Thread: Education for Parenting

Education for Parenting

Our society puts children in school at age 4 or 5, to start educating them to become productive citizens as adults. Yet, the same adults enter society as married couples, and have children, without formal training on how to raise them, to become productive and well rounded citizens. I have heard several parents say to there acting out child , " I wish you had come with a instruction manual " !

The problem is, who would write the book?

We can look at government programs (group homes, orphanages, wtc,,,) and immediatly see that any govenrment involvement at all is foolish, unless you want to raise psychopaths and criminals.

I know quite a few college professors, and most of them I would not take dog training advice from, much less advice on how to raise my children.

For a while, I rememebr Dr Spock was a very popular "how to raise your kids" guru, until his son committed suicide, which really hurt the old docs book sales.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by daewoo
    For a while, I rememebr Dr Spock was a very popular "how to raise your kids" guru, until his son committed suicide, which really hurt the old docs book sales.
    Dr. Spock is soooooo outdated! I threw that book out a long time ago..
    Arlene Eisenberg (sp?) has come out with some great books and IMO are very well written..
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance
    "The man who alters his way of thinking to suit others is a fool."
    (Donatien Alphonse François comte de Sade)
    Marquis de SADE

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia
    Dr. Spock is soooooo outdated! I threw that book out a long time ago..
    Arlene Eisenberg (sp?) has come out with some great books and IMO are very well written..
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

So, how long will it be before you say "Arlene Eisenberg is soooooo outdated! I threw that book out a long time ago"?

The problme is that no two children are alike. In fact, it think it would be more realistic to say "No two children are alike". As an example, I have a nephew who is a psychotic little ****. You spank him, stick him in time out, and he doesn't respond at all. My daughter , on the other hand, who is the same age, bursts into tears if I say her name sternaly and point at her. You cannot dicipline the two the same.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by daewoo
    So, how long will it be before you say "Arlene Eisenberg is soooooo outdated! I threw that book out a long time ago"?

The problem is that no two children are alike. In fact, it think it would be more realistic to say "No two children are alike". As an example, I have a nephew who is a psychotic little ****. You spank him, stick him in time out, and he doesn't respond at all. My daughter , on the other hand, who is the same age, bursts into tears if I say her name sternaly and point at her. You cannot dicipline the two the same.
    Your right about every kid being different, both my boys are totally different.
    Her books give you the basics.. besides no child is a textbook child.
    Dr. Spock has some wacky stuff..
    The "what to expect" books are well written and provide a basic outline on child development and the things that may or may not happen at the outlined age...
    "The man who alters his way of thinking to suit others is a fool."
    (Donatien Alphonse François comte de Sade)
    Marquis de SADE