Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Women be allowed to serve in hand to hand combat in the military?

Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Reason
    I think that any woman that can pass the same physical requirements that a man passes should qualify...........
    For once i agree with you. However, you seem to believe that this would exclude all women in practise, which I doubt. But there's no point in lowering the physical strength required for women - its not a test of how hard you're trying but whether you're fit for the job.

Can you DO the job?

Do you WANT to do the job?

Then if both are true, you should be allowed to do the job. No ifs, ands or buts.

Quote Originally Posted by Obvious Child
    For once i agree with you. However, you seem to believe that this would exclude all women in practise, which I doubt. But there's no point in lowering the physical strength required for women - its not a test of how hard you're trying but whether you're fit for the job.
    I don't think it would exclude all women but probably about 90 percent of them......
    Abortion is the most barbaric act one human being can perpetrate on another.

Native Texan currently residing in Wisconsin
    I have to wonder what our nation is coming to and the depths that American manhood has sunk to, to let our women go and fight our fights.

I think the protection of our daughters, wives and mothers should trump our needs to be politically correct. They should be protected at all costs.

I know that makes me sound pretty old fashioned but I can live with that. Chivalry is not dead in my family yet.

Nor in mine. However, are you going to tell any woman that she can't do the job she chooses?

I'm not saying we should force women into hand to hand combat, any more than we should force a woman to have an abortion or not. But if the woman chooses that path for herself and is able to pursue it, I say more power to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthsayer
    I have to wonder what our nation is coming to and the depths that American manhood has sunk to, to let our women go and fight our fights.

I think the protection of our daughters, wives and mothers should trump our needs to be politically correct. They should be protected at all costs.

I know that makes me sound pretty old fashioned but I can live with that. Chivalry is not dead in my family yet.
    But we shouldn't turn our backs on those women that have the physical capability to make the grade, should we?

I say let common sense take over.

...and as far as old-fashionedness goes, I'm extreme - particularly these days where pacifists seem to rule the roost.
    Ain't life funny...

I am the first to admit that many of my views are outdated. But I am the kinda guy that still opens the doors for ladies, I buy my wife roses at least once a month, I never use foul language in front of women and I think they should be put high up on a pedestal and protected at all costs. That will never change in my mind.

But the good news, I suppose, is that people like me will be dead and gone in 20-30 years and you young ones can have it all to yourselves. Your gays can get married, you can buy your herion at the liquor stores, your ladies can go and fight your wars and even make your livings for you without us old codgers looking down our noses at you. We old farts wiill be out of your way. We've had our turn at running things and I am not so sure we did such a bang-up job ourselves. I wish the younger generations better luck.

But until then, you're just gonna have to deal with us I suppose.

I am the first to admit that many of my views are outdated.
    Outdated? I reckon so. But that's all.
    Ain't life funny...

Even though you think I am Nazi Truthsayer I kind of like a little of your thinking.......I guess we are both old fashioned and not politically correct.........

Quote Originally Posted by Voice Of Reason
    Even though you think I am Nazi Truthsayer I kind of like a little of your thinking.......I guess we are both old fashioned and not politically correct.........
    Well, I knew once we got past the boring ritual of calling each other a "liberal" or "facist" we would come to terms eventually.

Being new here, if you recall, any opinion of mine that was a foot or two to the left of yours resulted in redicule from you. Thus my retort to you for your opinions that were a foot or two to the right of mine. It's bad enough that I catch hell from the left but when the right starts in on me,

I never really thought you were truly a "facist" but was merely trying to drive home a point. If me being six inches left of you made me a liberal then you being six incheds right of me made you a facist. Turnabout is fair play. Looking back, that was kinda silly. But as they say, two wrongs don't make a right. So, for my part, I go on record as apologizing to you for that.

I kept telling you I wasn't, by any shape form or fashion, a "liberal" in any sense of the word. Although I do admit I do lean left on a FEW issues. But not on the IMPORTANT ones. But do we all not have that right to be free and independant in thought without fear of redicule?

I may be set in my "rightwing" (for the most part) ways but I am the kind of righty that defends the lefty even if their views are warped (in my opinion). To me, that's freedom. I love America and I love freedom. Even if it works against my views. I do not want the responsibility of dictating to society how they should or should not be. If anything, I would prefer to lead by example rather that dictate.

What say we start over?

With Mr. Missouri gone, I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

Liberalism is not a disease anymore than conservatism is. United we stand, divided we fall. It's the yen and I am the yang. All coins have two sides. I live as a conservative. My neighbor lives as a liberal. Either of us would watch the others property in the absence of one or the other. That's the way it should be. That's what makes Americans the best people on the planet in my humble opinion. It really bothers me to see others not realizing this. But I'll survive because I AM AN AMERICAN!

Nurglitch Guest
    Truthsayer:

Voice of Reason: You could learn something from that guy.

Well, I knew once we got past the boring ritual of calling each other a "liberal" or "facist" we would come to terms eventually.

Being new here, if you recall, any opinion of mine that was a foot or two to the left of yours resulted in redicule from you. Thus my retort to you for your opinions that were a foot or two to the right of mine. It's bad enough that I catch hell from the left but when the right starts in on me,

I never really thought you were truly a "facist" but was merely trying to drive home a point. If me being six inches left of you made me a liberal then you being six incheds right of me made you a facist. Turnabout is fair play. Looking back, that was kinda silly. But as they say, two wrongs don't make a right. So, for my part, I go on record as apologizing to you for that.

I kept telling you I wasn't, by any shape form or fashion, a "liberal" in any sense of the word. Although I do admit I do lean left on a FEW issues. But not on the IMPORTANT ones. But do we all not have that right to be free and independant in thought without fear of redicule?

I may be set in my "rightwing" (for the most part) ways but I am the kind of righty that defends the lefty even if their views are warped (in my opinion). To me, that's freedom. I love America and I love freedom. Even if it works against my views. I do not want the responsibility of dictating to society how they should or should not be. If anything, I would prefer to lead by example rather that dictate.

What say we start over?

With Mr. Missouri gone, I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

Liberalism is not a disease anymore than conservatism is. United we stand, divided we fall. It's the yen and I am the yang. All coins have two sides. I live as a conservative. My neighbor lives as a liberal. Either of us would watch the others property in the absence of one or the other. That's the way it should be. That's what makes Americans the best people on the planet in my humble opinion. It really bothers me to see others not realizing this. But I'll survive because I AM AN AMERICAN!
    Sounds good to me....I apologize for getting a little upset when we first met....I was wrong.........I guess sometimes I am little over the top about my political beliefs but as you can tell I am very passionate about them....I l ove this country and sometimes am very disappointed to see the way it is going.....

I have know Missouri Mule for a couple of years and he is a good guy and very strong on his conservative beliefs.......We email each other all the time and I am trying to get him to return here.........
    Scummy, JP Sartre and I are trying to get him to come back......

Take care my friend...Keep fighting the good fight........

Michele Guest

Not old fashioned, polite.

Truthsayer,

I am a woman and a liberated one, I like to think. If someone is going through a door and they hold it for me, I think that is polite and it could and should be either a man or a woman. If I'm there first, I'll get the door and vice verse.

Is there much hand-to-hand combat anymore? If so, I can think of many women who could handle it. Women trained in the martial arts can do amazing things. Women can shoot as well as anyone also.

Even if we only allow them in support services, I think the recent Middle East conflicts have shown that they have to be able to protect themselves and their units as well. I would rather they got the training and not need it than not get the training.

So I vote a big "yes" for being polite and for training women to be self-sufficient and dependent on no one but delighted to accept kindness and civility.

Women have served gallantly in Iraq......I don't think anyone is denying that and if a woman can pass the same physical requirements that a man has to pass then I don't have a problem with the serving in combat.....My problem is with the women who can't do that......

I know I'm joining this thread late, but I have to say I just love the way this question has been framed - not as being about combat but about hand to hand combat. That emphasizes the physical differences in a way that can only hinder a reasoned debate about the real-world tradeoffs where the military is understaffed and being in combat most often means something other than feeling the skin on the other guy's throat. It's a typical attempt to ensure by methods other than reason that the conclusion reached is the one already mandated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurglitch
    Why discriminate on the basis of sex when you can discriminate perfectly fairly on the basis of qualification?
    Well said. Why indeed? I'd rather have a mentally stable black belt (in any martial art) who happens to be female next to me than a barely-trained male psychopath, but the current policy reverses that preference. It's not justifiable rationally, but only by appeal to latent sexism.