Poll: Should marijuana be legalized?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana Legalization

Quote Originally Posted by jazyjason
    Think about it- teens having adults by drugs for them, they fail in school become criminals etc.
    jazyjason: when I was in high school, we smoked weed rather than drinking alcohol because you could buy weed from a drug dealer, who would only ask if you had money. If you wanted booze, you had to do all kinds of onerous things like hiring some sketchy character to buy it from you (and making sure he didn't steal your money), or steal it from your parents (and make sure they don't notice), etc. Weed was just that much less of a hassle, precisely because it's illegal.

We need to control this. The AMA has done lots of tests for long term effects, phycological ones. So were gonna throw away all we have done with anti drug programs, drug rehap , just to enforce it?
    I don't understand what you're talking about here.

So of course you want to legalize MJ. You did drugs so then it because acceptable because YOU had flaws? Come on. That gives no true positive reason to legalize MJ. Clarify ok: We have proof MJ is bad. It's addictive, it kills. It kills brain cells. We have spent billions in drug prevention and rehab why after all that effort would we tear down those achievements?

Native Texan currently residing in Wisconsin
    It's gonna be a long summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyjason
    So of course you want to legalize MJ. You did drugs so then it because acceptable because YOU had flaws?
    What do you mean, I had flaws? You suggested that legalizing MJ would lead to more widespread use. I pointed out that when I was in school, we smoked MJ because it was easier to get than alcohol. If MJ had been legal, it would have been harder for us.

Come on. That gives no true positive reason to legalize MJ.
    The above is one.

Clarify ok: We have proof MJ is bad. It's addictive, it kills. It kills brain cells. We have spent billions in drug prevention and rehab why after all that effort would we tear down those achievements?
    We don't seem to have difficulty spending money on alcoholism prevention and alcohol rehab. How would we have torn down anything if we legalized MJ?

It's addictive, it kills.
    Crack is addictive and kills
    Heroin is addictive and kills
    Meth is addictive and kills
    Coccaine is addicitve and kills
    Speed is addictive and kills
    Tobacco is addicitve and kills
    Alcohol is addicitve and kills

Marijuana is not physically addictive, (I ont buy this claim that it is psychologically addictive either), and definately does not kill.
    Film is truth 24 times a second

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Quote Originally Posted by sanguinekane
    Heroin is addictive and kills
    Tobacco is addicitve and kills
    Alcohol is addicitve and kills

Marijuana is not physically addictive, (I ont buy this claim that it is psychologically addictive either), and definately does not kill.
    Most of the "research" on marijuana is junk science anyway.

The whole "psychologically addicting" nonsense was a reaction to their inability to show physical dependence. Remember when they said boys would grow breasts and the so-called amotivational syndrome?
    Last edited by sinjin; 07-01-2005 at 10:37 AM.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Quote Originally Posted by sanguinekane
    I don't know if this is true. I understand cocaine (and derivatives) to be psychologically addictive only.

I'm not sure about these either.

Well, it's clearly psychologically addictive, but so is anything that feels good.

Clerisian

Originally posted by Clerisian, quote:
    “When I was in high school, we smoked weed rather than drinking alcohol because you could buy weed from a drug dealer, who would only ask if you had money. If you wanted booze, you had to do all kinds of onerous things like hiring some sketchy character to buy it from you (and making sure he didn't steal your money), or steal it from your parents (and make sure they don't notice), etc. Weed was just that much less of a hassle, precisely because it's illegal.”

Great! So if you had been a teenager in Amsterdam you would have had great difficulty getting marijuana, because marijuana is legal over there. So to satisfy your ‘illegal impulses’ you would have tried something illegal, such as heroin, and hence according to you easily available, no questions asked etc, and ended up a junkie, but maybe not, because you are not sure whether heroin is addictive or not. Well, think of it, give it a try and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    Great! So if you had been a teenager in Amsterdam you would have had great difficulty getting marijuana, because marijuana is legal over there. So to satisfy your ‘illegal impulses’ you would have tried something illegal, such as heroin, and hence according to you easily available, no questions asked etc, and ended up a junkie,
    Only if heroin was illegal.

but maybe not, because you are not sure whether heroin is addictive or not. Well, think of it, give it a try and see what happens
    I never said that. I understand heroin and opiates to be addictive.

Clerisian said and quote:
    “I don't know if this is true. I understand cocaine (and derivatives) to be psychologically addictive only”

psychologically only? crack is not addictive? C'mon!

Clerisian

Clerisian said and quote:

“Only if heroin was illegal”

To think that what is illegal is more easily available than something legal is absurd. But if you are right then: if you are pro-choice you should be siding with the pro-lifers to make abortion illegal in order to make more readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    psychologically only? crack is not addictive? C'mon!
    That's my claim.

To think that what is illegal is more easily available than something legal is absurd.
    Not for children, when it comes to things which are prohibited to children but legal for adults. I meant that the incentive described for me to do heroin would have been removed if heroin was legal, but subject to the same restrictions as alcohol. The claim cannot be absurd, because it is the case. I have experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clerisian
    Not for children, when it comes to things which are prohibited to children but legal for adults. I meant that the incentive described for me to do heroin would have been removed if heroin was legal, but subject to the same restrictions as alcohol. The claim cannot be absurd, because it is the case. I have experienced it.
    What I consider false is your claim that something illegal is more readily available than something legal, not your desire to taste the forbidden fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Clerisian
    jazyjason: when I was in high school, we smoked weed rather than drinking alcohol because you could buy weed from a drug dealer, who would only ask if you had money. If you wanted booze, you had to do all kinds of onerous things like hiring some sketchy character to buy it from you (and making sure he didn't steal your money), or steal it from your parents (and make sure they don't notice), etc. Weed was just that much less of a hassle, precisely because it's illegal.

I don't understand what you're talking about here.

Which high school did you go to ?

It looks like you had a lot of free time in your hands when you were at high school, which is not the experience for most people in high school.

Maybe there was another reason for you smoking dupe than the fact that it was illegal - have you thought of that ?

mae

What a dupe comment!