Thread: Questions for the US ambassador.

Questions for the US ambassador.

US ambassador to Ireland giving talk on trans-atlantic relations tommorrow in my Uni. Any good ideas on questions I could ask?

EDIT: I was thinking of a question about the role of NATO. Such as is it only relevant now as a means for the US to block greater EU security/defence co-operation in the effort to prevent the creation of a rival to the US?
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."
    -- Plato

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."
    -- Thomas Paine

I think he'd brush that one aside with Europe's refusal to place a NATO 'footprint' in Iraq, blaming Europe for weaking the alliance.
    Then you'll hear about Turkey.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

Quote Originally Posted by georged
    I think he'd brush that one aside with Europe's refusal to place a NATO 'footprint' in Iraq, blaming Europe for weaking the alliance.
    Wouldn't that just prove my point?

What about turkey?
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."
    -- Plato

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."
    -- Thomas Paine

Not from his viewpoint. He'd blame Europe, not the unilateral US action, for lack of direct NATO participation in Iraq. Afghanistan's US puppet government has requested long-term security by US troops (since they control only about 15% of the country) and NATO has refused direct participation in peacekeeping, offering 10k troops as a security force for non-US humanitarian groups. The US is desperate for assistance in both countries and is trying to wedge our Afghanistan requirements against NATO (EU) desires.

The US is pushing the EU hard for Turkey's membership as a palm leaf for putting Iraq's Kurds in a position of power. Turkey fears natural alignment of Turkey's Kurd population, in rebellion, with Iraq.

Not from his viewpoint. He'd blame Europe, not the unilateral US action, for lack of direct NATO participation in Iraq. Afghanistan's US puppet government has requested long-term security by US troops (since they control only about 15% of the country) and NATO has refused direct participation in peacekeeping, offering 10k troops as a security force for non-US humanitarian groups. The US is desperate for assistance in both countries and is trying to wedge our Afghanistan requirements against NATO (EU) desires.

The US is pushing the EU hard for Turkey's membership as a palm leaf for putting Iraq's Kurds in a position of power. Turkey fears natural alignment of Turkey's Kurd population, in rebellion, with Iraq.

I'm not blaming unilateral US action I was just pointing out NATO's pointlessness which is consistent with everything you've said.

Don't see what the turkey element has to do with NATO.

I am for Turkish membership in the EU and greater European involvment in Iraq, but I really don't see how these arguements are linked to my question, other than supporting it!
    -- Plato

-- Thomas Paine

I'm under the impression your position is to reduce European NATO dependence and form greater reliance on EU defense, the opposite of US administration desire. I'm pointing out that the US will blame that change on Europe, and agreeing with you. I just can't see any point that will spark debate with a US diplomat. We're looking for people to blame and help correct our not yet admitted errors, not solid alliances.

Turkey is a NATO member who might be in the market for military assistance with rebellious Kurds. EU membership would go a long way to ensure that aid and relieve possible future US participation. Just to show you how far we've backed ourselves into a corner, if Turkey's Kurds did align with Iraq's Kurds, who would the US support? I think that would be a leading question for your gathering.

I'm under the impression your position is to reduce European NATO dependence and form greater reliance on EU defense, the opposite of US administration desire. I'm pointing out that the US will blame that change on Europe, and agreeing with you. I just can't see any point that will spark debate with a US diplomat. We're looking for people to blame and help correct our not yet admitted errors, not solid alliances.

Turkey is a NATO member who might be in the market for military assistance with rebellious Kurds. EU membership would go a long way to ensure that aid and relieve possible future US participation.
    Hmmmmmmmmm.........

Just to show you how far we've backed ourselves into a corner, if Turkey's Kurds did align with Iraq's Kurds, who would the US support? I think that would be a leading question for your gathering.
    Now THAT is a question.
    -- Plato

-- Thomas Paine

The problem conversing with any politician, and the diplomats I've encountered are generally far more skilled than those seeking public office, is they set discussion parameters with either a formal agenda or limit questions to specific material. The way good media reporters play it is to have someone else set him up on topic with an opening and then the real question slides in between his ribs.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/

He's Bush's boy, not a professional diplomat.

I wish I could take the time to do more research on this..

Another question I was considering was in the context of the constitutional treaty, what effect (if any) would the creation the changes to the EU presidency (and the foreign policy position also) have on trans-atlantic relations, and would more of US-European diplomacy take place on these levels. Or something.
    -- Plato

-- Thomas Paine

fracas Guest
    so what did you ask him?