Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: The Body Count, Victims Of Lax Gun Laws

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497

    The Body Count, Victims Of Lax Gun Laws

    FREEMAN SPUR — A teenage girl died as a result of an accidental shooting Saturday in rural Franklin County, according to authorities.

    Preliminary investigation indicates the victim was accidentally shot by a family member; however, he said, the investigation does continue.
    Girl, 14, killed in accidental shooting

    A northern Alabama teen is fighting for his life after he was accidentally shot in the head with a handgun during a prank gone awry, police said.
    Alabama boy, 15, accidentally shot in head during prank - NY Daily News

    A gunman opened fire at a central Florida beauty salon Thursday, killing three women and wounding the manager, who had asked for a restraining order against him, police said. After the rampage, the gunman went to a friend's house and killed himself.
    Gunman Kills 3, Self in Florida Salon Shooting - ABC News

    A man in Winchester has been charged with first-degree murder, after allegedly killing someone over a woman.
    On Wednesday evening, police arrested Gregory Morris Booton. He's accused of shooting Jon Franklin Tucker multiple times, who later died from his injuries.
    Booton is a licensed gun holder and has a handgun carry permit.
    Winchester man charged with first degree murder - Local News - Nashville, TN | NBC News


    This thread is for remembering and honoring victims of lax gun laws.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,575
    As per your usual style Brady you have failed to show how any of these reported deaths are tied to a supposed laxness in firearm control laws. If any of the deaths are tied to a firearm that was illegally held by someone at the time that moves your argument even further from the realms of credibility as no law can regulate or hinder the illegal purchase and possession of property. The lack of prosecutions for those who illegally possess and use firearms reduces the credibility of your argument even moreso.

    The continued deployment of pre-Heller notions and mentalities is not a valid tactic Brady as the second amendment has received legal recognition of a true constitutional right. The supreme court has prohibited the notion of balancing the second amendment and firearms ownership against a judicial interest. This means that legal firearms ownership cannot legally be restricted simply because of the criminal and illegal use of firearms by individuals who are prohibited from owning them in the first place.

    If you continue with this thread it will as a result be subjected to a deluge of examples where innocent bystanders have been shot and killed by the police, statistics showing that the city of Chicago is responsible for the majority of all firearm-related homicides for the entire state of Illinois, mass killings and drive by shootings in the state of California, gangland executions of school children in the city of Chicago, and police officers deliberately selling firearms and illegal narcotics to convicted criminals. All to show that strict firearm control laws do nothing to save lives.
    Last edited by Xenamnes; 10-19-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497
    Cant you show some respect for the dead for once? Do you always gotta to be exploiting the tragedies of others for your own selfish political purposes?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Cant you show some respect for the dead for once? Do you always gotta to be exploiting the tragedies of others for your own selfish political purposes?
    It is not myself who is exploiting the dead and suffering for selfish political purposes. You cannot point to a single example where I have personally posted the headlines of someone's death in the wake of a mass tragedy and urged the enactment of new laws as a direct and immediate result.

    I do not subscribe to political ideologies or recognize party loyalties. I am neither liberal nor conservative in nature and will argue whatever position will possibly bring about discussion of the truth on the matter.

    If you claim a lack of firearm control laws in responsible for the deaths of certain individuals in certain states then it will be shown how states with strict firearm control laws experience a significant percentage of murder and other crimes. The city of Chicago is a fitting example.

    Chicago Crime Statistics: Illinois (IL) - CityRating.com

    As the figures show the state of Illinois experiences a higher than average rate of violent crime. However the city of Chicago is easily double the rate of the state of Illinois. Note the dates with the highest rates of murder correspond with the time period during which the city was enforcing a total ban on handgun ownership.

