I wonder how many forums of this kind are still left in cyberspace, not many I guess, and active ones even less. This one is on its last throes and I wonder why the administrator keeps it open. I also wonder about the thousands of phony members created I presume by the administrator, to pretend there is life in here? Maybe. Occasionally one of us ‘oldies’ drops by write a line or two and disappears. There is no dialogue any more, just idle scribbling (such as the present) on a subway wall.

There are two essential collection of books IMHO, one of them The Bible (which is a collection of books) and the other the works of Shakespeare. I am not fond of poetry in general, and Shakespeare the poet is not for me. But his plays are another matter altogether. Take ‘The tragedy of King Lear’ for instance, there is wisdom in it (as in all of Shakespeare writings). Also there is a plenitude of wisdom in The Bible, but whereas in The Bible we benefit from the wisdom of several authors, there is only one Shakespeare talking through many characters such as the Earl of Gloucester in scene II of Act I of ‘King Lear’:

‘These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend no good to us. Though the wisdom of Nature can reason it thus and thus, yet Nature find itself scourged by the sequent effects. Love cools, friendship falls off, brothers divide. In cities mutinies, in countries discord, in palaces treason, and the bond cracked ‘twixt son and father. This villain of mine comes under the prediction, there's son against father; the King falls from bias of nature, there’s father against child. We have seen the best of our time, Machinations, hollowness, treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our graves ...’
Although Gloucester was referring to events and characters in the narrative of the play, his observations are also applicable to our times, truths such as these are eternal and global because human nature never changes. The medium is not the message.