Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No, white people, you canít say the N-word

No, white people, you canít say the N-word

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/30/no_w...ay_the_n_word/

".......So let’s settle this – considering the ubiquity of the word, the way it is so frequently used in popular music and on schoolyards, are there ever any occasions when it’s acceptable for a white person to use it? During a CNN discussion on the subject last summer, spurred by revelations of Paula Deen’s cheerfully nostalgic use of it, the consensus was a resounding no. But I would argue there are some exceptions. Just ask yourself a few questions first. Are you a journalist directly quoting another source, perhaps within a story about racism itself? Are you an actor, playing a vicious slave owner in a historical drama? Are you Louis C.K.? If the answer to any of these questions is “Ummm, no, I don’t think so,” stop yourself right there.

It doesn’t matter if Kanye gets to say it. It doesn’t matter if you claim you grew up in an era and an environment in which the word was commonly used. It doesn’t matter if you say you have a problem with conservative white males, or you just really love hip-hop, or – and this one’s the richest of all – that you’re talking about a particular kind of person who behaves in a certain way but surely not all persons of a certain color. Yeah, still no. Just a big, big, big no. What about if you put a letter A on it, instead of an “er”? Still no. There will always come a point in the Biggie lyrics where you are not permitted to rap along. And you can’t do blackface either, by the way.

It doesn’t matter that you grew up in the projects or you voted for Obama or you’re just doing a routine from “Blazing Saddles.” It’s a derogatory term that has been traditionally and is still frequently used by members of one race to insult and demean members of another race. The fact that it is now sometimes appropriated in different contexts does not change that, and it most especially doesn’t change it with regard to you as a white person applying it to black people. Are you bothered that this means African-Americans have cultural permission to do something that you can’t? You feel that’s unfair? Yes, let’s whine about unfairness; this will be fun. You talk about how you can’t say the N-word, and then I’ll point you to all of American history up to and including this very moment. You can’t use a single word? SO TOTALLY UNFAIR. Get over it. But if you need any further evidence that it’s not OK to say it, just look at the people who do: mor**s on Reddit and suspended schoolteachers.

Mary Elizabeth Williams is a staff writer for Salon and the author of "Gimme Shelter: My Three Years Searching for the American Dream." Follow her on Twitter: @embeedub. MEWilliams_writer.jpg

Oops. And the author is a white journalist for Salon. I guess she read the usual suspects.

According to a federal judge black people are not allowed to use the same word either. http://sandrarose.com/2013/09/federa...-in-workplace/

A federal judge has ruled that workplace use of the derogatory term Ďniggerí is illegal, even if uttered by black people.

Brandi Johnson, 38, was awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages in a lawsuit brought against STRIVE agency founder Rob Carmona (pictured above) for calling her the N-word during a taped ďfour-minute nigger tiradeĒ. Johnson said Carmona was angered over her inappropriate workplace attire and unprofessional behavior.

STRIVE prepares young black people with the tools necessary to enter the workforce. STRIVEís website notes that the agency has helped nearly 50,000 people find jobs.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

I'm OK with that as long as black people can't call me 'honkey' or 'white boy'.
    How to make yourself look a fool in one sentence....

(P.S. worshiping only has 1 p not 2.)
    --johnson--.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Who does that? I don't use racial pejoratives.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenamnes View Post
    According to a federal judge black people are not allowed to use the same word either. http://sandrarose.com/2013/09/federa...-in-workplace/
    Ever obtuse, right? Who was talking about legal or the workplace? And produce an account of a black person using the term in the workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    Ever obtuse, right? Who was talking about legal or the workplace? And produce an account of a black person using the term in the workplace.
    The provided link includes an account of a black person using the term in the workplace. That is what the lawsuit was about.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

I have a conundrum.

See, I'm black, but I'm half white too. Is there a certain white-to-black ratio that I need to be aware of before attempting to use the N-word?

Who does that? I don't use racial pejoratives.
    I've had both used against me.

--johnson--.

I've had both used against me.
    Well, don't bring that up to me....I'm not responsible for what someone said to you, as you are not responsible for what anyone has said to me. What is wrong with you???????????????????

The provided link includes an account of a black person using the term in the workplace. That is what the lawsuit was about.
    Non sequitur. We were talking about general usage...not an anecdote. Who gives a flying rats booty about that or any other frivolous lawsuit?

Non sequitur. We were talking about general usage...not an anecdote. Who gives a flying rats booty about that or any other frivolous lawsuit?
    The frivolous lawsuit as you refer to it dealt with one black person being emotionally disturbed by another black person using the term in question. That is far from being an anecdote.

This is appropriate. If black individuals do not wish to be referred to by a specific term then they should not use the same term when referring to each other as it conveys the sense of it being acceptable.

Well, don't bring that up to me....I'm not responsible for what someone said to you,...
    WTF! I didn't say that you were! I was just pointing out that it has to work both ways. What is wrong with you???????????????????

--johnson--.

WTF! I didn't say that you were! I was just pointing out that it has to work both ways. What is wrong with you???????????????????

This was your response to the OP:
    Originally Posted by Dani View Post

How obtuse was that response. It was a non sequitur, because where are any black people who would address you in such a manner? How retarded. You're ok with white people not being able to use the n-word, as "long as black people can't call you "honky" or "white boy".

You might as well have said, "the sky is blue". I'm sure everyone has had a racist encounter. It's ubiquitous. You are not unique, or impressive. And actually no one cares.
    Somewhere, someday, some white person will invariably use the n-word. Somewhere, someday some black person will call you "white boy" or honky. There may or may not be repercussions. You're a small fish, in a big pond. So am I.

Now, how about saying something of substance?

The frivolous lawsuit as you refer to it dealt with one black person being emotionally disturbed by another black person using the term in question. That is far from being an anecdote.

This is appropriate. If black individuals do not wish to be referred to by a specific term then they should not use the same term when referring to each other as it conveys the sense of it being acceptable.
    BS. Because you said so? LOL.
    No one gives a flying rats booty about an anecdotal lawsuit. Less, about a black person "suing" another black person using the word. There are people (a vast number) who find the word unacceptable. There are people who will not conform to any conventions. So what?
    Your analogy is senseless. Just because there are some black people who continue to use the word...doesn't lessen the word's distaste, or justify white people being able to use it. I'm all for white people using it, and in "public places", at the top of their lungs. LOL

This was your response to the OP:
    Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    You said... "Don't bring me into that. I'm not responsible for what someone said to you." I pointed out that I wasn't even suggesting that you were.

How obtuse was that response. It was a non sequitur, because where are any black people who would address you in such a manner?
    There are millions of them all over the world and I have had experience of many of them.

How retarded.
    Thanks.

You're ok with white people not being able to use the n-word, as "long as black people can't call you "honky" or "white boy".
    Yes...where do you see a problem with that?

Now, how about saying something of substance?
    You're an idiot...how that for quality substance?

--johnson--.