    The data is similar to what is reported for the District of Columbia. That meaning the district maintained a violent crime and murder rate that is triple the national average http://www.cityrating.com/crime-stat...l#.UIF0PobUZ-w
    Last edited by Xenamnes; 10-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Cant you show some respect for the dead for once? Do you always gotta to be exploiting the tragedies of others for your own selfish political purposes?
    All i see is Xenamnes calling you out that YOU are the one "exploiting the tragedies..." trying to connect 2 mostly unrelated subjects for your benefit and blaming "lax gun laws"
    "The eyes are useless when the mind is blind"
    -Unknown

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Cant you show some respect for the dead for once? Do you always gotta to be exploiting the tragedies of others for your own selfish political purposes?
    The irony of your statement is unreal. Do you seriously not see how much of a hypocrite you are?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,575
    As promised previously Brady you are being presented with articles of firearm-related homicides in the state of California to run counter to your argument.

    Dad, 4-year-old killed in Calif. shooting; 3 hurt - Yahoo! News

    INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) — A father and his 4-year-old son were killed and a woman and two other young children were wounded by a gunman wearing a painter's mask who set fire to their home near Los Angeles early Saturday, authorities said.
    Gunman kills 7, wounds 3 at California Christian college | Reuters

    A gunman opened fire at a private Christian college in California on Monday, killing at least seven people and wounding three others after telling former classmates to "get in line ... I'm going to kill you all."

    Witnesses said he entered a reception area of the college at mid-morning and opened fire before walking into one of two classes in session and spraying the room with bullets.
    Man dies from wounds suffered in Hollywood shooting spree - CNN.com

    Los Angeles (CNN) -- A man wounded Friday when a gunman opened fire at passing vehicles along a downtown street in Hollywood has died, a spokeswoman at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles said Monday.
    California workplace shooting: Third victim dies - latimes.com

    Authorities have confirmed that a third victim has died in the workplace shootings near Cupertino, Calif., that left seven others injured, including several in critical condition.

    Two people died at the scene and the third at the hospital, Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said at a noon news conference. The shootings took place at the Lehigh Southwest Cement Co.
    3 Dead, 1 Injured in Shooting at California Home | Fox News

    FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- A shooting inside a home Saturday left three people dead, including the suspected shooter, after what investigators believe was a dispute among roommates, a police spokesman said.
    Bad night for cyclist shootings in Southern California; cyclist killing driver gets 25 to life for murder « BikingInLA

    Two bike riders lost their lives to gunfire Thursday night. One in San Diego, and a second in Santa Ana six hours later.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44880955...alon-shooting/

    SEAL BEACH, Calif. — A gunman opened fire Wednesday in a busy Southern California hair salon, killing eight people and critically wounding another.
    Strict firearm control laws do not save lives anymore than lax firearm control laws lose lives.
    Last edited by Xenamnes; 10-20-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497
    Thus Florida’s total firearm mortality rate suddenly rose 20%. (1,824 died in 2005; 2,306 in 2009.)

    California, a Democratic state, stands in sharp contrast. Since 1989 California has passed over 40 gun laws. As they took effect, the state’s gun death rate plunged-by 48 percent since 1990. By 2009 California’s firearm mortality rate (8.1 per 100,000) was well below the rest of the nation’s (10.2).

    By 2009 Florida’s firearm mortality rate was 48% higher than California’s.
    The Other Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: Gun Policy-- Brady Campaign Blog

    Do I hear a gun nut saying oops?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Thus Florida’s total firearm mortality rate suddenly rose 20%. (1,824 died in 2005; 2,306 in 2009.)

    California, a Democratic state, stands in sharp contrast. Since 1989 California has passed over 40 gun laws. As they took effect, the state’s gun death rate plunged-by 48 percent since 1990. By 2009 California’s firearm mortality rate (8.1 per 100,000) was well below the rest of the nation’s (10.2).

    By 2009 Florida’s firearm mortality rate was 48% higher than California’s.
    The Other Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: Gun Policy-- Brady Campaign Blog

    Do I hear a gun nut saying oops?
    As per usual Brady you are incapable of citing an unbiased source for information regarding what you want to say. Your only sources are the Violence Policy Center and the Brady Campaign, both of which are known to engage in intellectual dishonesty for the explicit purpose of furthering their own political agendas. It is currently being questioned whether or not these organizations have violated their 501(c)3 status.

