Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: late baby boomer

Exclamation late baby boomer

I was just wondering why we send billions of dollars over seas for disater relief and I have to worry about my social security benifits being there for me when I retire,isn't it all about if the money will be there?

Quote Originally Posted by diana
    I was just wondering why we send billions of dollars over seas for disater relief and I have to worry about my social security benifits being there for me when I retire,isn't it all about if the money will be there?
    Because they're suffering now and we can afford it since we're a rich country. Of course they don't have to worry about their SS benefits since they have none and with likely have to work until the day they die. Guess you won't be joining the Peace Corps.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Unhappy late baby boomer

Bravo:But it looks like I will have to work untill the day I die too.

Thats because you already spent your SS money. It was spent on part of a minuteman missile fighting an idiotic war of ideaologies. Your piece is in a scrap yard in nebraska. You can probably have it if you want it. It might make a good yard decoration...who knows?

Your husbands social security money was spent on fighting 14 minutes of the vietnam war.

Next time keep a closer eye on your politicians.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

as if Daewoo didn't kick you in the shins hard enough, here's another:

Even if we didn't give anything to anyone in the past 40 years, odds are with Medicare having trouble now, among other problems you wouldn't see it anyways.
    Some people love their country because of what it is, because of the principles it is built on, because of its prosperity and freedom. Then others love their country because it is their country, and will destroy all that is actually good about it to silence those who disagree. Which do you think you are? - Symbiote

Did you expect to live on SS alone? With or without SS you should save your own money for retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Duo_Maxwell
    Even if we didn't give anything to anyone in the past 40 years, odds are with Medicare having trouble now, among other problems you wouldn't see it anyways.
    There's still no accurate assessment of future costs for the Medicare prescription bill floated and passed by self-proclaimed conservatives in their last round of vote buying.

Americans like to whine but their apathy allows politicians rob them blind.
    These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ~Groucho Marx~

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin
    Did you expect to live on SS alone? With or without SS you should save your own money for retirement.
    That's not the point. SS is being collected from all workers with the promise that they'll receive benefits when they retire, period. If the government can't garantee your return payoff, they should quit collecting it and let workers invest that money for themselves. For anyone capping out on SS contributions, that's more than you're allowed to invest in an IRA.

Quote Originally Posted by jskufan
    That's not the point. SS is being collected from all workers with the promise that they'll receive benefits when they retire, period. If the government can't garantee your return payoff, they should quit collecting it and let workers invest that money for themselves. For anyone capping out on SS contributions, that's more than you're allowed to invest in an IRA.
    I thought the point was whether or not we should be providing disaster relief to other countries while SS may be insolvent. I think we should.

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin
    I thought the point was whether or not we should be providing disaster relief to other countries while SS may be insolvent. I think we should.
    Social Security benefit commitments, in my opinion, are a contractual obligation from our government in exchange for collecting a percentage of our income throughout our working life. They should be as safe and certain as an FSLIC bank account. Our government has first responsibility to serve it's own people and fulfill commitments to it's own citizens. If their is money left over, disperse it how the taxpayers wish. Charitable donations with tax money should be made when all the other bills are paid. Private donations, however, by individuals that are concerned, can be done anytime.

They should be as safe and certain as an FSLIC bank account.
    That's pretty funny if you meant that as a joke.

Be careful what you wish for!!
    Wasn't the FSLIC abolished?

Social Security benefit commitments, in my opinion, are a contractual obligation from our government in exchange for collecting a percentage of our income throughout our working life. They should be as safe and certain as an FSLIC bank account. Our government has first responsibility to serve it's own people and fulfill commitments to it's own citizens. If their is money left over, disperse it how the taxpayers wish. Charitable donations with tax money should be made when all the other bills are paid. Private donations, however, by individuals that are concerned, can be done anytime.

Bravo ! And after all the rest of the world is saved by us, I have just one question. In light of our declining REAL economy, who in the hades is going to bail us out , when our debts finally catch up with us ?

Considering the size of our annual deficits and accumulated national debt, that could be well into the next century if we started prudent fiscal policy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by greg 79 f150
    Bravo ! And after all the rest of the world is saved by us, I have just one question. In light of our declining REAL economy, who in the hades is going to bail us out , when our debts finally catch up with us ?
    I'd also be curious to hear that answer. 'Coalition of the willing' will not considered a valid answer.

On the SS issue, who's going to redeem that accumulated mass of treasury securities in the SS 'trust' to pay future benefits? We're currently having problems selling new issues just to keep our leaky boat afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by georged
    I'd also be curious to hear that answer. 'Coalition of the willing' will not considered a valid answer.

On the SS issue, who's going to redeem that accumulated mass of treasury securities in the SS 'trust' to pay future benefits? We're currently having problems selling new issues just to keep our leaky boat afloat.

Now you are just being irrational, George. The rest of the world is going to bail us out for reasons that are both obvious and somehow inexplicable.

Then we are all going to join hands and sing "It's a small world after all"
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams