Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist Jokes

I would also like to add that I consider the following words offensive; Aardvark, Guatemala, communist, shoehorn, bakery, bikini, snowboard, glide, falafel, perspicacity and sitcom.

I demand you all cease using them immediately.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way whether directly or indirectly participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

~ Gandhi

You can`t demand anything. This is not your website. However, feel free to report me to the administrator any time I would (accidently?) write any of those words. You are also welcome to consider me an idiot or neo-nazi whenever you like (allthough I`m not sure if the forum rules allow you to express those thoughts based on me using the word aardwark though).
    Knowledge is power. Hide it well.

deathlord52 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OccamsRazor
    On bad taste alot of jokes crop up after disasters/accidents of various types, usually involving the deaths of a number of people. For example I remember this one following the Challenger disaster in 1986:

"What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts".

Which had true longevity when it became

"What does NASA stand for? Not Another Seven Astronauts!".

Following the loss of Columbia in 2003.

Is that tasteless humour, making fun of peoples deaths?
    In the case of jokes like this, they are the product of how different people deal w/loss. Some people are uncomfortable w/the morose aspect of death, so they make a joke of it. Does not make it for everyone, but does not mean the originator of said joke meant any real harm.

IMO, the best philosophy to take for comedy is the Fart Principle. A fart may offend, but that was not its original intent. It was for the release of pressure.

If a person is of one race, and the joke is about another race, and that person is offended, I think this is an example of the pussification of America (or the world?)

My greatgrandmother from Sicily was proud to be a "dego" and she'd always have a dego joke or ask if I wanted "dego cheese" on my spaghetti. My grandfather always told N-word jokes that he heard from his N-word friends.

But, then there are the "aggie" jokes. Whoever is offended by jokes involving school rivalries needs to be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Iuris
    And my favourite Yugoslav joke - covers them all. (Stereotypes to be understood: Bosnian-stupidity, Montenegran-lazy, Slovenian-should be obvious) "What does a Yugoslav woman have to do to prevent her husband from gettiing at the money?" "Bosnian: hide it in a book." "Montenegran: hide it under the shovel." "Slovenian: put it on the table and say "Take it if you dare"...")
    Hey, don't forget the pollack jokes!

On this hemisphere I guess the sterotypes would translate as:
    Bosnian-stupidity = Pollack (which just means "polish man", people)
    Montenegran-lazy = Mexican
    Slovenian-should be obvious = no, sorry, don't get it what are Slovenians wimps or something?

Captain America banned Guest
    Racist jokes are only racist if spoken by a white person. Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, etc...... they all get a free pass.

Let's see Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy try to get away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by joebrummer
    Not the same thing. These are jokes about cooking, ways of living, not about a person's heritage and make up.

These are jokes about where you are "from" as opposed to "who" you are.
    Ummm... I received this one a couple of days ago, and trashed it because I'm not comfortable sending it along. What do you think about it, Joe?
    ---------

Why Moses was chosen to receive the 10 Commandments:

God went to the Arabs and said,
    "I have Commandments for you that will make your lives better.
    The Arabs asked, "What are Commandments?"
    And the Lord said, "They are rules for living."
    "Can you give us an example?"
    "Thou shall not kill."
    "Not kill? We're not interested."

So He went to the Blacks and said, "I have Commandments."
    The Blacks wanted an example, and the Lord said, "Honor thy Father and Mother."
    "Father? We don't know who our fathers are."

Then He went to the Mexicans and said, "I have Commandments."
    The Mexicans also wanted an example, and the Lord said, "Thou shall not steal."
    "Not steal? We're not interested."

Then He went to the French and said, "I have Commandments."
    The French too wanted an example and the Lord said, "Thou shall not commit adultery."
    "Not commit adultery? We're not interested."

Finally, He went to the Jews and said, "I have Commandments."
    "Commandments?" They said, "How much are they?"
    "They're free."
    "We'll take 10."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America
    Racist jokes are only racist if spoken by a white person. Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, etc...... they all get a free pass.

Let's see Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy try to get away with that.
    Agreed. The sensitivity seems to be more than a little one-sided these days.

