for long term effects, phycological ones. So were gonna throw away all we have done with anti drug programs, drug rehap , just to enforce it?
    Actually, controlled legalization is far better than the proven failure of prohibition. Since paid programs exist for the addicted, it would make more sense to get the funds for these programs from the drugs that cause it.

    You get other benefits to this. Gang presence is lessened (possibly removed completely), as their income source is now removed. Smuggling is lessened - who would risk it if the rewards are limited?

    Legalizing drugs will not create the flood of users the prohibitions claim. And prohibitionists seem to be reinforcing the poor parent syndrome, where the parents are not involved enough in their children's lives, causing many of these problems. This is easily seen in the drug use spike of yuppy teens. They have money, they are bored, they are lonely. Because mom and dad are too busy making money to properly parent.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Seems to be a lot of bad information about various drugs.

    Alcohol:
    1. Moderate potential for abuse.
    2. Psychologically addictive. Sometimes physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: Moderate (usually self limiting, however when consumed in massive doses over a short period of time, can cause death due to liver failure, kidney failure, apnea (lack of breathing), or disturbance in electrolyte balance causing sudden cardiac arrest.)


    Heroin:
    1. High potential for abuse.
    2. Both highly psychologically and physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: High (simply put to much in the syringe, or unexpectedly get a more potent dose, you stop breathing, dead)

    Cocaine (including crack):
    1. High potential for abuse.
    2. Psychologically and physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: High (snort or smoke too much, massive heart attack, dead)

    Marijuana:
    1. Moderate potential for abuse.
    2. Psychologically addictive, not physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: Extremely Low (you would have to smoke an enormous amount of marijuana to kill you, not likely)

    Tobacco:
    1. High potential for abuse.
    2. Both psychologically and physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: Low (usually as the result of underlying cardiac disease aggravated by cardiac affects of nicotine)

    Tylenol:
    1. Low potential for abuse.
    2. Neither psychologically or physically addictive
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: High (taking simply 5-10 times normal dose can cause liver failure and clotting problems)

    Do all drugs have side effects? Yes. Can most drugs be damaging when taken in excessive dosages? Yes. Can most drugs have serious effects on health after long term or excessive usage? Yes.

    Know your drug.
    Know your dosage.
    Know the effects.
    Know the risks.
    Know the long term consequences.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit
    Seems to be a lot of bad information about various drugs.

    Alcohol:
    1. Moderate potential for abuse.
    2. Psychologically addictive. Sometimes physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: Moderate (usually self limiting, however when consumed in massive doses over a short period of time, can cause death due to liver failure, kidney failure, apnea (lack of breathing), or disturbance in electrolyte balance causing sudden cardiac arrest.)


    Heroin:
    1. High potential for abuse.
    2. Both highly psychologically and physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: High (simply put to much in the syringe, or unexpectedly get a more potent dose, you stop breathing, dead)

    Cocaine (including crack):
    1. High potential for abuse.
    2. Psychologically and physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: High (snort or smoke too much, massive heart attack, dead)

    Marijuana:
    1. Moderate potential for abuse.
    2. Psychologically addictive, not physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: Extremely Low (you would have to smoke an enormous amount of marijuana to kill you, not likely)

    Tobacco:
    1. High potential for abuse.
    2. Both psychologically and physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: Low (usually as the result of underlying cardiac disease aggravated by cardiac affects of nicotine)

    Tylenol:
    1. Low potential for abuse.
    2. Neither psychologically or physically addictive
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: High (taking simply 5-10 times normal dose can cause liver failure and clotting problems)

    Do all drugs have side effects? Yes. Can most drugs be damaging when taken in excessive dosages? Yes. Can most drugs have serious effects on health after long term or excessive usage? Yes.

    Know your drug.
    Know your dosage.
    Know the effects.
    Know the risks.
    Know the long term consequences.
    I'd like to add chocolate cake to the list.


    Chocolate cake:
    1. Moderate potential for abuse.
    2. Psychologically addictive, not physically addictive.
    3. Potential for fatal overdose: Extremely Low (you would have to eat an enormous amount of chocolate cake to kill you, not likely)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,073
    Everything can be psychologically addictive. Or, better, people can get addicted to anything. This forum could become someone's addiction.

    The problem with drugs is not what the drug does to the drug user. It's what the drug drives the user to do to others that the problem. From employment loss to crime and I'm not talking about smuggling. I'm talking about minors prostituting themselves for their drug money. About shaking teenagers robbing people in parks. About teenagers stealing their grandfather's WWII medals and pawning them.

    P.S. Teenagers are generally more easily ensnared, that's why I'm focusing on them. However, adults are no better at all.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Iuris
    Everything can be psychologically addictive. Or, better, people can get addicted to anything. This forum could become someone's addiction.

