Thread: Scientology

Question Scientology

Firstly, I would like to point out that I do not know anything about this subject. All I know is that here in the UK some say it is bad and dangerous and some say it's great. Due to my lack of knowledge I would not participate in this debate but I'm curious as to what your views are. I know that this is probably not the way to start a debate but I thought I would try. Hopefully I will get an education out of this, then form an opinion and then join in.

Is scientology good or bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    A smile is a curve that sets everything straight - Author unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life n when it comes, hold your head high, look at it squarely in the eye and say.. I will be bigger than you.. you cannot defeat me - Author unknown

: Don't go to bed mad...STAY UP AND FIGHT! - Author unknown

STAMFIELD

I wouldn't mind getting the Cliff's notes on Scientology either. Seems like a celebrity club (cult?) without much substance.

Waxy

Scientology bills itself as a self-improvement movement, but is vague about exactly how this self-improvement is accomplished.

At the highest levels of Scientology's teachings, you learn that you are possessed by the spirits of murdered space aliens who cause mental problems.

Maybe they could hook up with the Heaven's Gate people and get a group discount on the mother ship....
    "The man who alters his way of thinking to suit others is a fool."
    (Donatien Alphonse François comte de Sade)
    Marquis de SADE

Quote Originally Posted by STAMFIELD
    Firstly, I would like to point out that I do not know anything about this subject. All I know is that here in the UK some say it is bad and dangerous and some say it's great. Due to my lack of knowledge I would not participate in this debate but I'm curious as to what your views are. I know that this is probably not the way to start a debate but I thought I would try. Hopefully I will get an education out of this, then form an opinion and then join in.

Is scientology good or bad?
    I see it as odd, but not bad.

It is very, very, bad. The group brainwashs you (well, gets you and a partner to brainwash each other) into thinking you need and want extremely expensive courses you don't need. Children are not taught anything in schools run by them other than the meanings of words (and given impossible tasks like 'define "by" and use it in a sentace that explains its use') and encouraged to turn each other in- they have to write secret reports on each other detailing when others have failed or lasped in faith. Those people who have been drawn into the cult and are facing bancrupcy and can not afford the courses are offered jobs working for the cult, of course food and lodging is deducted from minimum wage pay and the intrest on the debt for the courses contimnually added. The Cult has attacked the FBI to try to destroy documents detailing illegal goings on by the cult (which denied it, despite being eld by most of the senior ranking ones including Hubbard's wife), it also despises 'Psychs', anyone in pyschology and pyschiatry as being actual servants of the devil (or Xenu/Xemu they haven't settled on a specific one but deny it even when shown actual evidence of both names being used). Despite this Ron Hubbard died under their care after he went mad after too much LSD and other drugs (used to treat cult members who had gone mad or broken down during brainwashing). The cult has rules that allow it to do anything to anyone not in the cult and religiously persecutes and attacks (and encourages attacks) on those who have left or family members trying to rescue people from it. The courses don't actually have an end, you can never complete the full set as more are just added when enough people reach the levels. They took over an anti-cult helpline and used it to promote their own beliefs after finding that it gave help to people wanting to leave.

All this before we start getting to the bizarreness of the actual beliefs (not mentioned until quite high up in the courses- stuff like all pain is caused by a criminal survivor of an ancient apocalpse when a galactic federation nuked all its criminals in a Hawaiian volcano. These dead spirits are now masquerading as your liver) and the results of brainwashing (not seeing blatant errors when pointed out on a page in front of them)

Imagine 1984 as a religion. That is scientology

Scientology

You know, I was going to investigate this group on my own and maybe attend some of their functions however, I didn't have enough money to attend their courses. Suffice to say, if they are dangerous, us poor people are not in jepardy.

I'd take a look at http://www.xenu.net/
    And whom better to dispense such blatantly evident factoids but a self-appointed authority like myself?

http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Phunting

Quote Originally Posted by Phunting
    I'd take a look at http://www.xenu.net/
    I have a co-worker that really believes in that stuff. When she is telling me about it, it takes a great deal of restraint to not laugh or comment.
    I try to be understanding I really do, but some things are just too far out there even for me.
    "The man who alters his way of thinking to suit others is a fool."
    (Donatien Alphonse François comte de Sade)
    Marquis de SADE

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish
    It is very, very, bad. The group brainwashs you (well, gets you and a partner to brainwash each other) into thinking you need and want extremely expensive courses you don't need. Children are not taught anything in schools run by them other than the meanings of words (and given impossible tasks like 'define "by" and use it in a sentace that explains its use') and encouraged to turn each other in- they have to write secret reports on each other detailing when others have failed or lasped in faith. Those people who have been drawn into the cult and are facing bancrupcy and can not afford the courses are offered jobs working for the cult, of course food and lodging is deducted from minimum wage pay and the intrest on the debt for the courses contimnually added. The Cult has attacked the FBI to try to destroy documents detailing illegal goings on by the cult (which denied it, despite being eld by most of the senior ranking ones including Hubbard's wife), it also despises 'Psychs', anyone in pyschology and pyschiatry as being actual servants of the devil (or Xenu/Xemu they haven't settled on a specific one but deny it even when shown actual evidence of both names being used). Despite this Ron Hubbard died under their care after he went mad after too much LSD and other drugs (used to treat cult members who had gone mad or broken down during brainwashing). The cult has rules that allow it to do anything to anyone not in the cult and religiously persecutes and attacks (and encourages attacks) on those who have left or family members trying to rescue people from it. The courses don't actually have an end, you can never complete the full set as more are just added when enough people reach the levels. They took over an anti-cult helpline and used it to promote their own beliefs after finding that it gave help to people wanting to leave.

All this before we start getting to the bizarreness of the actual beliefs (not mentioned until quite high up in the courses- stuff like all pain is caused by a criminal survivor of an ancient apocalpse when a galactic federation nuked all its criminals in a Hawaiian volcano. These dead spirits are now masquerading as your liver) and the results of brainwashing (not seeing blatant errors when pointed out on a page in front of them)

Imagine 1984 as a religion. That is scientology
    http://www.ex-cult.org/General/totalism-group-dynamics

The link gives a pretty scary overview on behavior modification as is done in cults.
    My opinions may have changed but not the fact that I am right

-

I was under the impression it was L Ron Hubbard's great idea, basically he had an enormous ego and figured he'd create a religion (among other creations in different disciplines that he pursued) and make the bucks just like all the traditional religions. I suppose he succeeded. It's like a more "modern" religion.

Of course, like most churches, it tries to convince you that you need it, and that you need to pay to support it. That's not a bad thing, most businesses and churches all do this same thing.

Celebrities..man that's a ripe place for a church to mine. Many actors/acrtresses hit it big, but didn't need a lot of education nor good financial skills to get there (Nothing wrong with that!!). That makes them ripe for a sophisticated groups like scientology to step in and work their trade.

If you like the idea of paying for support (like a church), I wouldn't say it's dangerous, it's probably fun if you have a strong mind and do it just to experience it. Otherwise, why bother. I just read some of those links...brainwashing? Scary...but who really knows.

John Travolta, Tom Cruise...didn't seem to hurt them too much eh? WIth big names like that, it makes me wonder if those big names are actually stakeholders in the income generated from Scientology...

-Mach

Kind of started that way, but the 'The Admiral' started belieiving it all and ended up in psychiatric care, though this is denied by Scientologists.

It trys to convince people in a very different way, through actual brainwashing techniques (that have nothing to do with the religion, no actual conversions). It also sets itself up to oppose any who would try to assist a potential cultist get out of debt or the cult.
    Celebraties do also get better treatment and avoid some of the more extreme treatments as well. Depends which level they are.

A tongue in cheek and maybe even true look at scientology:

http://www.rotten.com/library/religion/scientology/
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."

-Douglas Adams

Not that I was interested in joining them, but I did read the two links. I'm not much surprised that science has nothing to do with it...and not at all surprised that many actors are into it...Hollywood has long been known to generate kooks. I suppose they are just a small portion of the total, but they are very publicized.

I have read L. Ron Hubbards book and, while interesting, not a lot different from other religious tomes. I seems to me that it is the nature of man to be clueless on how to direct his life, so he seeks out a religion to chart it for him.
    Dono