Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Racist Jokes

Quote Originally Posted by peteratwar View Post
    One of the problems here in the UK is we have a group of 'critics' who rush round claiming that this or that ethnic group might be hurt/upset. ASk any member of the said ethnic group and they have no problem and can appreciate the joke.

Similar in problem is certain Local Governments wish to rename Christmas as e.g. Festival of Light because it MIGHT offend one ethnic group or another. The fact that their action offends the biggest majority group in the area doesn't seem to enter their minds or if it does, it is disregarded! Again not a single non-christian group has expressed any concern whatsoever.
    Same here in the US, we have Jesse Jackson and the gang for Blacks, ACLU for the mere mention of God, and CAIR for the mention of Muslims. Oddly we don't have any groups I have ever seen for Asians, or American Indians (or Eastern Indians for that matter).

Sometimes a "joke" goes too far, but we don't need the marshalling of an army to march on the comedian's or entertainer's home, just mention it on the news, and if a few racists like him, let him move to Idaho.

It is always confusing to see how critical jokes about groups and races are seen in large parts of the anglo-saxon culture. Here in central Europe, things are taken a lot more lightly in this regard. Our comedians have a lot of freedom and many use it at even doubtful taste to achieve full effect among the audience.

One simply has to learn to ignore jokes you donīt like and laugh about those you enjoy by nature. Feeling too guilty to laugh only keeps you at bay from your very nature and thus makes you sick. Humor differs from person to person, you cannot prohibit another personīs humor.

If certain minorities feel discriminated on a regular basis, they should be indeed worried - for continued joking about certain groups has certainly a deeper root. But when they feel uncomfortable here, they are free to go someplace else.

OK First of all some of racist jokes are just down right mean and not funny at all, but to use the term unacceptable implies a right to not be offended. From all the liberal opinions I read I sure sensed a lot of intolerance. If you want to use the words acceptable and unacceptable then I think the real question is if any person or group has the right to not be offended. The answer is NO. You can walk away, you can change the channel, or form an anti group of your own, however any attempt to silence another or (ban an offensive word) is unconstitutional. It would surely violate someone else's right to free speech, weather their opinion is right or wrong ignorant or not. Think about the implications of everyone having the right to not be offended and practice some of the tolerance and acceptance that you liberals preach. I would rather not walk through life silent for fear of offending someone than have the right to not be offended, and if you were truly an American you would agree.
    WE THE PEOPLE......read it

The 'jokes' in the OP that had to do with the Holocaust or murdering black people are really unfunny. I'm not a person who is offended easily and I don't care if someone isn't PC all the time, but I would have a problem with someone telling those kinds of jokes...

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with the jokes about racial stereotypes. I think a lot of them are funny. If it's clearly a joke and not just a put-down to a group of people, I really don't think much of it. I think most people feel the same way, since just about any stand-up comic you listen to (especially the ones who are minorities themselves... (Recently, I have seen comedy specials on TV where Jews, Mexicans, Italians, Asians, blacks, Middle Easterners, and whites have all used stereotypes in their jokes. There was even a disabled guy with palsy making fun of himself).

The jokes aren't the problems; it's the hatred. If you believe that the person who is telling the jokes is actually racist and believes all the things they are saying, the humor goes away. The KKK isn't funny... Dave Chappelle as a blind, black, KKK member is.

Nobody has a right to not be offended by something that someone might say. Look wherever you want, no such right exists nor should it ever be allowed to exist. Such an idea is not only foolish it's dangerous. It violates the basic nature of freedom of speech and freedom of expression. Somebody takes offense because I wish them a Merry Christmas when they don't celebrate Christmas, then that's just too damn bad. Suck it up and move on.

All these fools advocating for neutrality and non-offensives practices, where are the advocates for when the jokes are made to white people? Surely if every other group has a right to be offended by stereotypes then white people have the same right, otherwise you're advocating discrimination and inequality. A true double standard of practice.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

[QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

Quote Originally Posted by NATO 556 View Post
    Nobody has a right to not be offended by something that someone might say. Look wherever you want, no such right exists nor should it ever be allowed to exist. Such an idea is not only foolish it's dangerous. It violates the basic nature of freedom of speech and freedom of expression. Somebody takes offense because I wish them a Merry Christmas when they don't celebrate Christmas, then that's just too damn bad. Suck it up and move on.
    This I could not agree with more. Seriously. BRAVO!

Quote Originally Posted by NATO 556 View Post
    All these fools advocating for neutrality and non-offensives practices, where are the advocates for when the jokes are made to white people? Surely if every other group has a right to be offended by stereotypes then white people have the same right, otherwise you're advocating discrimination and inequality. A true double standard of practice.
    This sounds a like a "poor little white man" whine. Pa-lease and yawn.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

Racist jokes are not cool. None of them are appropriate. I think if the situation what reversed you would not like it.