Thread: Hard work, gumption, a bit of luck

Hard work, gumption, a bit of luck

That was the American Dream.

Before Ronald Wilson Reagan. Reagan started the destruction of the American Dream. Romney finished it in his candid statement to his compatriots this past May:
    Mitt Romney's historic gaffe caught on video – published, with great timing, by the left-leaning Mother Jones magazine – in which he said that his campaign was writing off 47% of American voters since they "depended on government" handouts, was committed in an equally significant manner, as he delivered the remarks to a closed group of potential major donors in Florida. GOP stalwart and Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan is calling for an intervention in the campaign, and even some fellow Republicans are scampering to distance themselves from the inflammatory remarks.

But I find the remarks fascinating and important to deconstruct because they affirm – as insider discourse captured for the public often can – the fact that a new kind of narrative for America has taken over from one of our oldest and most cherished national myths. What Romney's comments reveal is that the American Dream is dead, killed off by skepticism from the bottom up – by the 99% of lower-income and middle-class people who no longer believe in it – and by cynicism from the top down – by the 1%, top-earning people who don't believe in it.
    How the Mitt Romney video killed the American Dream | Naomi Wolf | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Naomi Wolf nails it in the Guardian.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Pray tell exactly what has current president Barack Obama done to reinvigorate the American Dream?
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

President Obama is the American dream.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    President Obama is the American dream.
    Perhaps you would care to elaborate on your statement and explain how Barack Obama's use of underhanded and questionable tactics and policies equate to the concept of the American Dream. Simply because he is of a mixed race heritage is not enough for him to qualify as being the supposed American Dream when so many other mixed race individuals are not even given consideration.

What does Barack Obama know of hard work and gumption? What part of the "American Dream" talks about redistribution of wealth and taking it from its rightful owners in order to give to people who do not bother to earn an actual income?
    Last edited by Xenamnes; 09-26-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

Obama is turning the American Dream into a nightmare.
    God Given Talent CD @ my site

This article looks like left wing boo hooing just as we have in the UK. Anyone knew and knows that rich people are corrupt...at least by the standards that they want the rest to believe they live.
    I read that when an American sees a man in an expensive car they think' I want one like that' whereas if a Brit sees a man in an expensive car they think' he shouldn't have that'. That was the American dream and that what gave Americans the edge, their can-do mindset.
    If you lose this mindset and believe the guff fed to you by the Guardian then welcome to 2nd class ladies and gentlemen