Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigfoot

1.) Bigfoot would not be the only apes in North America. I'm here.
    2.) there are no gorillas in asia, nor chimps.
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

Squatch is offline Finder of the MissingLink
    Until there is a body everything is circumstantial. What I'm suggesting is that the evidence is of such a volume over such a long period of time, certainly leans towards the existence of the animal.

We have another case of being unable to prove negative. Exceptional claims require exceptional evidence and for most people foorprints aren't exceptional. When someone shoot one, we'll have a specimen and it will be irrefutable.

We already have decent footage (Patterson Gimlin) and even that isn't enough for most. But maybe in our digital high definition age we can get some footage which can change a few minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    Until there is a body everything is circumstantial. What I'm suggesting is that the evidence is of such a volume over such a long period of time, certainly leans towards the existence of the animal.

We have another case of being unable to prove negative. Exceptional claims require exceptional evidence and for most people foorprints aren't exceptional. When someone shoot one, we'll have a specimen and it will be irrefutable.

We already have decent footage (Patterson Gimlin) and even that isn't enough for most. But maybe in our digital high definition age we can get some footage which can change a few minds.
    All evidence leans towards the existence of the animal. Nobody denies that if the creature existed sightings (including occasional footage) and footprints would result, the problem is that most scientist expect more; especially for a terrestrial animal on a populated continent.

There are other rare creatures that are exceptionally difficult to find, yet how ever hard it is to find them once they are found they can be tracked and found again.

As for shooting them, some have claimed to try; but most were unwilling either because they weren't armed or they were afraid of killing a person (or person-like animal).

I know it's a bit of a chicken out of the egg, most scientist don't take the possibility seriously and so no experts are trying to find or track them and so amateurs with crappy equipment and no plan for getting hard proof are the only ones looking. That doesn't change the fact that you can find bears and gorillas in zoos but not Sasquatches. If this creature exists it's a lot better at evading us than any other terrestrial animal by far, and people are rightly skeptical of how such a gap could exist.

What was it that first led you to become a Bigfoot believer?

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    What was it that first led you to become a Bigfoot believer?
    I became interested in the 80s while I was at school. I'm from the UK so I don't get to go out into the wilderness and always felt intrigued that the US could have such wide expanses of wilderness. I like to think of myself as a skeptic, I don't believe in anything paranormal nor do I adhere to any religion, but that picture from the Patterson Gimlin footage, frame 352, really captured my imagination. I was nothing but someone with a passing interest until the internet became what we know and love and I was given access to the world wide web.

I'm one of the armchair researchers mentioned in another thread. I find it heartening that most of the hoax videos that come about are often debunked by Bigfoot believers. The community is a hard nut to crack for anyone trying to perpetrate a hoax. There is a lot of disagreement within the bigfoot community, some believe that they are paranormal creatures with the ability to become invisible or slip between dimensions but I don't give that any creedence.

Although I said I'm skeptical about the paranormal, it was a healthy curiosity of the subject that got me where I am on my beliefs. Just because I think there are non paranormal explanations for these things, it didn't stop me from learning about the phenomena.

I became interested in the 80s while I was at school. I'm from the UK so I don't get to go out into the wilderness and always felt intrigued that the US could have such wide expanses of wilderness. I like to think of myself as a skeptic, I don't believe in anything paranormal nor do I adhere to any religion, but that picture from the Patterson Gimlin footage, frame 352, really captured my imagination. I was nothing but someone with a passing interest until the internet became what we know and love and I was given access to the world wide web.

I'm one of the armchair researchers mentioned in another thread. I find it heartening that most of the hoax videos that come about are often debunked by Bigfoot believers. The community is a hard nut to crack for anyone trying to perpetrate a hoax. There is a lot of disagreement within the bigfoot community, some believe that they are paranormal creatures with the ability to become invisible or slip between dimensions but I don't give that any creedence.

Although I said I'm skeptical about the paranormal, it was a healthy curiosity of the subject that got me where I am on my beliefs. Just because I think there are non paranormal explanations for these things, it didn't stop me from learning about the phenomena.
    Still wondering why there are no other ape or monkey species living in close proximity with Bigfoot.

How did the Bigfoot get here, maybe they crossed the Bearing Strate or something?

Don't run fools, stand there and die for science while you shield the camera with your bodies

No seriously, I know it is frightening but there aren't that many animals you're safer from by bolting off. Bear or great ape the advice is to calmly retreat without exposing your back.