    The problem with drugs is not what the drug does to the drug user. It's what the drug drives the user to do to others that the problem. From employment loss to crime and I'm not talking about smuggling. I'm talking about minors prostituting themselves for their drug money. About shaking teenagers robbing people in parks. About teenagers stealing their grandfather's WWII medals and pawning them.

    P.S. Teenagers are generally more easily ensnared, that's why I'm focusing on them. However, adults are no better at all.
    I have seen people shot, stabbed, assaulted, beaten, killed, robbed, held at gunpoint, etc etc etc. In every instance, it was over crack, coke, heroin, Meth and such. Usually it is the physical withdrawl that makes people so desperate for a fix that they will be willing to commit crimes, give away important possessions, and even hurt others. I'm not saying that it never happens with marijuana, but on the whole I would say that cases of such are few and far between at best.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    126
    Personally I think that Marijuana should not be legalized or decriminalized.

    How does it make sense to do either? Why add another problem into the mix?

    There’s a huge problem with Marijuana use, especially here in Canada, and my making it legal doesn't solve the problem, or help the war on drugs.

    People will get behind the wheel while being as high as a kit and they will kill because your reaction time is greatly hindered. The organized crime that comes along with it is too big of a rise as well, especially if you decriminalize. The business of producing and distributing Marijuana is a good business and if you make it easier for people to get away with possessing it and using it then you will open the doors for more organized crime, which equals more production, and larger organized crime organizations; which will bring about other organized crime activity.

    Marijuana is very addictive, in the psychological sense. And is harmful to the human body. When you smoke up, the smoke goes into the lungs and then is transfused into the blood stream. When this happens the smoke takes up some of the place of oxygen. Then the blood is sent to the brain. How can it possibly be any good to deprive your brain of oxygen?

    Also im not exactly sure how old some of you are but the drug isn't the same as it once was. Back in the 70's the active ingredient, THC, made up about 2% of drug. Now it makes up 15%, and it’s only getting higher (pun intended)

    The drug can also easily be lased with other extremely harmful substances.

    The point here people is that by legalizing or even decriminalizing Marijuana doesn't help anyone, and only creates more problems. If anything there needs to be stricter punishments for those that use it.
    What would Reagan do?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    People will get behind the wheel while being as high as a kit and they will kill because your reaction time is greatly hindered.
    Cite a case please.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin
    Cite a case please.
    In 2004, at least 9 percent of roughly 17,100 drivers tested for drugs after being involved in a fatal crash came up positive for marijuana, according to statistics provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration.

    In Bucks County, a 19-year-old died last year after crashing into a tree near Oxford Valley Mall. He was under the influence of marijuana, police said.

    In March, 16-year-old Jessica Easter of Bala Cynwyd was killed as she tried to get out of an SUV driven by Stephen L. Meloni, 19, a Harriton High School graduate who had twice the legal amount of alcohol in his system. Meloni also tested positive for marijuana. In addition, police found nearly 80 grams of the drug in his vehicle.

    Furthermore, drivers who are found to be intoxicated are rarely given a second test for the presence of drugs. As a result, those who are multiply impaired can go undetected.

    marijuana combined with a beer or two can produce a blood-alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It's more than seven times Pennsylvania's limit for drivers under 21.

    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...a/14580457.htm

    Wow that was the easiest thing i've ever cited, took all of 2 mins. Im very surprised that you even doubted it.
    What would Reagan do?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    In 2004, at least 9 percent of roughly 17,100 drivers tested for drugs after being involved in a fatal crash came up positive for marijuana, according to statistics provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration.
    what percentage tested positive for alcohol? The pot test only shows that you've used in the last 30 days, not that you are presently under the influence.

    In Bucks County, a 19-year-old died last year after crashing into a tree near Oxford Valley Mall. He was under the influence of marijuana, police said.
    here's a maybe.

    In March, 16-year-old Jessica Easter of Bala Cynwyd was killed as she tried to get out of an SUV driven by Stephen L. Meloni, 19, a Harriton High School graduate who had twice the legal amount of alcohol in his system. Meloni also tested positive for marijuana. In addition, police found nearly 80 grams of the drug in his vehicle.
    Notice, plenty of alcohol.

    marijuana combined with a beer or two can produce a blood-alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It's more than seven times Pennsylvania's limit for drivers under 21.
    THC impacting blood alcohol levels. Not heard that one. Will investigate.


    Wow that was the easiest thing i've ever cited, took all of 2 mins. Im very surprised that you even doubted it.
    My point is that it's not at all clear we have much to fear from pothead drivers. Drunks, big time.
    You might find this interesting reading:
    http://mojo.calyx.net/~olsen/HEMP/IHA/iha01206.html
    Last edited by sinjin; 05-16-2006 at 06:21 PM.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •