Poll: Do you think humanity will create AI by 2050?

Thread: The next epoch in the Universe's Evoultion

The next epoch in the Universe's Evoultion

After reading one of Ray Kurzweil's books a few years back "The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology", i have seen a number of lectures and scientists making predictions of possible theories of universal evolution across the universe. Now obviously Kurzweil's book is fiction but draws on thoughts from many theorists.

Many of these state that as Inorganic matter and certain conditions once gave rise to organic life, which multiplied and advanced in complexity until reaching intelligence and consciousness. So in turn will organic life then give rise to Artificial Intelligence and Silicon/Metallic/Alloy based life which will usher in the next epoch of evolution. Many state this as fantasy and hollywood and the film industry draw on many of the fears of these scenario's in everything from the Matrix/I robot/Terminator etc...

With an open mind i can see AI easily surpassing humanity and organic life as the dominant force on this planet should it be allowed to in coming centuries and millennium. Im curious for your responses, whether they be of a mutual relationship with AI or a more adversarial one its becoming more clear that although we have some way to go Artificial Intelligence isn't too far off....
    "Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed"

Quote Originally Posted by Hdreams View Post
    . So in turn will organic life then give rise to Artificial Intelligence and Silicon/Metallic/Alloy based life which will usher in the next epoch of evolution. Many state this as fantasy and hollywood and the film industry draw on many of the fears of these scenario's in everything from the Matrix/I robot/Terminator etc...
    Interesting perspective, considering that the rate of evolution has evolved to the rate which transcends evolution itself, thus giving rise to HIM

So in turn will organic life then give rise to Artificial Intelligence and Silicon/Metallic/Alloy based life which will usher in the next epoch of evolution.
    It's called artificial intelligence because it was created by man: if such intelligence evolves by itself, then it won't be artificial.

But as far as non-carbon-based life forms evolving - which is what I think you're getting at - then why not? It's life, Jim...
    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument."
    - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    It's called artificial intelligence because it was created by man: if such intelligence evolves by itself, then it won't be artificial.

But as far as non-carbon-based life forms evolving - which is what I think you're getting at - then why not? It's life, Jim...
    Im getting at a larger point... Life could be non-carbon based and still be biological... Scientists have theorized for the last 20 or so years the possibility of silicon based life of a biological nature.

What i mean by AI is not that man creates it (though in our case obviously we would), but that it is intelligence spawned through the advance of biological evolution. It requires Biological life to create it (At least that is our current understanding) in a similar way that a sword or axe can only exist once a form of biological life had discovered and created metallurgy.

i.e Abiogenesis- Life arising from organic compounds
    Evolution of biological life to complexity, consciousness and ultimately computerized technology. At which point the biological gives way to the computerized as it outstrips biological intelligence within the fundamental parameters of evolution.

Metalogenesis (I have coined a term here as i was unable to find a sufficient existing one) -AI arising to take precedence
    AI takes the main role in the flow of evolution, expanding its information, knowledge and ability to impact and understand the universe at an exponential rate.
    "Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed"

Im getting at a larger point... Life could be non-carbon based and still be biological... Scientists have theorized for the last 20 or so years the possibility of silicon based life of a biological nature.

What i mean by AI is not that man creates it (though in our case obviously we would), but that it is intelligence spawned through the advance of biological evolution. It requires Biological life to create it (At least that is our current understanding) in a similar way that a sword or axe can only exist once a form of biological life had discovered and created metallurgy.

i.e Abiogenesis- Life arising from organic compounds
    Evolution of biological life to complexity, consciousness and ultimately computerized technology. At which point the biological gives way to the computerized as it outstrips biological intelligence within the fundamental parameters of evolution.

Metalogenesis (I have coined a term here as i was unable to find a sufficient existing one) -AI arising to take precedence
    AI takes the main role in the flow of evolution, expanding its information, knowledge and ability to impact and understand the universe at an exponential rate.
    Metalogenesis, (the term you coined) isn't that like a little kid playing make believe? Wow, maybe a psychologist might help.