    As promised incidents of firearm-related killings occurring in the state of California have been presented and you have failed to refute them in an acceptable manner. You have even refused to address the fact that mass murders can occur in locations governed by strict firearm control laws. Your lack of ability however will change nothing. More will be presented for further review. After such pre-McDonald era incidents of murder-spree weekends and the execution-style murders of school children in the city of Chicago will be presented for discussion.

    For instance another story regarding incidents in the state of California. http://news.yahoo.com/dead-man-found...213804940.html

    The suspected shooter in question was wearing body armor at the time. It is safe to assume he felt concern over the possibility of being shot in retaliation for his actions despite the strict firearm control laws employed by the state.
    Last edited by Xenamnes; 10-21-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,575
    As promised another story of another shooting in the state of California presented for consideration and discussion.

    3 dead after 5 family members shot in California - Yahoo! News

    DOWNEY, Calif. (AP) — A gunman targeted a family-owned fire extinguisher business Wednesday, gunning down three people at the office and shooting two more at a family home nearby, police said.

    Three of the five victims died and the two survivors, including a 13-year-old boy, remained in critical condition, said Downey police Lt. Dean Milligan.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497
    SUNNYSIDE, Wash. --The 3-year-old Sunnyside boy who suffered a gun shot wound to the face Monday is still in critical condition in a Seattle hospital.

    It appears he found his father's hand gun inside the truck and accidentally shot himself, police said.
    Police: Toddler found father's gun in truck, accidentally shot himself | Local & Regional | KEPR CBS 19 - News, Weather and Sports - Pasco, WA

    State wildlife officials are teaming up with police to investigate the shooting of a costumed Pennsylvania girl who was mistaken for a skunk at a Halloween party.
    Matt Kramer of the Pennsylvania Game Commission is working with authorities to parse out the details of the Saturday evening shooting, which left the 9-year-old girl with a bullet wound in her shoulder, the Beaver County Times reported.
    Police consult state wildlife officials in shooting of girl, 9, who was mistaken for a skunk by gun-toting relativeX - NY Daily News

    WIXOM, Mich. – Michigan authorities say more than 20 random shootings mostly targeting passing cars have now been reported in a four-county region.
    Police: More than 20 shootings targeting motorists now being reported in southeast Mich. | Fox News

    This time it wasn't a church.

    But the result of Sunday's shooting rampage, at a prominent salon and spa in Brookfield, sounded all too familiar: Three people murdered, four others injured and a lone gunman dead by suicide.
    Gunman kills 3 women, wounds 4 others, then commits suicide at Azana Spa in Brookfield

    Fox News host Megyn Kelly sharply critiqued a Montana self-defense law that has been cited by the local prosecutor as the reason that Brice Harper will not face charges after fatally shooting Dan Fredenberg in Harper's garage on September 22. Fredenberg, who was unarmed, entered the garage to confront Harper who was having an affair with his wife.
    Even Fox News Is Outraged Over Montana's NRA-Backed Castle Doctrine Law | Blog | Media Matters for America

    COLLEGE PARK, Ga. — Police say one person was critically wounded when a gunman opened fire inside the chapel of a Georgia megachurch just south of Atlanta.
    Gunman wounds 1 person in chapel of Georgia megachurch - BostonHerald.com

    BELLEROSE TERRACE, N.Y. (AP) — A motorist fleeing a possible hit-and-run traffic accident fatally shot a Long Island police officer in broad daylight Tuesday near the Belmont racetrack and then apparently killed another driver not far away during a carjacking, authorities said.
    Nassau County, N.Y. Officer Killed in Queens - Officer.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497
    But mostly he points to the glut of illegal guns - and the lack of political will - as the biggest reason. While Ramsey doesn't support a total ban, he's for commonsense guidelines.

    "An AK-47 - that's a military weapon. Why do you need it in private hands?" Ramsey asks. "You ain't going to go hunting with it. There ain't going to be much left to eat if you unload an AK-47 on a rabbit."

    "If there was some new disease that took 9,000 lives every year, we'd do something about it."