It's an old one. The oldest version I know is Germans objecting to "shalt not kill", French objecting to "covet thy neighbour's wife" and Jewsgoing for a double deal (two stone tablets).

Jews and the whatever the local miserly people (usually Scots) are usually used on the receiving end.

Jews and the whatever the local miserly people (usually Scots) are usually used on the receiving end.

Not fair, when we are drunk we are most generous people on the Earth (Playing on another National Stereotype).
    Is there for honest Poverty
    That hings his head, and a' that;
    The coward-slave, we pass him by,
    We dare be poor for a 'that!
    For a ' that and a' that,
    Our toils obscure, and a 'that,
    The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
    The Man's the gowd for a 'that.

A Man's A Man for A' That - Rabbie Burns

Agreed. Back in the sixties I went to a lecture by Al Capp, who wrote the hillbilly cartoon strip L'il Abner. Someone in the audience asked what makes people laugh, and Capp gave an answer that I thought was pretty profound. In a nutshell, he replied that people laugh at someone else's pain or discomfort, that every joke has a butt, and the audience got very quiet as he spoke.

Jokes, like cartoon caricatures, emphasize the characteristics which make a person different from the local norm, and minimize or ignore the characteristics which meet the local norm. Good satire can rise to a high art form, as with Swift's Gulliver's Travels or Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel or Cervantes' Don Quixote, but it can also degenerate to the level of public restroom graffiti, and cover the whole spectrum from tasteful to tasteless in between.

The problem with Political Correctness is that it allows anyone to claim they are offended, and gives them the right to shut you up. That in itself is a stereotype that assumes any criticism, however light-hearted, is motivated by mean and base insensitivity on your part - but that stereotyping seems to escape the PC crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes99
    Ummm... I received this one a couple of days ago, and trashed it because I'm not comfortable sending it along. What do you think about it, Joe?
    ---------

Why Moses was chosen to receive the 10 Commandments:

God went to the Arabs and said,
    "I have Commandments for you that will make your lives better.
    The Arabs asked, "What are Commandments?"
    And the Lord said, "They are rules for living."
    "Can you give us an example?"
    "Thou shall not kill."
    "Not kill? We're not interested."

So He went to the Blacks and said, "I have Commandments."
    The Blacks wanted an example, and the Lord said, "Honor thy Father and Mother."
    "Father? We don't know who our fathers are."

Then He went to the Mexicans and said, "I have Commandments."
    The Mexicans also wanted an example, and the Lord said, "Thou shall not steal."
    "Not steal? We're not interested."

Then He went to the French and said, "I have Commandments."
    The French too wanted an example and the Lord said, "Thou shall not commit adultery."
    "Not commit adultery? We're not interested."

Finally, He went to the Jews and said, "I have Commandments."
    "Commandments?" They said, "How much are they?"
    "They're free."
    "We'll take 10."
    I thought this one was pretty funny actually

honestly, it just depends on person to person. Jokes aren't meant to offend normally but if they do offend someone then don't tell that person a racist joke anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve
    I thought this one was pretty funny actually

honestly, it just depends on person to person. Jokes aren't meant to offend normally but if they do offend someone then don't tell that person a racist joke anymore.
    Joking is just a way to say what you mean and get away with it!
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What do you call two funeral homes fighting over the same cadaver?

Stiff competition.
    Democrats campaigned on transparency. Yessireebob! They're transparent alright! People are seeing RIGHT THROUGH THEM!!

The Official Flag of the American Left
    http://www.worldclassflags.com/productimages/cf_ussr.gif

deathlord52 Guest
    What do you call a man w/no arms or legs, under a pile of leaves?

Russell

I managed to read the pollack jokes above, and I must say only about a half were actually funny. You need a defined, specialized stereotype to make a joke work. The jokes that simply went as a variation of "pollacks are **** - here's a different way to say it" simply don't cut it for me.

Joking is just a way to say what you mean and get away with it!
    I disagree here. I know Scottish jokes (or the local "highlander" variety), using the stereotypes, but whenever I met one, I never got the feeling they were miserly.
    My stereotypes apply to an abstract group of people, but there are no actual people in the group. There's the stereotypical miserly Scots, and there are people from Scotland who call themselves Scots, no relation.