Making hardware capable of handling an AI brain is easy enough. The hard part is developing the coding of true thought. I think that the most likely road to true AI is developing a software which can reprogram or optimize itself based on a Darwinian law of fitness. Setting this up would not be too hard and in fact this approach has been used to some extent in experiments. Once you get it rolling, the iterations would be so fast, we would never even know how the software functions, only that it works better than anything we could ever design.

Now set this brain toward the goal of designing better and better hardware and you have something with unlimited potential. I think it's closer than anyone would guess. You would soon start seeing quantum or biological computing, or probably a combination thereof. The most important question is how you maintain control over such a system (being?).

I guess my point is that AI has a limited potential when we think of it as purely designed, especially if its designed by humans. If we think of it in evolutionary terms, the potential for AI, or evolved non-human intelligence, is astronomical. What's more, an iterative, selective process will ALWAYS have a higher potential in terms of intelligence or any measure of improvement than that of some intelligence attempting to design something better than itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Databed View Post
    Making hardware capable of handling an AI brain is easy enough. The hard part is developing the coding of true thought. I think that the most likely road to true AI is developing a software which can reprogram or optimize itself based on a Darwinian law of fitness. Setting this up would not be too hard and in fact this approach has been used to some extent in experiments. Once you get it rolling, the iterations would be so fast, we would never even know how the software functions, only that it works better than anything we could ever design.

Now set this brain toward the goal of designing better and better hardware and you have something with unlimited potential. I think it's closer than anyone would guess. You would soon start seeing quantum or biological computing, or probably a combination thereof. The most important question is how you maintain control over such a system (being?).

I guess my point is that AI has a limited potential when we think of it as purely designed, especially if its designed by humans. If we think of it in evolutionary terms, the potential for AI, or evolved non-human intelligence, is astronomical. What's more, an iterative, selective process will ALWAYS have a higher potential in terms of intelligence or any measure of improvement than that of some intelligence attempting to design something better than itself.

Would you imagine AI being in the realm of Quantum computing? I don't think we could achieve true AI through current computing methods and hardware... I see Quantum computing over the next 20 years as being the path to AI once we start to entangle QC( Quantum Computers) of more than 40 Quantum bits together...

Would you imagine AI being in the realm of Quantum computing? I don't think we could achieve true AI through current computing methods and hardware... I see Quantum computing over the next 20 years as being the path to AI once we start to entangle QC( Quantum Computers) of more than 40 Quantum bits together...
    Its hard to say how far quantum computing will go. I will say this - its a lot less scary than developing biological computing. We know the potential of biological computing. Just imagine creating a biological computer with say just 10 times the power of our own brains. 100 times? 1000? We are already growing organs - what's to stop us from growing brains with neural pathways connecting several together, providing input, or sensory systems, incorporating this into electro-mechanical systems, providing a method of expression, etc. Most of the steps have already been taken in some form or another. The only real thing left to do is figure out how to keep the neurons alive. Doesn't seem like too big a leap for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Databed View Post
    Its hard to say how far quantum computing will go. I will say this - its a lot less scary than developing biological computing. We know the potential of biological computing. Just imagine creating a biological computer with say just 10 times the power of our own brains. 100 times? 1000? We are already growing organs - what's to stop us from growing brains with neural pathways connecting several together, providing input, or sensory systems, incorporating this into electro-mechanical systems, providing a method of expression, etc. Most of the steps have already been taken in some form or another. The only real thing left to do is figure out how to keep the neurons alive. Doesn't seem like too big a leap for me.
    The book i mentioned in my initial post deal more with this area... The incorporation of AI and computing into the biological. More of a symbiosis of the two to take the next evolutionary step.

At this point in our technological evolution, we've accomplished so many 'impossible' things that I think we've no longer got the right to call ideas impossible.
    "Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowledge."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Quote Originally Posted by ANorveyanFellow View Post
    At this point in our technological evolution, we've accomplished so many 'impossible' things that I think we've no longer got the right to call ideas impossible.
    Luke 1:37

For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Carry on kiddo's