Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist Jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Brian
    if you are a nazi you would truly hate me for the following reasons

1.i am a commie, your sworn enemy
    2.i am partially Roma(gypsy), though i'm norwegian-german-dutch-danish-HUMAN
    3.i had a great-grandpa who was a jew
    4.i actively promote anti racism-fascism-sexism
    5.i hate your fuhrer, hitler, a dead man, and mussolini(killed by my comrades, the Italian Communist Party)
    6.i am an atheist
    Except I don't think many of us on this posts are Nazis.....
    "You can see the stars and still not see the light"

I think with racist jokes it very much depends on the audience. I might tell 'racist jokes' but only if I was sure that no-one would be offended or think I was serious. I think part of the humour is deliberately in how shocking they are, though that isn't restricted to race:

'Mommy, mommy, I keep walking round in circles'

'Shut up, or I'll nail your other foot to the floor'

Not to mention all the dead baby jokes and so on.

I laughed at all three jokes.

It is not the target of the joke which makes it funny. It is the punch line. I could say:

"What do you do when you see a lawyer running through the woods missing an arm? Stop laughing and re-load."

Would that be innapropriate?

And who the hell decides what is appropriate any way? And appropriate for what? Obviously the jokes you tell at a bar on a friday night aren't the same jokes you tell your grandkids.
    It is not enough to know. One must apply.

It is not enough to Will. One must act.

- Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Obvious Child
    Not to mention all the dead baby jokes and so on.
    Ooh, I love dead baby jokes. I reckon they'd be a hit in the Abortion forum...
    It is not enough to know. One must apply.

It is not enough to Will. One must act.

- Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by AlokaParyetra
    Is there such thing as an acceptable racist joke? If so, how would you define it?

My friends and I were discussing racist jokes over lunch. Some are harmless fun, merely poking at the stereotypes American society emphasizes. But some, we came to realize, are just plain mean and downright horrible. Take, for example:

Acceptable or innapropriate?

Acceptable or innapropriate?

I would lable the above highly innapropriate. And then there are some I just don't get. Like this:

Huh? Is that supposed to be funny? I just don't get it.

So once again, is there such a thing as an appropriate harmless racist joke, and if so, how do you define it?
    Shades of racism! Telling a racist joke as an example of bad taste is just a way to get away with telling a racist joke. It's interesting that you put the jokes themselves in quotation blocks as if it's not really your doing. It's almost like posting a graphic partial birth abortion photo and captioning it with, "I think this is disgusting. What do you think?"

You'll be criticized less for it this way than you would be if you just told it straight out, but you're still showing signs of racism.

It's apparent, in the USA anyway, that racism and bigotry are somewhat dependent upon who is telling the joke. I've heard Jewish comedians tell derogatory jokes about Jews, Blacks tell derogatory jokes about Blacks...using the "n" word as they please, Hispanics do the same...etc ad infinitum and they're all considered funny by the audiences because these people seemingly have enough sense of humor to poke fun at their own kind.

However, the jokes are still racist even though the comedians seem more to be making fun of racism than actually attacking their own race.

Racist jokes are appropriately expected at KKK rallies, Militant Black Panther meetings, Nazi skinhead orgies and the like, but not in the general public.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You really don't get the last joke? The bowling ball is an black person egg. Because they come from eggs. You know...

Seriously, those jokes are great. I'd already heard the Jew one from a Jewish friend of mine. He told me tons of others, like this one: Why do Jews have such big noses? Because air is free. Get it? Haw!

I don't understand how racist jokes can be objectively offensive. I think they have to be offensive to specific people. Thus you cannot say "Don't tell that joke, it's offensive." You must say, "That joke offends me; don't tell it or similar jokes in my presence."

Well, where humor is concerned, I get a bit far from my usual positioning... I just love humour too much to limit it. Bad Iuris, Bad! But I can't help it. I do strictly differentiate between the "abstract" stereotypes and the actual people these stereotypes are associated with.

Some nice examples:

"Heil Hitler!" "Ich bin doch kein psychiater!"

"Very well, Mr. Khruschev, would you like to go to the communist heaven or the capitalist heaven?" "Communist heaven, of course!" "Very well, but you'll have to come to the capitalist heaven for meals, we don't cook for just two."

"All right Gypsie, if you really want to, you can join the communist party. However, you have to obey three rules. No womanizing, No stealing, and you have to be willing to Give your life for the party." "That king of life, I'm willing to give for the party..."

And my favourite Yugoslav joke - covers them all. (Stereotypes to be understood: Bosnian-stupidity, Montenegran-lazy, Slovenian-should be obvious)
    "What does a Yugoslav woman have to do to prevent her husband from gettiing at the money?" "Bosnian: hide it in a book." "Montenegran: hide it under the shovel." "Slovenian: put it on the table and say "Take it if you dare"...")

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Brian
    if you are a nazi you would truly hate me for the following reasons

1.i am a commie, your sworn enemy
    2.i am partially Roma(gypsy), though i'm norwegian-german-dutch-danish-HUMAN
    3.i had a great-grandpa who was a jew
    4.i actively promote anti racism-fascism-sexism
    5.i hate your fuhrer, hitler, a dead man, and mussolini(killed by my comrades, the Italian Communist Party)
    6.i am an atheist
    Oh so let's see, you are a pinko commie atheist

deathlord52 Guest
    As the comedian Carlos Mencia points out, the PC-culture in America is the antithesis of humor. Instead of trying to determine what is acceptable, just go with it and laugh if you find it funny.

Make fun of everything, and maybe SOMETHING will be funny again. This hypersensitivity to overblown racism is nothing more than outright censorship. And a waste of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by deathlord52
    As the comedian Carlos Mencia points out, the PC-culture in America is the antithesis of humor. Instead of trying to determine what is acceptable, just go with it and laugh if you find it funny.

Make fun of everything, and maybe SOMETHING will be funny again. This hypersensitivity to overblown racism is nothing more than outright censorship. And a waste of energy.
    Here, here
    Democrats campaigned on transparency. Yessireebob! They're transparent alright! People are seeing RIGHT THROUGH THEM!!

The Official Flag of the American Left
    http://www.worldclassflags.com/productimages/cf_ussr.gif

I'm sorry, inappropriate or not, I didn't find any of the original jokes all that funny. If there was an actual funny racist joke (no idea if one exists) I would have to see if I found it funny. Obviously it's usually intended just for laughs. It all depends on the stereotypes. Blonde jokes are funny because blondes are stereotyped as not the smartest people (although that's not true, everyone knows they are just jokes). The only stereotype entertained in the 3 given racist jokes is that blacks are meant to be shot and are inferior to whites. That doesn't make for a good joke. stupid people are funny. The three stooges are funny. But why is a punch line about how someone should be shot funny, acceptable or not. It just doesn't seem funny to me. Maybe it's just me.
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?" - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Adept
    I laughed at all three jokes.

It is not the target of the joke which makes it funny. It is the punch line. I could say:

"What do you do when you see a lawyer running through the woods missing an arm? Stop laughing and re-load."

Would that be innapropriate?
    So its funny whatever the subject of the joke is? If you think about it a bit more it is only funny because the listener in some way dislikes the subject of the joke. Now, many people have a loathing of lawyers, but for very different reasons than some people dislike black people.

The joke loses its humour if it becomes "What do you do when you see a person running through the woods missing an arm? Stop laughing and re-load."

So you really have to ask why you find it funny for subject X.

On bad taste alot of jokes crop up after disasters/accidents of various types, usually involving the deaths of a number of people. For example I remember this one following the Challenger disaster in 1986:

"What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts".

Which had true longevity when it became

"What does NASA stand for? Not Another Seven Astronauts!".

Following the loss of Columbia in 2003.

Is that tasteless humour, making fun of peoples deaths?
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."

-Douglas Adams

Yeah, we should jail or fine people with bad taste in jokes. Or maybe some executions are in order.

There is no objective standard for offensiveness to measure phrases or words by, and to be offended is not to be wronged.

This is entirely a matter of free speech, and it is sickening to see how many people will step out in opposition to it as soon as they can find a politically correct excuse.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way whether directly or indirectly participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

~ Gandhi

There is of course a difference between wanting to outlaw bad jokes and just finding the socially unacceptable. Or even applying nasty labels on people who make the bad joke.

Personaly, I think its all situational. Certain jokes at certain times would make me apply labels like "racist", "nazi" or just plain "idiot". In other situations (or the same joke being told by a different person) I would be fine with it. It`s all about freedom of speach and thought.
    Knowledge is power. Hide it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiote
    Yeah, we should jail or fine people with bad taste in jokes. Or maybe some executions are in order.

There is no objective standard for offensiveness to measure phrases or words by, and to be offended is not to be wronged.

This is entirely a matter of free speech, and it is sickening to see how many people will step out in opposition to it as soon as they can find a politically correct excuse.

Of course you can make jokes that offend people, but people won't find them funny, which is usually the point of a joke. You can make a racist speech as well, it's all free speech. But that doesn't mean the joke is funny or acceptable by the general public. You won't get arrested for it but people will either label you a racist or think you are a complete XXXXX.
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?" - Chris Rock