Thread: Vanity and boredom fuel Iran's nose job boom

Vanity and boredom fuel Iran's nose job boom

The parallel explanations represent a curious twist in one of modern Iran's most visible social trends. The streets of Tehran abound with young people - mostly, but not exclusively, women - with their noses in plaster from the effects of surgery.

The phenomenon reflects a competitive urge among fashion-conscious Iranians to put their cosmetic handiwork on display. According to doctors, some even wear nose plasters as a status symbol without actually having had the operation

snip

The Islamic republic has the highest rate of nose surgery in the world, although precise figures are hard to establish. In recent years other forms of cosmetic enhancement, including chin operations, finger nail implants, embedding fake diamonds in the gums and tattooed eyebrows, have also become popular, but the nose job remains the most in-demand.

Iranians refer to the perfectly formed button nose it is meant to achieve as the "one million toman (£590) nose". In fact, the going rate ranges from much less than that to about £2,600.

One prominent Tehran plastic surgeon says his patients include the daughters of senior Islamic clerics.

Its use in the Islamic republic was officially sanctioned by Ayatollah Khomeini, Iran's late leader and father of the Islamic revolution. He gave the go-ahead after being consulted by a religious figure whose daughter was due to be operated on by Iran's leading plastic surgeon, Mohammed Abidipour
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story...478562,00.html

Funny for an evil totatitarian regime to have such a high rate of plastic surgery
    Admittedly, the concept of the Straussian text is one susceptible to intellectual mischief in the form of wild claims about the esoteric meaning of texts, not to mention rather off-putting for anyone who doesn’t like know-it-all elites.
    Orthodox Judaism, not to mention other religions: there is a small number of men who know the detailed truth; the masses are told what they need to know and no more

This confirms my suspicisions: plastic surgery is the tool of the devil!
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."
    -- Plato

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."
    -- Thomas Paine

The Islamic Republic has the highest rate of nose surgery in the world, although precise figures are difficult to establish. In recent years, other forms of cosmetic enhancement, including chin operations, nail implants, the integration of fake diamonds in the gums and tattooed eyebrows, have also become popular, but the work remains the nose as demand.
    nosejobguide.com