Still wondering why there are no other ape or monkey species living in close proximity with Bigfoot.

How did the Bigfoot get here, maybe they crossed the Bearing Strate or something?
    Presumably the same way humans did, yes they think it is a cold weather animal. It's also possible they didn't have as big of fear of humans long ago before we had good weapons and tactics. This would also explain the lack of fossils (humans came here a long time ago, but not that long)

It's not like great apes are particularly diverse either, yes gorillas and chimps live on the same continent but within that continent they don't hang around the same areas; and orangutans are pretty much the only great ape left in Asia besides us. It is likely that as we took off as a species only those great apes which have different ecological niches survived, and if the other three known great apes are the only ones compared to all the fossil record shows that was quite a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Don't run fools, stand there and die for science while you shield the camera with your bodies

No seriously, I know it is frightening but there aren't that many animals you're safer from by bolting off. Bear or great ape the advice is to calmly retreat without exposing your back.

Presumably the same way humans did, yes they think it is a cold weather animal. It's also possible they didn't have as big of fear of humans long ago before we had good weapons and tactics. This would also explain the lack of fossils (humans came here a long time ago, but not that long)

It's not like great apes are particularly diverse either, yes gorillas and chimps live on the same continent but within that continent they don't hang around the same areas; and orangutans are pretty much the only great ape left in Asia besides us. It is likely that as we took off as a species only those great apes which have different ecological niches survived, and if the other three known great apes are the only ones compared to all the fossil record shows that was quite a few.
    That's a fine piece of conjecture but not where the problem is.

The problem is the evidence, all of it, fails under the scrutiny of critical thinking.

That's a fine piece of conjecture but not where the problem is.

The problem is the evidence, all of it, fails under the scrutiny of critical thinking.
    The failure to impress is not the failure to exist. There is nothing wrong with most of the evidence accepted by bigfoot researchers; it simply isn't conclusive.

The only evidence which would be considered conclusive to most scientists is a body or unmistakable body part, DNA evidence or maybe footage which is very clear and shows more than one animal taken at different times.

I myself am convinced by the evidence available today. When looking into the distribution data for footprints, it points to an unidentified animal. The patterson gimlin footage is also conclusive as far as I'm concerned. When you see the stabilised images and look at the lower leg as it plants into the ground, you see the muscle in the calf and thigh moving very naturally indeed. IMHO to hoax this could only be achieved by glueing fur to the suit wearer's legs. There are a number of videos on youtube which I hold to be real. The so called New York baby footage is really intriguing.

As for how they came to be in the United States, I'm guessing that they got there the same way we did, which is generally accepted to be across the Bering Strait when it was a land bridge. There are many monkey species in South America and Central America. They may have stayed where the jungle is. If Sasquatch is a cold weather species then it stands to reason that they would be the predominant species in North America if not the only species.

I remain steadfast that the possibility of Sasquatch being real is a very strong possibility and although I can't commit to saying yes there definitely is a North American ape I can say I'm around 90%.

The only evidence which would be considered conclusive to most scientists is a body or unmistakable body part, DNA evidence or maybe footage which is very clear and shows more than one animal taken at different times.

I myself am convinced by the evidence available today. When looking into the distribution data for footprints, it points to an unidentified animal. The patterson gimlin footage is also conclusive as far as I'm concerned. When you see the stabilised images and look at the lower leg as it plants into the ground, you see the muscle in the calf and thigh moving very naturally indeed. IMHO to hoax this could only be achieved by glueing fur to the suit wearer's legs. There are a number of videos on youtube which I hold to be real. The so called New York baby footage is really intriguing.

As for how they came to be in the United States, I'm guessing that they got there the same way we did, which is generally accepted to be across the Bering Strait when it was a land bridge. There are many monkey species in South America and Central America. They may have stayed where the jungle is. If Sasquatch is a cold weather species then it stands to reason that they would be the predominant species in North America if not the only species.

I remain steadfast that the possibility of Sasquatch being real is a very strong possibility and although I can't commit to saying yes there definitely is a North American ape I can say I'm around 90%.
    I bet there is more (and better) evidence that space aliens are abducting people.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    The failure to impress is not the failure to exist.
    Insightful characterization of yourself.

I bet there is more (and better) evidence that space aliens are abducting people.
    There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that you are a troll

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that you are a troll
    So what?