Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: Charity president: Paul Ryan "did nothing" at soup kitchen photo-op

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178

    Charity president: Paul Ryan "did nothing" at soup kitchen photo-op

    Charity president: Paul Ryan "did nothing" at soup kitchen photo-op - CBS News

    Charity president: Paul Ryan "did nothing" at soup kitchen photo-op

    The head of a charity in northeastern Ohio where Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan and his family were photographed cleaning dishes over the weekend said Monday that Ryan was not authorized to be on the premises and "did nothing" while there.
    "They showed up there and they did not have permission," he said. "They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors." Antag added that Ryan and his family "did nothing" while on the premises.

    "He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall," he said.
    When Ryan arrived on the site in the early afternoon, the kitchen was clean and the dining area was empty, according to a pool report. After his time in the kitchen Ryan spoke to homeless people outside the soup kitchen, but reporters were kept from monitoring the conversation.
    How in the world did Romney end up with this guy as his running mate? On the one hand you have Romney, who stopped in the middle of campaigning and sent the reporters and his aids away so he could help dig a tree stump out of a guys yard. The only reason we know about it is that the guy felt like people should know what kind of guy Romney is, so he later contacted the press and told them about it.

    On the other hand, you have this nitwit, who basically bulls his way into a soup kitchen so he can pose with some dishes he is pretending to wash for a photo op.

    I realize he needed somebody of low intelligence to appeal to the tea baggers, but COME ON.....
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Meh, it says more about Romney than it does about Ryan. Obama pulls this BS all the time and it is no shock Ryan does as well. On the other side, it shows Romney is not some heartless rich guy.

    Frankly, I'm not shocked; Mormons have a pretty strong record when it comes to helping folks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    Meh, it says more about Romney than it does about Ryan. Obama pulls this BS all the time and it is no shock Ryan does as well. On the other side, it shows Romney is not some heartless rich guy.

    Frankly, I'm not shocked; Mormons have a pretty strong record when it comes to helping folks.
    If you look into Romney, and go beyond the basic media coverage, that is the kind of thing he does. He has a long history of charitable work...real charitable work, not just writing tax deductible checks.

    Then you have Ryan. I dont know if you have ever watched him on CSPAN, but the guy really is an idiot. Half the time he does not actually understand what is going on. A while back I was watching and they had a guy from the CBO in there. One of the other representatives asked how they managed to underestimate the depth of the recession so badly. The guy was trying to explain that basically there were no models to work with when you are basically talking about an event that is so severe it has a significant impact on all parts of the economy and shuts down credit markets. Ryan kept interrupting the guy and trying to say something about using "a multiplier of 3". Nobody had a clue what he was talking about. Finally the CBO guy realizes that Ryan does not understand that they are talking about the depth of the recession, not the impact of the stimulus. He does that all the time...it is like he gets excited because he hears a word he knows. It is definitely a case where a little bit of knowledge is more dangerous than total ignorance.

    Romney, on the other hand, actually seems like a smart guy. He is a generous guy. You would not catch him bulling his way into a soup kitchen to pose for BS pictures where he pretends to wash dishes.

    I am still not going to show up to vote for the guy because I cannot reconcile his "I know this will destroy the economy" tax plan with the guy who helps strangers remove tree stumps, but only after making sure nobody will see him do it.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash, and Bob Hope.

    Now we have Obama, no cash, and no hope.
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    If you look into Romney, and go beyond the basic media coverage, that is the kind of thing he does. He has a long history of charitable work...real charitable work, not just writing tax deductible checks.

    Then you have Ryan. I dont know if you have ever watched him on CSPAN, but the guy really is an idiot. Half the time he does not actually understand what is going on. A while back I was watching and they had a guy from the CBO in there. One of the other representatives asked how they managed to underestimate the depth of the recession so badly. The guy was trying to explain that basically there were no models to work with when you are basically talking about an event that is so severe it has a significant impact on all parts of the economy and shuts down credit markets. Ryan kept interrupting the guy and trying to say something about using "a multiplier of 3". Nobody had a clue what he was talking about. Finally the CBO guy realizes that Ryan does not understand that they are talking about the depth of the recession, not the impact of the stimulus. He does that all the time...it is like he gets excited because he hears a word he knows. It is definitely a case where a little bit of knowledge is more dangerous than total ignorance.
    I've listened to him plenty of times. To me, he is one of those guys that gets you excited but disappoints in the end; let me explain. So Ryan gets up on the stage and says "Social Security, Defense, and Medicare take up almost 100% of our tax revenue. We can't continue down this path or we will reach financial ruin". So I hear that and I think to myself "yeah, this guy gets it!". Ryan continues, "and government regulation is placing too much burden on businesses and local governments causing them to spend more time complying than growing or helping citizens". And I'm thinking "wow, this guy is amazing...finally someone I can support". Ryan concludes, "therefore we should continue to have the federal government run medicare and social security but make it so it will collapse even faster while at the same time increasing our military budget. Finally, we should stop sending money to state and local governments but keep the regulation". <crowd cheers>. I'm left wondering what the hell just happened.

