Poll: Should marijuana be legalized?

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 241 to 247 of 247

Thread: Marijuana Legalization

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Mental illness symptoms...do tell. What symptoms. Do you mean that it can exacerbate or reveal pre-existing mental illness, or are you saying that it causes acute mental illness. There is a big difference. .
    The fact is that there is a disproportionate amount metal illness in young pot smokers.
    Symptoms can range from depression to psychosis.
    Whether pot exacerbates illness, reveals pre existing mental illness or creates mental illness does not matter.


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    First off, not a "toker". Second, are you by chance talking about Hashish, which is gathered and compressed trichomes from the cannabis plant? .
    No I am not talking about gathered and compressed trichomes from the cannabis plant.
    If anyone tries to sell you a lump of hashish by your definition and it costs less than bud it. Dont believe them.It will be the stuff that I know.
    I am talking about a solid lump of ' cannabis' resin which I believe is ( but do not actually know or care) reconstituted cannabis resin with cannabis oil and other junk.



    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Frankly, I don't care what people do with it...grow it, sell it to other adults, give it to other adults, trade it with other adults...whatever..
    You may not care that a dangerous drug is being traded without any control but I do
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    And: "there is just as much risk of criminal activity becoming involved"? Get real. Violent criminals currently control the marijuana trade. We have nowhere to go but up. Think about it, if I could buy organic marijuana from a trusted supplier...would I buy junk from a stranger on the street when the profits are probably going to support a ruthless mexican cartel? Be realistic. .
    Why do you think making cannabis a cottage industry would make the violent criminals give up drug trading and take a proper job?
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Just like the horrible liquor black market, or the horrible tobacco black market, or the dangerous tomato black market. .
    As far as I know individuals cannot distill and sell liquor in the US and home made beer tastes like urine.
    I am not sure about home made tobacco but I agree about the tomatoes.


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Who said anything about a "total free for all on prescription drugs"? What threat do you believe that marijuana poses? .

    As much threat as the total freedom to manufacture and trade drugs like zoloft, abilify, prozac, cymbalta, paxil, Adderall, Dexedrine and Ritalin .The drugs that Unkerpaulie mentioned.I would add Viagra and anabolic steroids.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Why do I need to government to monitor or inspect the growing of a plant? Do you understand what the word "legal" means? Tomatos are legal to grow and possess and consume. The government does not currently inspect my vegetable garden. If marijuana were legal...no inspections would be required.
    Then you cannot serious say that the quality of the marijuana that was sold would be any better than the stuff that is on the streets now.
    Marijuana is not tomatoes.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    The fact is that there is a disproportionate amount metal illness in young pot smokers.
    Symptoms can range from depression to psychosis.
    Whether pot exacerbates illness, reveals pre existing mental illness or creates mental illness does not matter.
    I do agree that marijuana can lead to earlier development of mental illness in people that use it during early adolescence, but I believe that most often these are people with underlying mental illness in the first place. Many scientist and psychologists have raised the question if these teens are using marijuana in an attempt to "self medicate".

    At any rate, the current policy of prohibition does not seem to keep marijuana out of the hands of our youth. In fact, it most likely makes it far more available. It sure is a good thing that I don't advocate the use of marijuana by children...isn't it?

    No I am not talking about gathered and compressed trichomes from the cannabis plant.
    If anyone tries to sell you a lump of hashish by your definition and it costs less than bud it. Dont believe them.It will be the stuff that I know.
    I am talking about a solid lump of ' cannabis' resin which I believe is ( but do not actually know or care) reconstituted cannabis resin with cannabis oil and other junk.
    First off, I would never buy anything from "anyone". If I were going to buy something, I would get it from someone I know and trust. Second, if you are talking about just plain resin...a black, almost tar-like chunk of material...why would anyone smoke that in the first place? What is commonly known as "resin" by most marijuana smokers is the residue that is left over after combustion of marijuana. It is a sticky tar-like substance that they scrape from the inside of their pipes and bowls. It has a relatively high THC content.

    I follow a general rule in life: If I can't identify it, I leave it alone.

    Why do you think making cannabis a cottage industry would make the violent criminals give up drug trading and take a proper job?
    It's not about them giving up drug trading or getting a proper job. I could care less what they do.

    The reason drugs are in the hands of gangs and cartels is that they are illegal. Perhaps it is a difference between the US and GB that you just don't see. Over here, a majority of marijuana is smuggled up from Mexico and South America by cartels, and then sold by gangs. Needless to say, their practices are less than admirable.

    There are growers in California and Colorado (just to name a few) that sell their products to cooperatives and dispensaries for the medical marijuana industry. They are above ground, tax-paying citizens who don't carry guns, don't shoot people in drive-by's, don't sell their drugs to kids, and don't fund any such violence through the sale of their products. If dispensaries were legally allowed to sell to adults...where do you think that the vast majority of Americans would buy their marijuana from?

    It's not about what the criminals do, it's about what we do to the criminals. Brigning marijuana above ground would put them out of business. Believe me...street gangs and drug cartels do not want to see marijuana legalized.

    As far as I know individuals cannot distill and sell liquor in the US and home made beer tastes like urine.
    No we buy our liquors from stores...in my state, I get it from state government run stores. The point was that you stated that it would be cheaper to make them at home rather than buy them in stores, and I agree, it would. Despite this fact, there is little competition for home distilled alcohol in the US. Most of us prefer the convenience, selection, and quality that comes from large scale above ground distillaries. However, the government is not knocking in doors when people home-distill a little alcohol.

    And I don't know about you, but some of the best beer I have ever had has been home-brewed beer. I just finished brewing a lovely stout...dark, complex, chocolatey, with just a hint of warm holiday spice notes. I'm going to try the same recipe again, but use more honey this time in the wort.

    As much threat as the total freedom to manufacture and trade drugs like zoloft, abilify, prozac, cymbalta, paxil, Adderall, Dexedrine and Ritalin .The drugs that Unkerpaulie mentioned.I would add Viagra and anabolic steroids.
    The differences: These are drugs made in a lab. Marijuana is a plant I can grow in my back yard. Nobody ever overdosed on marijuana. Plenty of people have overdosed on the drugs you mentioned.

    You're comparing a bottle rocket to a bunch of land mines.


    Then you cannot serious say that the quality of the marijuana that was sold would be any better than the stuff that is on the streets now.
    Simple logic tells me I can. Something tells me that the quality of marijuana grown organically in a greenhouse by a reputable gorwer is going to be better quality than that which is sprayed with chemical pesticides and fertilizers and who know's what else, and is smuggled into the country in gas tanks or the asscrack of some Mexican drug runner. Cartels don't care about spider mites in their finished product, a reputable grower does.

    Marijuana is not tomatoes.
    True. One is a plant that I can grow in my back yard that I can cook with, consume alone or with other food products, or place in mason jars and save for later. The other tastes good on salad.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    I do agree that marijuana can lead to earlier development of mental illness in people that use it during early adolescence, but I believe that most often these are people with underlying mental illness in the first place. Many scientist and psychologists have raised the question if these teens are using marijuana in an attempt to "self medicate".

    At any rate, the current policy of prohibition does not seem to keep marijuana out of the hands of our youth. In fact, it most likely makes it far more available. It sure is a good thing that I don't advocate the use of marijuana by children...isn't it? .
    So you concede that marijuana can lead to mental illness in children..whether it it underlying or not is immaterial just as developing cancer from cigarettes does not mean one jot to the victim if they have a ' underlying' tendency to develop cancer.
    Many scientists and psychologists have raised many questions about a lot of things.
    I agree the curent policy does not seem to keep marijuana out of childrens hands.I believe the same goes for other even more dangerous drugs..maybe we should make ketamin,crack and ecstasy legal..maybe even angel dust..is there are market for angel dust?
    You dont advocate it but want to make it as easy or easier for children to obtain it in the future..I dont see much difference
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    First off, I would never buy anything from "anyone". If I were going to buy something, I would get it from someone I know and trust. Second, if you are talking about just plain resin...a black, almost tar-like chunk of material...why would anyone smoke that in the first place? What is commonly known as "resin" by most marijuana smokers is the residue that is left over after combustion of marijuana. It is a sticky tar-like substance that they scrape from the inside of their pipes and bowls. It has a relatively high THC content. .
    Good for you.
    You can call the substance what I described whatever you like.
    I call it solid....Ill leave a space...............

    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    I follow a general rule in life: If I can't identify it, I leave it alone. .
    As above


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    It's not about them giving up drug trading or getting a proper job. I could care less what they do..
    As long as it doesnt affect you...

    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    The reason drugs are in the hands of gangs and cartels is that they are illegal. Perhaps it is a difference between the US and GB that you just don't see. Over here, a majority of marijuana is smuggled up from Mexico and South America by cartels, and then sold by gangs. Needless to say, their practices are less than admirable. .
    Any free growing and selling marijuana will lead to less than admirable practices . Thats just the way it is.Potheads selling to potheads =less than admirable practices


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    There are growers in California and Colorado (just to name a few) that sell their products to cooperatives and dispensaries for the medical marijuana industry. They are above ground, tax-paying citizens who don't carry guns, don't shoot people in drive-by's, don't sell their drugs to kids, and don't fund any such violence through the sale of their products. If dispensaries were legally allowed to sell to adults...where do you think that the vast majority of Americans would buy their marijuana from? .
    From the guy down the road who grows his own pot in a garage or from a bloke on a street corner..if the price was right.
    Only selling pot from legal dispensaries would be the lesser of two evils though.

    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    It's not about what the criminals do, it's about what we do to the criminals. Brigning marijuana above ground would put them out of business. Believe me...street gangs and drug cartels do not want to see marijuana legalized..
    Neither do I.Where the gangs and I differ is on the penalty of selling illegal drugs


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    No we buy our liquors from stores...in my state, I get it from state government run stores. The point was that you stated that it would be cheaper to make them at home rather than buy them in stores, and I agree, it would. Despite this fact, there is little competition for home distilled alcohol in the US. Most of us prefer the convenience, selection, and quality that comes from large scale above ground distillaries. However, the government is not knocking in doors when people home-distill a little alcohol. .
    Probably because the amount of people doing it is negligable..but I am only assuming this

    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    And I don't know about you, but some of the best beer I have ever had has been home-brewed beer. I just finished brewing a lovely stout...dark, complex, chocolatey, with just a hint of warm holiday spice notes. I'm going to try the same recipe again, but use more honey this time in the wort. .
    Some of it is palatable but most of it tastes like XXXX.


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    The differences: These are drugs made in a lab. Marijuana is a plant I can grow in my back yard. Nobody ever overdosed on marijuana. Plenty of people have overdosed on the drugs you mentioned..
    Define overdosed.Apparently nobody has overdosed on LSD insofar that they died through LSD poisoning.



    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    You're comparing a bottle rocket to a bunch of land mines..
    Im comparing dangerous drugs with dangerous drugs.


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Simple logic tells me I can. Something tells me that the quality of marijuana grown organically in a greenhouse by a reputable gorwer is going to be better quality than that which is sprayed with chemical pesticides and fertilizers and who know's what else, and is smuggled into the country in gas tanks or the asscrack of some Mexican drug runner. Cartels don't care about spider mites in their finished product, a reputable grower does. .
    How do you guarantee that the product is as good as you say without a quality control inspection?



    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    True. One is a plant that I can grow in my back yard that I can cook with, consume alone or with other food products, or place in mason jars and save for later. The other tastes good on salad.
    Lol

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    So you concede that marijuana can lead to mental illness in children..whether it it underlying or not is immaterial just as developing cancer from cigarettes does not mean one jot to the victim if they have a ' underlying' tendency to develop cancer.
    No, I do not concede that. I agreed that I believe marijuana can expose underlying mental illness, or hasten the symptoms of mental illness, but I do not believe it causes mental illness, nor do I believe that if these mentally ill people had never used marijuana that they would never have become mentally ill. Correlation vs. causation. You have no hard evidence to support your theory, I have no hard evidence to support mine. What I can say is that I do not advocate the use of marijuana by minors, and I believe that prohibition places children at greater risk to be exposed to marijuana.

    I agree the curent policy does not seem to keep marijuana out of childrens hands.I believe the same goes for other even more dangerous drugs..maybe we should make ketamin,crack and ecstasy legal..maybe even angel dust..is there are market for angel dust?
    You dont advocate it but want to make it as easy or easier for children to obtain it in the future..I dont see much difference
    No, I do not want to make it easier for children to get marijuana in the future, and I believe I have made that clear. I believe that the current system of prohibition makes marijuana more available to children, due to unscrupulous dealers who only want to make a profit.

    And furthermore, I believe that seperating marijuana from hard drugs such as you listed will decrease exposure to these hard drugs. I work in an envronment where I see drugs all the time. The same guy on the corner that deals pot can also get you crack, meth, coke, or just about anything else you want. It's a no brainer that if people are buying their marijuana at a dispensary, they wouldn't need to be exposed to dealers like this anyway.

    As long as it doesnt affect you...
    Gangs and cartels affect all of us. I just want them to go away. As I have explained before, it is the war on drugs and the policy of prohibition that keeps them in business.

    Any free growing and selling marijuana will lead to less than admirable practices . Thats just the way it is.Potheads selling to potheads =less than admirable practices
    I was talking about the violence that cartels and street gangs deliver day after day. Perhaps you don't see such in you little kingdom over there, but I see gang violence almost daily at work. I've never known a "pothead" to shoot another "pothead" who was buying marijuana from him.

    From the guy down the road who grows his own pot in a garage or from a bloke on a street corner..if the price was right.
    If legalized, marijuana sold at disrensaries could be cheaper than what is currently available on the black market. Any time you make something illegal and push it underground, you increase it's value to those who want it. If I were going to buy marijuana, I would still rather pay a few bucks more to buy it in a safe environment like a dispensary from someone I trust than to go out and take my chances with the armed gang banger on the street.

    Only selling pot from legal dispensaries would be the lesser of two evils though.
    If you want to insist that it is an "evil".

    Neither do I.Where the gangs and I differ is on the penalty of selling illegal drugs
    If marijuana were taken out of their hands, most would no longer be around. Hmmm...lock people up for causing problems, or make them vanish and eliminate the problems. Hmmmm....

    Probably because the amount of people doing it is negligable..but I am only assuming this
    Probably not. It's because the majority of people who do home distill don't sell their product. They use it themselves, or share it with friends on a social basis.

    Some of it is palatable but most of it tastes like XXXX.
    To each his own.

    Define overdosed.Apparently nobody has overdosed on LSD insofar that they died through LSD poisoning.
    Overdose simply means "excessive dose". And yes, actually it is thought that one person (perhaps 2) has died from an LSD overdose, but it requires extraordinarily high doses, and is not easy to do. I am thinking in terms of the work that I do, where overdose means to seriously places one's life at risk via ingestion of a drug or chemical.

    How do you guarantee that the product is as good as you say without a quality control inspection?
    Many dispensaries do their own quality control. Simple testing is available through labs and much testing can be done right in the dispensary with a few basic tools. But again, simple logic tells us that if marijuana can be cultivated legally, the practices used to grow it will improve. I know a few people who grow their own, and they go t great lengths to ensure that they grow healthy plants organically with no disease or infestation.

    Government inspection would only add one more wasteful government beaurocracy to the payroll. That's the last thing we need.



    Lol[/QUOTE]
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    No, I do not concede that. I agreed that I believe marijuana can expose underlying mental illness, or hasten the symptoms of mental illness, but I do not believe it causes mental illness, nor do I believe that if these mentally ill people had never used marijuana that they would never have become mentally ill. Correlation vs. causation. You have no hard evidence to support your theory, I have no hard evidence to support mine. What I can say is that I do not advocate the use of marijuana by minors, and I believe that prohibition places children at greater risk to be exposed to marijuana. ]
    Its a pity the tobacco companies never thought of that one.
    All those smokers who got lung,throat, mouth cancer,emphysema would have got the diseases anyway.
    That wouldnt of worked for them and it doesnt work for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    No, I do not want to make it easier for children to get marijuana in the future, and I believe I have made that clear. I believe that the current system of prohibition makes marijuana more available to children, due to unscrupulous dealers who only want to make a profit.

    And furthermore, I believe that seperating marijuana from hard drugs such as you listed will decrease exposure to these hard drugs. I work in an envronment where I see drugs all the time. The same guy on the corner that deals pot can also get you crack, meth, coke, or just about anything else you want. It's a no brainer that if people are buying their marijuana at a dispensary, they wouldn't need to be exposed to dealers like this anyway. ]
    You made it clear that by allowing anyone to grow cannabis somehow children will have less access to it...?
    Yes they would buy their pot at the dispensary and buy their crack on the street corner.Why not let them buy their crack at the dispensary too?
    Save them a walk...sheesh


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Gangs and cartels affect all of us. I just want them to go away. As I have explained before, it is the war on drugs and the policy of prohibition that keeps them in business.


    I was talking about the violence that cartels and street gangs deliver day after day. Perhaps you don't see such in you little kingdom over there, but I see gang violence almost daily at work. I've never known a "pothead" to shoot another "pothead" who was buying marijuana from him. ]

    Of course those gang members would have to get a real job if you deprive them of selling a few ounces of pot a day.
    You live in a real tough hood and we Brits live soft a little kingdom ..give me strength, I would be offended if that wasnt so ridiculous.
    Please tell those dealers to stop shooting their customers.lol
    There are plenty of gangs guns and violence in Britain...not as much as YOU have of course lol

    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    If legalized, marijuana sold at disrensaries could be cheaper than what is currently available on the black market. Any time you make something illegal and push it underground, you increase it's value to those who want it. If I were going to buy marijuana, I would still rather pay a few bucks more to buy it in a safe environment like a dispensary from someone I trust than to go out and take my chances with the armed gang banger on the street.]
    As I said selling from dispensaries is preferable than allowing a free for all but if you sell from dispensaries and still allowed people to grow pot then there still would be the capacity to grow and sell and anyone who grew a bit of extra to sell will ALWAYS be able to undercut the dispensaries or grow a more powerful variant than the dispensaries sell.
    So unless you are saying you prohibit home grown then you really dont have a case and if you say we should prohibit home grown pot we are back to where we started


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    If you want to insist that it is an "evil". ]
    If your child became mentally ill through smoking pot then you would think it evil...as said as long as it doesnt affect you.
    And no I havent


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    If marijuana were taken out of their hands, most would no longer be around. Hmmm...lock people up for causing problems, or make them vanish and eliminate the problems. Hmmmm....]
    If you think legalising pot will make the gangs go back to college then there is not much point in arguing with you


    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Probably not. It's because the majority of people who do home distill don't sell their product. They use it themselves, or share it with friends on a social basis.]

    Or its illegal to sell home made liquor






    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Overdose simply means "excessive dose". And yes, actually it is thought that one person (perhaps 2) has died from an LSD overdose, but it requires extraordinarily high doses, and is not easy to do. I am thinking in terms of the work that I do, where overdose means to seriously places one's life at risk via ingestion of a drug or chemical.]
    Its thought but not proved...and if the most possible fatalies are 2 then LSD must be nearly as safe as pot and far safer than alcohol.....or maybe not




    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Many dispensaries do their own quality control. Simple testing is available through labs and much testing can be done right in the dispensary with a few basic tools. But again, simple logic tells us that if marijuana can be cultivated legally, the practices used to grow it will improve. I know a few people who grow their own, and they go t great lengths to ensure that they grow healthy plants organically with no disease or infestation. ]
    What is to stop the homegrower selling marijuana that was cultivated badly?

    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Government inspection would only add one more wasteful government beaurocracy to the payroll. That's the last thing we need. ]
    What we should do is assume all home growers are stand up guys because they do not belong or could not possibly belong to a gang.
    Therefore anything they sell would be high quality.........





    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

  6. #246
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,718
    gansao, have you ever used marijuana?

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    gansao, have you ever used marijuana?
    I dont suppose the the FBI will be knocking on my door so I can tell you I have used it , grown it and sold it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •