Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

The first rule of sustainability is - destroy less.

The fewer things we make the more sustainable we are.

A society that destroys ecosystems for "consumer goods" in addition to food, clothing and shelter is the least sustainable - and will exist for the shortest duration.

Industrial society has destroyed necessary things [animals, trees, air, water and land] for making unnecessary things [consumer goods].

In "Industrial Society" work turns into overwork, unnecessary work, destructive work.

"Growth Rate" - "Economy Rate" - "GDP"
    These are figures of "Ecocide".
    These are figures of "crimes against Nature".
    These are figures of "destruction of Ecosystems".
    These are figures of "Insanity, Abnormality and Criminality".

Infinite growth and development on a small planet that is just 40,000 km in circumference? - Industrial Society is insane.

To read the complete article please follow any of these links :

http://www.envirolink.org/forum/view...php?f=3&t=2915
    http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=1796
    http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb...?f=15&t=145350

Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment
    Last edited by sushil yadav; 11-17-2012 at 03:48 AM.

An environmental extremist whacko at its finest.
    Democrats campaigned on transparency. Yessireebob! They're transparent alright! People are seeing RIGHT THROUGH THEM!!

The Official Flag of the American Left
    http://www.worldclassflags.com/productimages/cf_ussr.gif

Well, as long as he spends his time and effort here, he is at least not spray-painting SUV`s and harrasing custumers at KFC
    Knowledge is power. Hide it well.

Since it flunked my troll test (1st post and very looooong), I did not read much of it.
    Dono
    That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Hmmm... interesting ideas, but really this post an article and run style is not good -- put something in your own words.

What's your point -- what do you want people to do, how can they do it?
    "Man has to suffer. When he has no real afflictions, he invents some."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Well, as long as he spends his time and effort here, he is at least not spray-painting SUV`s and harrasing custumers at KFC
    Amen to that
    Democrats campaigned on transparency. Yessireebob! They're transparent alright! People are seeing RIGHT THROUGH THEM!!

Quote Originally Posted by sushil yadav
    Destroy Industrial Society before it is too late.

This is the same mantra and identical philosophy of the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

Quote Originally Posted by Dono
    Since it flunked my troll test (1st post and very looooong), I did not read much of it.
    Dono
    I got as far as "Emotion is what we experience during gaps in our thinking." and the nutter-alert alarm bells started ringing. I then looked at the length of the post and gave up. I'd agree with Bassman (probably for the first and last time in my life): we have a fully paid up member of the environmental extremist whacko brigade here.
    Accurate and within-context quote censored by the admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dono
    Dono
    A Trollin' we will go, a trollin' we will go...

Please note - polluting Water and Air is equivalent to killing Water and Air
    Definite nutter.
    "It is impossible to understand reality without the use of mathematics"

- Richard Feynman

Sometimes a refrigerator is just a refrigerator. I bought mine, not with happiness in mind only to have my elation smashed against the rocks, but to keep my milk cold.

It isn't surprising that you would choose a refrigerator as a symbol of what's wrong with industrial society, the Unabomber used the same example in his manifesto. He went to great lengths explaining how dependent we have become on others, how we are raping the earth to get the copper that makes up the wires in the unit, etc.

His conclusions thus reached were where his mental illness displayed itself. Kill all the people with industrial knowledge, all academia, burn all the books and manuals, and return to a primitive "natural" state.

I don't see much room between you and Kaczynski, and I also note you both have no qualms about using technology to spread your ideas. Here's an opportunity for you to distance yourself from him and renounce his violent message.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

Hey sushil! There are about 99.999% of us who don't agree with you.

Material things don't bring peace and happiness. Today billions of people have got things which even Kings did not have in the past. Car, computer, television, fridge, telephone - no King ever had these things. But people are still restless and unhappy. The fast-paced, consumerist lifestyle of Industrial Society is causing exponential rise in psychological problems - besides destroying the environment. Our Minds cannot be peaceful when attention-spans are down to nanoseconds, microseconds and milliseconds.
    Who's to say what peace and happiness are when you're talking about the entire human race? When has the entire human race ever been peaceful and happy? In the past, before industrialisation?
    OK, my car makes me happy because I can travel with ease, my TV (occasionally ie when I'm watching something that isn't XXXX) makes me happy because it entertains me. My fridge makes me happy because I can keep lots of different food and make interesting meals. My telephone makes me happy because it links me to hundreds of people.
    Of course I am aware that all these technological innovations have their downsides, but everything has a downside. People who lived hundreds, or thousands, of years ago had shorter lives, were prone to horrible diseases, did not live in the relative personal security we have in developed countries, and I think if there were some way of measuring happiness we would find that they were no more happy than we are today.
    I don't think there is any evidence to support the notion that the cause of mental illness is industrial society. We do know that mental illness existed before industrial society.
    You talk about attention spans reducing...this doesn't make any sense to me. OK we do live in a fast-paced world, and the popularity of inventions like TV and computer games shows that we like surprises, we like being surprised continually, to have exciting stuff to look at and interact with which evolves quickly. This is just one facet of our intellect, and shows how amazing are brains are that they can cope with all that information.
    Another facet of our intellect, however, is the ability to spend a long period of time doing something. I have spent ages reading your posts and writing this one, I spend hours studying for my degree, I have stood in places of great beauty and just stared at them, without my mind wandering and worrying because my attention span has somehow been reduced by living in the 21st century.

Consumerist-Lifestyle is just not sustainable. If we do not immediately return to living a very simple and frugal life then very soon there will be no human life on earth.
    Well it's obviously true that our consumption of resources is not sustainable, however there is no way 6 billion people are going to suddenly agree to live a simple and frugal life. It's just not in our nature. You talked about people being "restless and unhappy" in modern society, this is because no matter how many mod cons we have, we will always want more, want it better, want to see what happens if we do something new. This is why we have spread all over the earth and achieved so many things (both good and bad). This is why communism never works, because people don't want to have a static existence where their life will be the same, every day, where they won't have the promise of new and interesting experience.
    So it's just not going to happen, and we will undoubtedly enter a chaotic era of global crisis which will be a testing time for the species. I seriously doubt, however, that we will wipe ourselves out, unless we have a nuclear war.
    Our population is far too big, China and India are industrialising, and very soon demand will outstrip supply on a global scale. This will lead to breakdowns in society, to wars, famine, disease and general death and chaos, and over a long period of time a lot of people will die. But there will be survivors.
    Nature's capacity to heal itself is incredible - in the worst of the 5 mass extinction events that the planet has experienced, 95% of all life was destroyed, but the survivors carried on and eventually produced the world we live in now.

Very soon there will be 1 Animal and 1 Tree left in this world and people will still be thinking positive.
    Slightly hyperbolic, don't you think? Unless we have a massive nuclear war, there is NO WAY we will wipe out all life on earth. An species that becomes too populous for it's environment dies back. This will happen to us, for more complex reasons than other species because of who we are, but it will happen, and the planet will recover, and our descendents will hopefully learn from our mistakes.

I understand your concerns, but I think you're being far too idealistic as regards to your notion of human happiness, and completely melodramatic in your ideas of what the future holds. This century, and the next, will be dangerous and uncertain, but we are not going to kill the planet, or ourselves.

Take a break, relax, have a beer or something, and enjoy your life!
    "It is impossible to understand reality without the use of mathematics"

- Richard Feynman

JPSartre12 Guest
    Regarding Industrialization there is an important point to be noted. Modern Industrial Society has existed for 100 years - 200 years - 300 years. When we compare this period with the total duration for which human society has existed on earth this period is so short - so small that it almost does'nt exist. It is almost zero.

Material things don't bring peace and happiness. Today billions of people have got things which even Kings did not have in the past. Car, computer, television, fridge, telephone - no King ever had these things. But people are still restless and unhappy. The fast-paced, consumerist lifestyle of Industrial Society is causing exponential rise in psychological problems - besides destroying the environment. Our Minds cannot be peaceful when attention-spans are down to nanoseconds, microseconds and milliseconds.

Consumerist-Lifestyle is just not sustainable. If we do not immediately return to living a very simple and frugal life then very soon there will be no human life on earth.
    How do you propose feeding over 6 billion people living "the simple life"?
    Think Positive.
    I'm POSITIVE that we can't do it.
    Psychologists say -- Think Positive.
    before or after they hand you their bill?
    Politicians say Think Positive..
    Economists say Think Positive..
    Scientists say Think Positive..
    Everyone says Think Positive..
    before or after they pay their bills?
    Arctic ice is melting Glaciers are melting Rivers are drying up.
    Think Positive.
    If all of the ice is melting, why are the rivers drying up? Where's the water going?
    Fish population in Oceans is down to 1/3 of what it was 100 years ago.
    Think Positive.
    Eat beef.
    Pollution levels are going sky-high and valley-deep.
    Think Positive.
    Think of it as "landfill".
    There used to be millions of members in most species of Animals and Birds. Now they are down to thousands and hundreds.
    Think Positive.
    Millions of years ago, there were dinosaurs. They're gone now. It's called evolution/survival of the fittest.
    Weather is getting more and more irregular and unpredictable.
    Think Positive.
    Would you prefer another stable ice age?
    Thinking positive is the height of insanity.
    Thinking positive is the height of abnormality.

This is a world that has become completely incapable of feeling Pain, Compassion, Remorse and Guilt.
    The planet is getting destroyed moment by moment and people are thinking positive.

Very soon there will be 1 Animal and 1 Tree left in this world and people will still be thinking positive.
    And that animal will be man.
    They will be holding Seminars, Conferences and Global-Summits to save the Environment.
    sushil yadav
    God I hope not. THAT would be depressing.

I knew it--kill all humans to save the planet. How absurd. There's an organization which advocates that very philosophy. Are you a member?