Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Racist Jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes99 View Post
    Agreed. The sensitivity seems to be more than a little one-sided these days.
    To me, civil rights issues are sort of like a pendulum being cut loose. It's going to swing back and forth in either direction a while before settling in the middle.

Well I am going to give 2 jokes because I want to:

Why can't Helen Keller drive?

Because she's a woman.

How did Helen Keller's parents punish her?

They rearranged the furniture.
    A rising tide lifts all boats. -Econmist adage

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -John Stuart Mill

What do u call a black man buried in the ground???

AFRO-TURF!!!!

That's funny. It's a play on words. Not a "racist joke".

I judge a joke not by it's political correctness, but by the content of it's humor.

But on to my real point: Take the first example given in this thread "What do you do when you see a black person hopping on one foot? Stop laughing and reload". This isn't making fun of black people (I refuse to use the term "african american" as it is definatly un-american), but instead it is making fun of society's view of black people as violent and dangerous, and that their misfortunes are funny. This joke and the majority of other racist jokes are satrical. You have to read into them to get the satire, but it is definatly there. It brings up points not commonly thought of. And for that, I believe that currently in America, racist jokes are the single biggest effort for racial equality.

Is the following joke appropriate? (the middle is slightly off probably):

A plane takes off, the pilot says it overweight and asks for volunteers to jump out, so and Englishman jumps out and yells "God save the Queen," captain says they're still overweight, so a Texan stands up, grabs two Mexicans, and yells "remember the Alamo" as he kicks them out.
    I don't think its racist, because then saying jokes about Brits in the Revolution by Americans would racist, but I was just wondering your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nate895 View Post
    I was just wondering your opinion.
    Why don't you go to Mexico City and try your material out at a club when they have open mic? I think you'll get an honest opinion from the audience. Or were you just asking other white people if they thought the joke racist?
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

JPSartre12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    Why don't you go to Mexico City and try your material out at a club when they have open mic? I think you'll get an honest opinion from the audience. Or were you just asking other white people if they thought the joke racist?
    IMO, I don't care if a joke's racist or not. If it's funny, I laugh. If it isn't I moan.
    I think that humor is one of those sacred areas in which EVERYTHING is fair game. Religion, race, sex, disabilities, politics, you name it. It's all fair game, IMO.
    If you don't like a comedian's humor, don't listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by JPSartre12 View Post
    IMO, I don't care if a joke's racist or not. If it's funny, I laugh. If it isn't I moan.
    I think that humor is one of those sacred areas in which EVERYTHING is fair game. Religion, race, sex, disabilities, politics, you name it. It's all fair game, IMO.
    Do you see any difference between a black comedian mocking stereotypical "white people speak" and a white comedian doing an imitation of some stereotypical black person's speech? Do you think Mexicans have "Alamo jokes"?
    Last edited by sinjin; 11-15-2007 at 05:27 PM.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Quote Originally Posted by JPSartre12 View Post
    Can't agree with your "all's fair in the joke department" philosophy. My ruler is that jokes should never be about something that someone cannot change. Disabilities are generally off limits to me. Race is generally off limits unless the entire audience (meaning everyone who will hear the joke or a report of the joke) is of one race. Making jokes about disabled, whether the disability is mental or physical is just outright tasteless, whether the text of the joke is funny or not.

Of course, if I thought everyone could be as insensitive as I, there'd be no objections from me regarding any joke whatsoever.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I consider intent. For example, I have heard jokes made about Mexicans by Mexicans, blacks and whites - and they were funny. I have also had jokes about Mexicans sent to me by a white supremist - they were not. I guess its a matter of why the target of the joke was selected. Did something strike the comic as funny in wacky activities of human-kind - or are they trying to be insulting.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by jitobear View Post
    I consider intent. For example, I have heard jokes made about Mexicans by Mexicans, blacks and whites - and they were funny. I have also had jokes about Mexicans sent to me by a white supremist - they were not. I guess its a matter of why the target of the joke was selected. Did something strike the comic as funny in wacky activities of human-kind - or are they trying to be insulting.
    Because a few people have mentioned it, I'd like to know where the white supremacist friends are from, I live in WA, the heart of Nazi country, and have found one weirdo in the town that's actually racist.

The joke just brings up a historical fact, plus I didn't know everyone on the forum was white. I think it's actually more offensive to Texans because it kind of makes fun of the fact that they don't forget things to easily.

JPSartre12 Guest
    Do you see any difference between a black comedian mocking stereotypical "white people speak" and a white comedian doing an imitation of some stereotypical black person's speech? Do you think Mexicans have "Alamo jokes"?
    I don't know if they do, but if they did and it was funny, I'd laugh unabashedly.

Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking View Post
    Can't agree with your "all's fair in the joke department" philosophy. My ruler is that jokes should never be about something that someone cannot change. Disabilities are generally off limits to me. Race is generally off limits unless the entire audience (meaning everyone who will hear the joke or a report of the joke) is of one race. Making jokes about disabled, whether the disability is mental or physical is just outright tasteless, whether the text of the joke is funny or not.

Of course, if I thought everyone could be as insensitive as I, there'd be no objections from me regarding any joke whatsoever.
    I judge humor on its funniness, not its political correctness.
    Quote Originally Posted by jitobear View Post
    See PC comment above.

I'l just add in this one.

In the Apartheid Southern Africa, a train derails. An investigation is conducted, and the conductor is interrogated.
    I: "So, what happened?"
    C: "Well, there was this black guy standing in the middle of the tracks..."
    I: "You fool! You should have simply run him over!"
    C: "I did, I did, but he ran off into the maize field..."

And yes, it's COUNTER-racist - itridicules the racists themselves...

peteratwar Guest
    Is it not curious that a person can tell a joke derogatory to his/her race yet if a person of another race tells exactly the same joke he/she is immediately branded as rascist ?