Thread: Potty Training

Potty Training

So my youngest son is almost 20 months. and I think we are close to breaking in the new mini toilet...
    Since my oldest son is 14 it has been a very long time since I had to potty train someone. I am curious who is going through this now, maybe soon or remembers anything..
    Any tips?
    He is talking very well and for the most part you can reason with him.
    "The man who alters his way of thinking to suit others is a fool."
    (Donatien Alphonse François comte de Sade)
    Marquis de SADE

my son will be 2 on the 16th (next week thursday! man!). he statred showing signs of interest in the potty, and he actually started using the toilet (the "big" one) for a few weeks. he has a little plastic stool that he moves positions himself, opens the toilet lid, pees and flushes. of course i have to fix his clothes back and wash his hands, but he is basically toilet capable (but still not toilet trained, which is due to my inconsistency)

basically, whether you train him on the small potty and then later introduce him to the bathroom, or you do the bathroom first, i think the most important thing is consistency. continually ask him if he wants to go. be there when he has to go, and explain as much as you can everything thats going on. be excited about his progress, and verbalize even when he does something wrong or has an accident. eventually, he'll pick up all the steps and he'll become more independent

of course, being a parent senior to me, i guess you know all this stuff already
    when man tried to understand nature, theism was born
    when man tried to understand God, atheism was born

Quote Originally Posted by unkerpaulie
    my son will be 2 on the 16th (next week thursday! man!). he statred showing signs of interest in the potty, and he actually started using the toilet (the "big" one) for a few weeks. he has a little plastic stool that he moves positions himself, opens the toilet lid, pees and flushes. of course i have to fix his clothes back and wash his hands, but he is basically toilet capable (but still not toilet trained, which is due to my inconsistency)

basically, whether you train him on the small potty and then later introduce him to the bathroom, or you do the bathroom first, i think the most important thing is consistency. continually ask him if he wants to go. be there when he has to go, and explain as much as you can everything thats going on. be excited about his progress, and verbalize even when he does something wrong or has an accident. eventually, he'll pick up all the steps and he'll become more independent

of course, being a parent senior to me, i guess you know all this stuff already
    It's been awhile for this stuff though.. you forget all the minor stuff pretty fast But pretty much everything you said seems like thats what I did with the older one. We just thought that since he now knows when he is "stinky" and will walk to the changing table grab a diaper and climb up, he is ready for the toilet....I laughed so hard when he did this the first time.
    My bday is also on the 16th Good day to be born!
    "The man who alters his way of thinking to suit others is a fool."
    (Donatien Alphonse François comte de Sade)
    Marquis de SADE

the only thing i remember off the top of my head is that my son loved the tiolet targets we got him. they float in the tioled, and come appart with "water" pressure.
    I ONLY APPOLIGE FOR MY SPELLING!

federal code defining the militia, look it up for your self.
    Title 10, Subtitle A, Part I, chapter 13, Sec. 311.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” — Theodore Roosevelt.

I've been through three and have been very successful...they all learned very early. One key someone mentioned earlier was always asking them...that's a must. Another thing is never use pull-ups, I think it confuses them and if they make a mistake they feel comfortable having done it. Let them make their mistakes in regular underwear so they know how uncomfortable it is when they do it, then they'll be less likely to keep making the mistake...works like a charm!!!

I have found that the biggest no-no is trying to push before the kid is ready. It takes about twice as long. There is a difference between the child knowing they just made a mess, and the child knowing they are going ot make a mess and being able to hold it long enough to do something about it.

If he/she is not waking up dry consistently, they are not ready. they simply lack the bladder/bowel control to pull off an effective potty training program. By trying to push them, it sets them up for failure.

That is my best advice. Let them decide when it is time.

Other best advice:

Don't believe them when they say "I will wipe myself". You will end up diggin an entire roll of toilet paper out of the toilet with a coat hanger.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by daewoo
    I have found that the biggest no-no is trying to push before the kid is ready. It takes about twice as long. There is a difference between the child knowing they just made a mess, and the child knowing they are going ot make a mess and being able to hold it long enough to do something about it.

If he/she is not waking up dry consistently, they are not ready. they simply lack the bladder/bowel control to pull off an effective potty training program. By trying to push them, it sets them up for failure.

That is my best advice. Let them decide when it is time.

Other best advice:

Don't believe them when they say "I will wipe myself". You will end up diggin an entire roll of toilet paper out of the toilet with a coat hanger.
    lol, true. and just as important is taking advantage of the opportunity when they ARE ready. once toddler boys understand what toilets are good for (besides splashing/seeing if your watch/jewelry can float) they will be willing to try it themselves. but as the parent you have to vigilantly encourage them, during the day, of course. after a few weeks of asking him if he wants to go. you'll find he volunteers to let you know, then becomes more independent (thats what they do best at that age). even if the night wetting takes longer to correct (sometimes years), it will be a great accomplishment for him to become aware of when he needs to go in the bathroom himself. and you should make sure he sees it as an accomplishment. of course, you cant force him, but he'll be much more willing to work through it if he doesnt think its a job
    when man tried to understand nature, theism was born
    when man tried to understand God, atheism was born