    Rand Paul didn't even vote for Ryan's budget. Rand Paul is the guy who has Ron Paul's views but likes the idea of getting along with people to get things done. Rand Paul is backing Romney. Rand Paul VOTED AGAINST the Ryan budget. In case some folks didn't get that; Rand Paul is voting for a guy who he knows has fairly terrible policies but for the sake of getting along he will still support him...however...it was going too far for Rand to vote for the Ryan budget. That's very telling to me.

    Romney, on the other hand, actually seems like a smart guy. He is a generous guy. You would not catch him bulling his way into a soup kitchen to pose for BS pictures where he pretends to wash dishes.

    I am still not going to show up to vote for the guy because I cannot reconcile his "I know this will destroy the economy" tax plan with the guy who helps strangers remove tree stumps, but only after making sure nobody will see him do it.
    Yeah, I don't get Romney. If he gets elected is he going to do a 180 on all of us?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    Yeah, I don't get Romney. If he gets elected is he going to do a 180 on all of us?
    A 180 from what direction? We need to see where he stops spinning to know where a 180 will point him in the first place.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    From an email I received today.

    Following attributed to one Dr. Jack Wheeler

    The O-man, Barack Hussein Obama, is an eloquently tailored empty suit. No resume, no accomplishments, no experience, no original ideas, no understanding of how the economy works, no understanding of how the world works, no balls, nothing but abstract, empty rhetoric devoid of real substance.

    He has no real identity. He is half-white, which he rejects. The rest of him is mostly Arab, which he hides but is disclosed by his non-African Arabic surname and his Arabic first and middle names as a way to triply proclaim his Arabic parentage to people in Kenya . Only a small part of him is African Black from his Luo grandmother, which he pretends he is exclusively.

    What he isn't, not a genetic drop of, is 'African-American,' the descendant of enslaved Africans brought to America chained in slave ships. He hasn't a single ancestor who was a slave. Instead, his Arab ancestors were slave owners. Slave-trading was the main Arab business in East Africa for centuries until the British ended it.

    Let that sink in: Obama is not the descendant of slaves, he is the descendant of slave owners. Thus he makes the perfect Liberal Messiah.

    It's something Hillary doesn't understand - how some complete neophyte came out of the blue and stole the Dem nomination from her. Obamamania is beyond politics and reason. It is a true religious cult, whose adherents reject Christianity yet still believe in Original Sin, transferring it from the evil of being human to the evil of being white.

    Thus Obama has become the white liberals' Christ, offering absolution from the Sin of Being White. There is no reason or logic behind it, no faults or flaws of his can diminish it, no arguments Hillary could make of any kind can be effective against it. The absurdity of Hypocrisy Clothed In Human Flesh being their Savior is all the more cause for liberals to worship him: Credo quia absurdum, I believe it because it is absurd.

    Thank heavens that the voting majority of Americans remain Christian and are in no desperate need of a phony savior.

    His candidacy is ridiculous and should not be taken seriously by any thinking American.
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    A 180 from what direction? We need to see where he stops spinning to know where a 180 will point him in the first place.
    That is kind of my problem with Romney. Generally you can kind of figure out a politicians views from the nuances in his speeches and by looking at the plans he lays out. Romney apparently is not willing to tell us what his plans are until after the election.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    That is kind of my problem with Romney. Generally you can kind of figure out a politicians views from the nuances in his speeches and by looking at the plans he lays out. Romney apparently is not willing to tell us what his plans are until after the election.
    Romney already laid out his 'Five Part Plan." Some specifics are awaiting discussions and negotiations with the new Congress.

    Where the Sam Hill is Obama's specifics? They haven't even passed a budget in the Senate in the last 3 years. Cretins. Obama needs a bus ticket home. He's incompetent and dangerous.
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
    Romney already laid out his 'Five Part Plan." Some specifics are awaiting discussions and negotiations with the new Congress.

