Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Children church

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    Children church

    Hi I am unable to sleep I have been threw a rough day today my uncle is a pastor and my aunt is my mother's sister I have been in church all my life and now I want my son to have the fun I did as a child I feel he is being robbed becuase of a situation in church

    There is a couple a former hooker and her husband a drug dealer who are in charge of the children's ministry and it does not bother anyone about thier background which is recent they are allowed to teach and I am not because I am not married I feel hurt and I feel like this is so unbelievable I do not know what to do

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    341
    You can't use a person's previous sin as a guide to what you will allow them to do in a church, because sin is sin no matter how you look at it and we are all guilty. The issue here is why a single parent is not allowed to teach. Did they say why a single parent is not qualified to teach. It's my feeling anyone who's a parent should be allowed to teach. A single parent is not amoral if they follow Christ. I would highly question the ethics of the church you attend.
    Last edited by HeavenBound; 02-08-2005 at 03:25 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166
    Seems this has more to do with religion than parenting.

    If you really want to be a sunday school teacher, find another church...one without a disdain for single parents.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    58

    Follow your gut

    Quote Originally Posted by silver
    Hi I am unable to sleep I have been threw a rough day today my uncle is a pastor and my aunt is my mother's sister I have been in church all my life and now I want my son to have the fun I did as a child I feel he is being robbed becuase of a situation in church

    There is a couple a former hooker and her husband a drug dealer who are in charge of the children's ministry and it does not bother anyone about thier background which is recent they are allowed to teach and I am not because I am not married I feel hurt and I feel like this is so unbelievable I do not know what to do
    To quote Monty Python "Run Away". If it feels wrong don't stay, don't apoligize, just leave and search until you find somthing that will make you and your kids happy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,418
    Or just go to Luckenbach, Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys...well, maybe not Waylon.

    Get out of religion and get back to your former love, which should be God...if I read your post right. Politics and religion are twins - these days.
    Ain't life funny...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    826
    Children have no place in the church. Period.
    It is not enough to know. One must apply.

    It is not enough to Will. One must act.

    - Bruce Lee

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    17
    A. In the Christian faith, when somebody is truly saved, their sins - before both God and man - are wiped away. For instance, Paul killed Christians before he was saved, and he later became God's #1 missionary. So, if the hooker/druggie couple are now true Christians, there's no problem with them running Sunday school.

    B. Based on that, you should be allowed to teach too. However, it also says in the Bible that teachers in church must have a perfect, upstanding marriage history. You and God may be tight with everything, but since you're a single mom now and not just in the past, that teacher rule does apply. So, if your church uses it against you, it would be Biblical. Unfair, but still from the Word of God. If you want to look for another church, go for it, but also remember that if you stay, God will use you in His own special way and you'll end up doing much more than a Sunday School teacher.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Adept
    Children have no place in the church. Period.
    Quite the contrary, the church is for children, and nobody else!

    What is each of us but a child of God?
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Native Texan currently residing in Wisconsin
    Posts
    867
    Oh great. Now the parents get to go upstairs to attend service while the kiddies downstairs being are supervised but a hooker and a drug dealer. Isn't THAT special?

    They say that a church is not a sanctuary for Saints but rather a hospital for sinners. Perhaps you would be better off taking your children to a hospital emergency room each Sunday and exposing them to the sickness that passes through there instead.

    At my church of recent past, they created a "prison ministry." Some members of the congregation, (specifically, lonely, single, middle aged women,) visited and "witnessed" to prisoners at the local county jail. In a matter of months, some of these women found themselves in personal relationships with these men. In time, these men started to appear in the congregation as they were paroled. Eventually some of these women married these guys. One particular man, I would observe "massaging" his step-daughters shoulder as the family would sit in service each Sunday. Maybe it was just my intrepretation, but I could swear this loser was "getting off" to rubbing that child's back. At the very least, it appeared unnatural. Many others noticed this as well. To make a long story short, many of these "reborn" convicts are back in prison today and most of these women are single again.

    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Simply repeating a few lines from Romans 10:9 does not change the spots on a leapord.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166
    Speaking of leopard spots, did you kow that a tiger actually has striped SKIN!
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    1,242
    The logical solution would seem to not take your children to church then...

    Why do they need to go to Church anyway? Surely it should be their choice, rather than you imprinting and your beliefs on them while they are young and incredibly susceptible to persuasion (bar when bed-time starts of course!).

    -Wez

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Wez
    The logical solution would seem to not take your children to church then...

    Why do they need to go to Church anyway? Surely it should be their choice, rather than you imprinting and your beliefs on them while they are young and incredibly susceptible to persuasion (bar when bed-time starts of course!).
    Oh sure, I can hear it now--"sure son, it's ok to steal and lie, as long as it's your choice." If parents want to take their kids to church, that's their business. They should simply be careful about what church to go to and what their kids are hearing. It's not that hard to do.
    “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” - Reagan

    "A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading."
    - C. S. Lewis

    "I suffer more harassment as a former homosexual than I ever did as an out and proud homosexual." - Greg Quinlan, PFOX

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoshu
    If parents want to take their kids to church, that's their business. They should simply be careful about what church to go to and what their kids are hearing. It's not that hard to do.
    Oh sure I can hear it now... "If parents want to sexually abuse their children, thats their business".



    In all seriousness, a choice of religion, IMHO, should be made as a fully aware adult, at the age of at least 18. Chilldren may be made aware of different religions from an early age, but should not be indoctrinated into any of them until they are old enough to make up their own minds.
    It is not enough to know. One must apply.

    It is not enough to Will. One must act.

    - Bruce Lee

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Adept
    In all seriousness, a choice of religion, IMHO, should be made as a fully aware adult, at the age of at least 18. Chilldren may be made aware of different religions from an early age, but should not be indoctrinated into any of them until they are old enough to make up their own minds.
    What you don't seem to understand is that when it comes to children in church, what you call "indoctrination" is mostly just do-good-unto others moral teaching. It's not like little kids are typically being taught seminary-level material . . .

    Have you ever heard a 'children's church' sermon? It's typically about helping others, or not lying, or learning to share. What the heck is wrong with that??? And a lot of children's programs in church are a.) educational (such as music and singing which helps train them musically) and b.) helpful to others in the community such as when they take food to shelters or go visit the elderly in nursing homes.

    You can't expect parents not to involve their kids in church. There are too many benefits.
    “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” - Reagan

    "A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading."
    - C. S. Lewis

    "I suffer more harassment as a former homosexual than I ever did as an out and proud homosexual." - Greg Quinlan, PFOX

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,418
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoshu
    What you don't seem to understand is that when it comes to children in church, what you call "indoctrination" is mostly just do-good-unto others moral teaching. It's not like little kids are typically being taught seminary-level material . . .

    Have you ever heard a 'children's church' sermon? It's typically about helping others, or not lying, or learning to share. What the heck is wrong with that??? And a lot of children's programs in church are a.) educational (such as music and singing which helps train them musically) and b.) helpful to others in the community such as when they take food to shelters or go visit the elderly in nursing homes.

    You can't expect parents not to involve their kids in church. There are too many benefits.
    ...and most school teachers will tell you that they deeply appreciate the fact the you have taken your children to church prior to sending them to school and that it's a great benefit to keep them going.
    Ain't life funny...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •