A position obvious to many of us, new research shows that the Affordable Care Act, or ObamaCare, will not reduce healthcare costs and actually might cause them to go up.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...lth-costs.html

Quote Originally Posted by Article Quote
"I would view it as part of a broader set of evidence that covering people with health insurance doesn't save money," says Jonathan Gruber, a health economist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who has also studied Oregon's Medicaid expansion but is not affiliated with this study. "That was sometimes a misleading motivator for the Affordable Care Act. The law isn't designed to save money. It's designed to improve health, and that's going to cost money."
This should have been obvious but to many on this forum it is not. It also shows that the idea that Medicaid/care for all will reduce costs is equally bogus; assuming of course the fact that countries with universal health care have had their costs go up at an equal or faster rate than the US didn't convince you.

When I talk to smart, educated, well-read people about Obamacare, I generally hear three major points advanced in its favor: first, that it means that people with pre-existing conditions will finally be able to buy insurance for the first time; second, that it prevents young people from free-riding by going without insurance and then sticking the rest of us with the bill for uncompensated emergency room care; and third, that it will allow poor people to go to a regular doctor rather than relying on expensive, unnecessary ER visits. All three rely on a folk conception of how the health-care system works that isn’t quite right.
All true. The article goes on to explain why each one of these is either not solved by ACA or was never a massive problem to begin with.

Or look at uncompensated hospital care, another area where Obamacare was supposed to make a big difference. Like pre-existing conditions, uncompensated care is a real problem. But it too, is much smaller than people imagine. The American Hospital Association estimates that uncompensated care cost $41 billion in 2011. This in a nation that spends more than $2 trillion a year on health care. Reducing this cost would make hospitals happy, but it is not going to noticeably lower health-care costs, or transform American health care.
This is most telling in my opinion. That's roughly 2% of cost. Turns out this does not go away but the person paying for it changes.

In my opinion it's time to think outside the box on healthcare. Everyone is obsessed with either single-payer or pure free market. Single-payer doesn't seem to ever address the cost issue while pure free-market doesn't seem to address the pre-existing condition or uninsurable person issue. Time to regroup on healthcare.