    Where the Sam Hill is Obama's specifics? They haven't even passed a budget in the Senate in the last 3 years. Cretins. Obama needs a bus ticket home. He's incompetent and dangerous.
    Some specifics are awaiting discussion and negotiation with congress? ALL the specifics are awaiting discussion. In his entire plan the only specific action he lays out is immediate approval of the Keystone pipeline. Unfortunately he cannot actually DO that because the law requires a full environmental impact study be done before it can be approved. The president does not have the authority to over ride that. That is why the republicans imposing a 60 day timetable was such a farce. It was a move to appeal to people too stupid to understand that there was no possible way the project could be approved in 60 days, unless congress lifted the environmental assessment requirements.

    What he has put out is a list of goals, NOT a plan. The PLAN would be the actions he proposes in order to meet those goals.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    Some specifics are awaiting discussion and negotiation with congress? ALL the specifics are awaiting discussion. In his entire plan the only specific action he lays out is immediate approval of the Keystone pipeline. Unfortunately he cannot actually DO that because the law requires a full environmental impact study be done before it can be approved. The president does not have the authority to over ride that. That is why the republicans imposing a 60 day timetable was such a farce. It was a move to appeal to people too stupid to understand that there was no possible way the project could be approved in 60 days, unless congress lifted the environmental assessment requirements.

    What he has put out is a list of goals, NOT a plan. The PLAN would be the actions he proposes in order to meet those goals.
    I think Romney is smart for not giving specifics. This is exactly why Obama's plan is to say Romney has no specific plan. If you have a specific idea, people will attack it and make it sound horrible. Considering Easy represents the average voter it is no wonder a candidate would be a fool to do this.

    For example, we recently discussed ending the corporate income tax. This is probably a great idea. Imagine Romney proposing that. The 1% of critical thinkers in America will understand this idea and say "wow, great idea". The 40% of America that are republicans will say "Yeah, get rid of 'em taxes and A-rabs" so they will support it...given they don't understand it. The 40% of American that are democrats will say "it's a gift to the 1%!!! Corporate welfare!!!". Of course they'll be saying that as they shop at Wal-Mart and basically pay the tax as they check out. The remaining 19% are undecided voters which are the dumbest of the dumb. If you put the average undecided voter next to Easy you'd be happy that at least Easy is consistently wrong with his BS. The undecided voter will be scared of the idea because they don't understand how economics works. They will think it doesn't help them and vote for the democrat...no matter how Romney sells it. The end result is Romney doesn't win.

    So yeah, specifics are a great way to not get elected.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    The 1% of critical thinkers in America will understand this idea and say "wow, great idea".
    Aren't you so fortunate to be among that number

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    So yeah, specifics are a great way to not get elected.
    So basically you believe the population is too stupid for honest politicians to win?
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    I think Romney is smart for not giving specifics. This is exactly why Obama's plan is to say Romney has no specific plan. If you have a specific idea, people will attack it and make it sound horrible. Considering Easy represents the average voter it is no wonder a candidate would be a fool to do this.

    For example, we recently discussed ending the corporate income tax. This is probably a great idea. Imagine Romney proposing that. The 1% of critical thinkers in America will understand this idea and say "wow, great idea". The 40% of America that are republicans will say "Yeah, get rid of 'em taxes and A-rabs" so they will support it...given they don't understand it. The 40% of American that are democrats will say "it's a gift to the 1%!!! Corporate welfare!!!". Of course they'll be saying that as they shop at Wal-Mart and basically pay the tax as they check out. The remaining 19% are undecided voters which are the dumbest of the dumb. If you put the average undecided voter next to Easy you'd be happy that at least Easy is consistently wrong with his BS. The undecided voter will be scared of the idea because they don't understand how economics works. They will think it doesn't help them and vote for the democrat...no matter how Romney sells it. The end result is Romney doesn't win.

    So yeah, specifics are a great way to not get elected.
    I am still wondering if he is not releasing details because he needs to keep the tea baggers and nutters onboard through the election. That is the only way I can reconcile what we know about Romney with some of his positions.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    I am still wondering if he is not releasing details because he needs to keep the tea baggers and nutters onboard through the election. That is the only way I can reconcile what we know about Romney with some of his positions.
    IF Romney wins, it will be interesting to see what actually happens. It goes back to what we talked about earlier. We know Romney's ideas WILL fail if enacted (from what little we have) but we have no clue if he will even do them. With Obama, we know he will enact really bad policies but we have NO idea what those policies are.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    We know Romney's ideas WILL fail if enacted (from what little we have)
    How do you know that?
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •