Poll: Should marijuana be legalized?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana Legalization

Marijuana Legalization

Should marijuana be legalized?

Whats stopping the legalization of it?
    "There is a fundamental conviction which some people never acquire, some hold only in their youth, and a few hold until the end of their days--the conviction that ideas matter . . . "

- Ayn Rand

Should it be legalized? Yes.
    Is it harmful? No, not nearly as much as alcohol or tobacco.
    Should it be taxed once legalized? Yes.
    Should laws still aply to it, such as DUIs and the like? Yes.

As for what is blocking it, people who have been convinced, mostly by right wing politicians that legalizing marijuana would bring about an end to civillization. They'e simply afraid of people enjoying themselves in a non-harmful way.
    Film is truth 24 times a second

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Quote Originally Posted by sanguinekane
    Should it be legalized? Yes.
    Is it harmful? No, not nearly as much as alcohol or tobacco.
    Should laws still aply to it, such as DUIs and the like? Yes.
    Should it be legalized? Only if every other country did it
    Is it harmful? Yes more so then moderate alcohol use and worse then smoking
    Should laws still apply to it, such as DUIs and the like? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve
    Should it be legalized? Only if every other country did it
    Why? Since when do we attempt to "emulate" other countrys?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve
    Is it harmful? Yes more so then moderate alcohol use and worse then
    smoking
    Prove that. What you dont see is that marijuana is also helpful.

Is it harmful? Yes more so then moderate alcohol use and worse then smoking
    I don't believe that. Give me some proof. Besides, one does not have to smoke marijuana to get high.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Legalized? No.

Decriminalized? Immediately.

Make it similar to a parking ticket in terms of legal trouble.
    Some people love their country because of what it is, because of the principles it is built on, because of its prosperity and freedom. Then others love their country because it is their country, and will destroy all that is actually good about it to silence those who disagree. Which do you think you are? - Symbiote

Quote Originally Posted by Duo_Maxwell
    Legalized? No.

Decriminalized? Immediately.

Make it similar to a parking ticket in terms of legal trouble.
    I don't get it. Why is it parking-ticket wrong? You don't give people you-had-a-beer-after-work tickets. What justifies tickets for smoking pot?

I can't wait for MASD. That'll be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Clerisian
    I don't get it. Why is it parking-ticket wrong? You don't give people you-had-a-beer-after-work tickets. What justifies tickets for smoking pot?
    First of all, MJ has side affects. Alot of them. Second, the damage that widespread use to our already screwed up healthcare could be astronomical.
    However, the current system obviously does not work. But because it is not a problem free drug, legalizing it is likely a bad idea. If we had a single payer system where people were accountable for their own health, I wouldn't have a problem. 7 million ways to screw/kill yourself. You make the decision.
    Some people love their country because of what it is, because of the principles it is built on, because of its prosperity and freedom. Then others love their country because it is their country, and will destroy all that is actually good about it to silence those who disagree. Which do you think you are? - Symbiote

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFalcon
    Why? Since when do we attempt to "emulate" other countrys?
    I just say this so we don't become like amsterdam

Prove that. What you dont see is that marijuana is also helpful.
    Prove that marijuana is not good for you? Or prove that it is worse then smoking and alcohol?

Either one, we have discussed this in the crime debate forum so see that. Marijuana is "less" harmful then an alcoholic...but that is not a good comparison. In fact, it is hard to compare the two. A normal user of marijuana is worse then a normal(1-2 beer, glass of wine, etc) user of alcohol (see other forum). Smoking tobacco is as harmful if not less harmful then smoking weed. You are just inhaling more cancer causing agents then tobacco...but once again, what do you compare? One pack to one joint? One to one? I dunno...I think the bottom line is if you had to put certain things into categories then alcohol, tobacco, weed would be "bad for you" herion, coke would be "really bad for you", sugar and sweets would be "not good in large numbers for you", carbs would be "ok with normal amounts" for you and so on.

Legalize:NO. Punishable by law: Yes. Do you not know that MJ will kill you? What about alcohol poisoning, smoking addiction? They are all addictive drugs. Yet alcohol is not a "get high" drug and can be ahandled by the body in small ammounts. Smoking (the basis for MJ) is harmful and causes lung cancer. So just add another health risk to American's and raise social security. While we all kick back lite a fresh one and say "screw problems man, like mellow out and watch out for responsibility". And then the country goes to "pot".

Quote Originally Posted by Duo_Maxwell
    First of all, MJ has side affects. Alot of them.
    If something has side effects, then we should ticket people who do that something? Is that a general principle you're ready to accept?

Second, the damage that widespread use to our already screwed up healthcare could be astronomical.
    Why would ticketing, as opposed to legalizing or not legalizing (that is, what we have now), lead to less widespread use? There's an argument in here somewhere, but you just aren't making it.

However, the current system obviously does not work. But because it is not a problem free drug, legalizing it is likely a bad idea.
    We should not legalize anything that is not problem-free?

If we had a single payer system where people were accountable for their own health...
    Isn't a single payer system the sort of system where the government, not individuals, are accountable for the health of the people? Perhaps in a pure free-market system, you could argue that if you smoke weed and get sick, it's your own damn fault, hire a doctor. But under a single payer system, you are not accountable; everyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyjason
    Legalize:NO. Punishable by law: Yes. Do you not know that MJ will kill you? What about alcohol poisoning, smoking addiction? They are all addictive drugs.
    Which only raises the question, what is the qualitative difference between alcohol and MJ?

Yet alcohol is not a "get high" drug and can be ahandled by the body in small ammounts.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Okay, I'm done.

(not a "get high" drug indeed...)

Smoking (the basis for MJ) is harmful and causes lung cancer. So just add another health risk to American's and raise social security. While we all kick back lite a fresh one and say "screw problems man, like mellow out and watch out for responsibility". And then the country goes to "pot".
    I'm finding it very hard to understand PRECISELY what it is that you are worried about. Health problems? Lameass hippies? What?

Marijuana is not addictive, at least nowhere near the level as tobacco and alcohol.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

it's not physically addictive, like caffeine, nicotine or alcohol, but it is psychologically addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett
    it's not physically addictive, like caffeine, nicotine or alcohol, but it is psychologically addictive.

So is recreation.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

I mean it is another problem just waiting to escalate in the nation. Think about it- teens having adults by drugs for them, they fail in school become criminals etc. We need to control this. The AMA has done lots of tests for long term effects, phycological ones. So were gonna throw away all we have done with anti drug programs, drug rehap , just to enforce it?