Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Should Women be allowed to serve in hand to hand combat in the military?

Well said. Why indeed? I'd rather have a mentally stable black belt (in any martial art) who happens to be female next to me than a barely-trained male psychopath, but the current policy reverses that preference. It's not justifiable rationally, but only by appeal to latent sexism.
    I guess, but how many women have black belts........I personally don't believe most women want to be in hand to hand combat with men twice their size.......As I said the few that do, if they can meet the physical requirements so be it.................

Personally, I am 6'2" 195 lbs and would prefer someone of that stature at my back, but that is just me..........
    Abortion is the most barbaric act one human being can perpetrate on another.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Reason
    I am 6'2" 195 lbs and would prefer someone of that stature at my back, but that is just me..........
    I'm the same height, but I lost the extra weight. It doesn't matter. I've had to deal with some violent situations in my time, I know how to deal with the average street brawler, but I've also known at least a half-dozen women who could take me down because they had spent years developing superior skills. I'd rather have one of them at my back than you any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    I'm the same height, but I lost the extra weight. It doesn't matter. I've had to deal with some violent situations in my time, I know how to deal with the average street brawler, but I've also known at least a half-dozen women who could take me down because they had spent years developing superior skills. I'd rather have one of them at my back than you any day.

What extra weight? Of course there are exceptions to every rule as far as women go........
    Abortion is the most barbaric act one human being can perpetrate on another.

Native Texan currently residing in Wisconsin
    I am not suggesting for a moment that there are not certain women in this world that couldn't open a can of whup-XXX in a New York minute. I am just saying that in my opinion the woman was placed on this planet for higher reasons than brawling with warring men. I do not want to go toe to toe with a woman from any country trained or not. In my world, even my enemy should respect the place of our women as I would theirs. Of course, it is getting more obvious every day that such ideals have fallen by the wayside.

I do not want my precious little neice (who just lost her two front teeth ) to ever know the hell of war. Neither do I want my daughter, daughter-in-law, mother or any other woman for that matter to ever be put in a position that they have to get down in the mud for a cause so beneath them. Like the King on a chess board, they should ALWAYS be protected first. Black belt or not.

All of that being said, let us not forget this. A 90 pound, blue eyed, frail little girl who is intelligent and properly trained, can track and mark and execute enough fire power to take out an entire city all the while sitting at a nice, cool, firecontrol console....drinking a cup of hot java 150 miles away from the fight. Not even the meanest marine could accomplish that in any hand to hand situation. Food for thought.

Just my old dinosaur opinion mind you. Don't get me started or I'll tell you how many miles I used to have to walk to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthsayer
    I do not want my precious little neice (who just lost her two front teeth ) to ever know the hell of war.
    I wouln't want my precious little nephew to know that either.
    Don't get me started or I'll tell you how many miles I used to have to walk to school.
    You had a school? You were lucky.

Native Texan currently residing in Wisconsin
    I wouln't want my precious little nephew to know that either.
    Ditto....

There are some advantages being born male and some disadvantages too. I would prefer to personally stand in the face of danger before I seen any of my loved ones stand there. Male or female.

But, like 100% of the people posting here, I did not determine my gender at birth. Fate born me a male. I accept that. I also accept the responsibilities, as taught to me, that are expected for me to be a man. I just don't feel that we, as a society, should include the responsibility of hand-to-hand, blood and guts fighting, to our women. They are far too important.

But I am the first to admit that my thinking on this matter is a few decades behind the "progressive" liberal viewpoint. But if that's progress, I don't want any part of it.

If society prefers, I would be happy to just bow out and spend my autumn years fishing on my pond and keep my opinions to myself. Life is just to short to spend in political turmoil.

With the exception of this forum here, I generally do keep my opinions to myself. You all know what they say about opinions anyway. I can't imagine why mine would be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthsayer
    But, like 100% of the people posting here, I did not determine my gender at birth.
    What, you don't remember filling out that form? Multiple orgasms sounded nice, but periods and pregancy made it seem like a bad tradeoff so I went for the higher paycheck. Didn't you get to choose? How barbaric!

Mike Lovell Guest
    Ask Jessica Lynch..............

Ask Jessica Lynch what??? ROFLMAO I would like her to tell you exactly what she thinks about youre posting and bringing her name into this. She was quite upset about the government making a hero out of her and lying to try and use the news to influence the american public.

Serving in combat and hand to hand combat are two separate issues..........Serving in combat itself may be up for debate but serving in hand to hand combat is a definite no..........If I am in a foxhole and in hand to hand combat I want some 6'2" 200 lb guy like me watching my back, not some 5' 100 lb female...........
    You in a fox hole? Hard to imagine! But being a big fat slob you would make an easy target! The Viet Cong were small and many of them women and nevertheless beat the XXXX out of the yanks all the way to Saigon!

I’d rather have a woman on my back than VOR at my back unless the enemy is shooting from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    I’d rather have a woman on my back than VOR at my back unless the enemy is shooting from behind.

oooo gettin a little testy huh?
    -*Gig 'em*-.. All things work out for good, to those who LOVE the Lord. Romans 8:28

Cool

Why shouldn't women be included in the military. We are equal to men and have the same capabilities. I disagree with people specifically saying "A woman died in Iraq, today." as opposed to just saying a soldier. Because what are they: Women? or Soldiers?
    Evelyn Waugh---Bridey (I hope you know who I am.)
    Help me in the movement to get rid of the Electoral College.

Have an open mind to everything---Except those who aren't open.
    BYE. E.W.

First of all - welcome to the site, EvelynW.

Secondly:
    Quote Originally Posted by EvelynW.
    We are equal to men and have the same capabilities.
    That's not true...and real men are proud of it, in a positive way.

Even though there could be certain women that I would rather have as a foxhole partner than certain men - it does not hold true that all women can perform "manly" tasks. "Soldiering" to me means a person that is capable of handling any and all requirements of war, including hand-to-hand combat.
    Ain't life funny...

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynW.
    Why shouldn't women be included in the military. We are equal to men and have the same capabilities.
    Equal how?
    Certainly not emotionally
    Physically? I bet not on average.
    I just don't think putting women in combat is a good idea, there are too many complications, too many distractions..
    Are we expected to have the men take pity on us when the Traveling Menstrals are in town?
    How about when we get knocked up in combat? Like that would never happen
    I am a woman and I am perfectly happy letting our men defend our nation. Some things are a Man's job.
    "The man who alters his way of thinking to suit others is a fool."
    (Donatien Alphonse François comte de Sade)
    Marquis de SADE

What makes us not equal? We are both humans! Just because we have our period doens't mean that we can't take some asprin and get the heck over it. I don't expect the men to take pity on us. We would be just another one of the soldiers. And differences in emotions? Are you kidding me? You've never met a guy who isn't over emotional like VERY FEW women are? You've never met a woman who is stonewall?

We are equal.
    Evelyn Waugh---Bridey (I hope you know who I am.)
    Help me in the movement to get rid of the Electoral College.

Have an open mind to everything---Except those who aren't open.
    BYE. E.W.