    But because the "disease" afflicts African American males - who more often than not are victim and shooter - we respond with silence.
    Annette John-Hall: Phila. police commissioner's slow burn - Page 2 - Philly.com

    Thats disturbing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,575
    Forty six people were shot over the course of a single weekend in the city of Chicago despite it's strict regulations on the possession and use of firearms. Chicago Shootings: 9 Killed, At Least 37 Wounded In Weekend Gun Violence


    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    But mostly he points to the glut of illegal guns - and the lack of political will - as the biggest reason. While Ramsey doesn't support a total ban, he's for commonsense guidelines.

    "An AK-47 - that's a military weapon. Why do you need it in private hands?" Ramsey asks. "You ain't going to go hunting with it. There ain't going to be much left to eat if you unload an AK-47 on a rabbit."
    The Saiga series of rifles and shotguns is based on the AK-47 platform and is indeed used for hunting due to it's reliability and accuracy.

    Furthermore rabbits are not regularly hunted and shot with intermediate-to-large centerfire rifle rounds. The comparison is considerably flawed.

    "If there was some new disease that took 9,000 lives every year, we'd do something about it."
    Nothing is being done about the true diseases that claim thousands of lives every year. Colds, influenza, AIDS, bacterial infection and sexually transmitted diseases claim many lives but nothing can be done to prevent those lives from being lost.

    But because the "disease" afflicts African American males - who more often than not are victim and shooter - we respond with silence.
    Annette John-Hall: Phila. police commissioner's slow burn - Page 2 - Philly.com

    Thats disturbing.
    What is disturbing is your politicizing of the suffering of countless millions for the explicit purpose of furthering your own ideological beliefs. You do not care for what any of these individuals are going through so long as you can readily point to them as a scapegoat to justify your flawed political position.

    However your citation it worth notice of one particular point. It states the black individuals are more often than not the ones responsible for the killings compared to white individuals.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    497
    The deadly shooting of Jordan Davis, 17, by Michael Dunn, 45, at a Florida gas station last week in a dispute over loud music is unfortunately only one example of at least 29 incidents since May 2007 where victims under the age of 18 lost their lives in a non-self defense shooting as the result of a private citizen legally allowed to carry a concealed, loaded handgun in public.

    In total, since May 2007, at least 499 victims in 32 states have died in incidents not ruled self-defense involving private citizens legally allowed to carry concealed handguns, according to the November update of the Violence Policy Center's (VPC) Concealed Carry Killers online resource. At least 14 of the victims were law enforcement officers. Twenty-three of the incidents were mass shootings, resulting in the deaths of 103 victims.
    Josh Sugarmann: Florida Teen Jordan Davis One of at Least 32 Youth Killed by Concealed Carry Killers

    Another white gun nut shoots an unarmed black teen just like in the Travon Martin case. Another victim of the right to kill law in Florida.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Another white gun nut shoots an unarmed black teen just like in the Travon Martin case. Another victim of the right to kill law in Florida.
    As you have pointed out in your previous post Brady the majority of black homicide victims have died at the hands of other black individuals. That would mean white-on-black murders are more likely to be isolated in nature. And as has been covered George Zimmerman was not white but Peruvian hispanic and thus a minority just as Trayvon Martin was. The comparison is without relevance.

    And as has been promised there are more stories to present from locations such as the states of California, Illinois and New York.

    New York City logs murder-free Monday, police say - CNN.com

    he big news in the Big Apple this week may be what didn't happen.

    There was not a single reported slaying, stabbing, shooting or knifing in any of the five boroughs on Monday, according to the New York Police Department.

    "It is unusual in a city of 8 million people, but we never read that much into one day," said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne, who said it was the "first time in memory" that the city had had such a lull in violent crime.

    The violence-free stretch spanned 36 hours, starting Sunday evening when a man was shot in the head and lasted until Tuesday morning with another shooting, police said.
    A stretch of thirty six hours during which not a single murder occurred was apparently such a rare event in New York City that it was news worthy. In a city that is proud of having some of the strictest firearm control laws in the nation the longest time they have gone between shootings is a mere thirty six hours. Their embrace of that figure suggests homicide is far more frequent than they would wish to admit.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •