Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male Vanity exceeds Female Vanity

Male Vanity exceeds Female Vanity

Evolutionists and Creationists alike should agree that males are more vain than females in all species of animals. One has to look only at the birds to see it is so. It's flashy drakes and drab hens almost without exception.

Study also the four footed animals and you will see the same use of coloring and flashiness that differentiate the male and female of most all species. The males have the antlers, the tusks, the manes, the display methods.

It doesn't take much to extend this into the human animal. Our behavior throughout history (though it appears to be slowly giving way to some sense of equality) shows that woman have been considered the lesser for quite a long time. Males are just plain vain.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking
    Evolutionists and Creationists alike should agree that males are more vain than females in all species of animals. One has to look only at the birds to see it is so. Study also the four footed animals and you will see the same use of coloring and flashiness that differentiate the male and female of most all species. The males have the antlers, the tusks, the more brightly colored feathers, the display methods.

It doesn't take much to extend this into the human animal. Our behavior throughout history (though it appears to be slowly giving way to some sense of equality) shows that woman have been considered the lesser for quite a long time. Men are just plain vain.

I was under the impression the most creationist don't believe we are animals. Therfore what is "natural" in the animal world doesn't apply to humans....

On the flipside, me not being a creationist, I completely agree, I remeber reading a study some time back where the put a two way mirror in a shopping mall to see who would check themself out more, the women or men. The study conlcuded it was men. I forget by how much, or even where I read this study. Men are vain
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "It is never freedom of religion and freedom of speech when you use your religion as a guise to demean other people."

I have joined the world of blogging...at
    www.joebrummer.com

Evolutionists and Creationists alike should agree that males are more vain than females in all species of animals. One has to look only at the birds to see it is so. It's flashy drakes and drab hens almost without exception.

Study also the four footed animals and you will see the same use of coloring and flashiness that differentiate the male and female of most all species. The males have the antlers, the tusks, the manes, the display methods.

It doesn't take much to extend this into the human animal. Our behavior throughout history (though it appears to be slowly giving way to some sense of equality) shows that woman have been considered the lesser for quite a long time. Males are just plain vain.
    Do men preen more before a date than women? None that I know.

Do men fret more about their public appearance than women? None that I know.

Honestly, I don't see how your line of reasoning follows. How the heck does vanity equate to women being considered as lesser, either in the past or now? I don't see the connection.

In fact, the opposite is true IMHO.

Waxy

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy
    Neither have I even questioned how much time any of my friends spend in preening nor have I read any statistics. I think in the past they did probably as much or more. The powdered wigs and frilly clothes were not reserved for the court or just for women.

Same response applies. I would say some do, some don't. The use of facial makeup keeps a woman busier than a man in preparing to go out. The ease of "fixing" a man's hair today likely cuts down on the comparitive time spent by men and women preparing to go out. I say that men are just as much or more concerned about they way they look as women are.

Honestly, I don't see how your line of reasoning follows. How the heck does vanity equate to women being considered as lesser, either in the past or now? I don't see the connection.
    Men seem to think they are the only ones capable of running the country. (It was relatively recently that women were allowed to vote, smoke in public, wear pants to church, etc. There are cases where women can't even own a piece of land.)

Indian tribes were always headed by a male chief. African native tribes were always headed by a male figure. The American colonies had male governors appointed by the King. The higher a person was in society, the frillier the clothes got, both for men and women...to the point that Henry VIII dressed in what appears to me as feminine garb. The French were especially good at feminizing men's dress. In some of the early paintings, it's hard to tell if the subject is male or female, unless you spot a heavy moustache or unmistakable cleavage.

I contend that if men had recognized several hundred years ago that they are no better than women and that women should have more voice in the things of life, we'd all be better off now. It's male vanity that kept it from being so.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with Waxy. All the men that I know are real men and need no mirrors, make-up, flashy clothes, shoes, and such. And as far as trucks and guns and 4wheelers - they are far from pretty.

Ford trucks are not pretty - but manly.
    Dodges are ugly.
    Toyotas are for boys.
    Chevy’s – well, okay they are pretty.

Of course I fall inside the guidelines of what Joe called a creationist (I suppose...) and feel that man and animals might be similar, but are not the same - and that don't mean that we came from another planet. Humans are a very special creation - but that's for another forum.

So, Jim, you can't compare apples and oranges.

BTW, Jim, this reminds me of that thread about men wearing make-up. If you want to call me on that – okay – but that was for television…and that’s it. I mean it. Seriously…
    Ain't life funny...

Neither have I even questioned how much time any of my friends spend in preening nor have I read any statistics. I think in the past they did probably as much or more. The powdered wigs and frilly clothes were not reserved for the court or just for women.

Same response applies. I would say some do, some don't. The use of facial makeup keeps a woman busier than a man in preparing to go out. The ease of "fixing" a man's hair today likely cuts down on the comparitive time spent by men and women preparing to go out. I say that men are just as much or more concerned about they way they look as women are.
    I don't know about your circle of friends, but in mine, there's no comparison.

Women are more vain by a factor of 10 I'd say.

Men seem to think they are the only ones capable of running the country. (It was relatively recently that women were allowed to vote, smoke in public, wear pants to church, etc. There are cases where women can't even own a piece of land.)

Indian tribes were always headed by a male chief. African native tribes were always headed by a male figure. The American colonies had male governors appointed by the King. The higher a person was in society, the frillier the clothes got, both for men and women...to the point that Henry VIII dressed in what appears to me as feminine garb. The French were especially good at feminizing men's dress. In some of the early paintings, it's hard to tell if the subject is male or female, unless you spot a heavy moustache or unmistakable cleavage.

I contend that if men had recognized several hundred years ago that they are no better than women and that women should have more voice in the things of life, we'd all be better off now. It's male vanity that kept it from being so.
    I guess I still fail to see the connection - especially as it relates to physical vanity along the lines of those you presented earlier in the animal kingdom as an analogy.

Flamboyant dress of the royals aside, I don't see how male vanity has oppressed women or led to the position of males being what it was and is.

I guess it depends on one's definition of vanity.

Other than that, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Waxy

P.S. Many ancient and modern societies were matriarchal.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Orn
    Dodges are ugly.
    ...but powerful!

Of course I fall inside the guidelines of what Joe called a creationist (I suppose...) and feel that man and animals might be similar, but are not the same - and that don't mean that we came from another planet. Humans are a very special creation - but that's for another forum.
    I'm a creationist/evolutionist. I think God made everything in His own sweet time. We didn't come from the monkeys, but we fell out of the same tree.

BTW, Jim, this reminds me of that thread about men wearing make-up. If you want to call me on that – okay – but that was for television…and that’s it. I mean it. Seriously…
    Yes, I remember, and I agree. Johnny was just primping for the cameras.

I do believe though that historically men have been vain and will continue to be so. Your expression of machoism in the toughness of your truck is just another vanity. Vanity can be expressed by the pride one takes in the amount of mud hanging on the four wheeler after a spin in the backwoods.

Face it, BO. You're just a vain man, such as I am.

Our quest to have the biggest, baddest truck on the block is not much different from a woman wanting to be the belle of the ball.

And often men express their vanity in the "possession" of a trophy wife.

Your expression of machoism in the toughness of your truck is just another vanity. Vanity can be expressed by the pride one takes in the amount of mud hanging on the four wheeler after a spin in the backwoods.
    You might want to give us your definition of "Vanity", Jim.
    Face it, BO. You're just a vain man, such as I am.
    If I am, it don't show - OK?
    Our quest to have the biggest, baddest truck on the block is not much different from a woman wanting to be the belle of the ball.
    Again, vanity or the need for power to do the job. I take pride in my truck, maintain it, work it to the bone, but I don't showboat it. It's not that kind of truck. It's far from the "baddest".
    And often men express their vanity in the "possession" of a trophy wife.
    I could write a book about that one sentence.... Now, that's vanity.
    Ain't life funny...

Vanity isn't just about appearance and I TOTALLY think men are more vain. True, most do not primp as much as women (metrosexuals aside), but they make up for that by competitvely flaunting those big noisy toys, fancy electronics, scary weapons, taking stupid risks (extreme sports, driving like XXXXXX, etc), and bragging about the big game, the fish/deer they caught or the hot chic they nailed.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by jitobear
    ..but they make up for that by competitvely flaunting those big noisy toys
    I'm surprised at you, Jitobear. You know that's all part of the "man thang".
    fancy electronics
    You might be onto something there...
    scary weapons
    Are you being nasty....? What's so scary about knives and guns?
    taking stupid risks (extreme sports, driving like XXXXXX, etc),
    That's just being, well...stupid.
    and bragging about the big game, the fish/deer they caught
    P R I D E
    or the hot chic they nailed.
    Like, Jim, you nailed that one. I agree that that is vanity.
    Ain't life funny...

"It is never freedom of religion and freedom of speech when you use your religion as a guise to demean other people."

I have joined the world of blogging...at
    www.joebrummer.com

JPSartre12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy

In fact, the opposite is true IMHO.

Waxy
    I'm with you, Waxy. I have three kids of dating age. It takes my son 15 minutes to get ready (including a shower). My daughters take that long just deciding what outfit to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Orn
    You might want to give us your definition of "Vanity", Jim.
    Vanity and pride are closely related. Vanity relates more to comparison of one's self with others while pride can be directed toward one's self image without comparison to others. A cabinet maker can be proud of a particular creation in saying that he did a good job. When he compares it to other cabinet makers and says his is better, it becomes vanity.

The clearest definition of vanity is inflated pride in oneself or one's appearance (again that is relative to others).

Again, vanity or the need for power to do the job. I take pride in my truck, maintain it, work it to the bone, but I don't showboat it. It's not that kind of truck. It's far from the "baddest".

I could write a book about that one sentence.... Now, that's vanity.
    Not all truck owners are implicated in my example...but I'd say there is a lot of male vanity expressed in vehicles and other toys.

Last night at a rock show I realized the one solid peice proof that male vanity is worse than female vanity.

The plaster caster.

'nuff said!
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

Well now we're getting to the nub of it.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -