Poll: What are you afraid of?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 101 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1512

Thread: There is absolutely no convincing evidence of the Theory of Christianity

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66

    There is absolutely no convincing evidence of the Theory of Christianity

    The entire Christian belief system is based on misinterpretations of the Torah [so-called "Old Testament"] and pagan-Greek additions developed centuries after Jesus the rabbi was active, called the "New Testament." Jesus, in turn, was a Jew, practicing Judaism, a religion that was already 2,000 years old when he lived. Judaism was a modernization of primeval oral-mythical tradition dating from the dawn of humanity.

    People who claim "absolute certainty" in "The Bible," and who at the same time invent "questions" to supposedly refute observed scientific fact, are making fools of themselves.

    The terror of Evolution arises from the perceived threat to the authority of scripture, as if accepting the facts negated the Bible. If the people who claim "certainty" about the Bible were to carefully read it, they would see that the Bible itself describes the evolutionary process. The development of life from the sea progressing to homo sapiens is sketched out in Genesis, with an allegory of natural selection given in terms appropriate for the oral tradition it arose from.

    The fear that this knowledge undermines the Christian formula is beside the point. The Theory of Christianity is so flimsy it doesn't need evolution undo it - Christians do that well enough without help from Darwin.

    Humanity needs morality to "spiritualize" our animal nature - but that's not dependent on scripture, priests, or popes. Part of spiritual development is choosing to be moral - we see so many inconsistencies with morality in human behavior because we are still evolving.

    Desperate clinging to fairy tale religion is a symptom of humans who are at the lower end of the ladder. So is having strong opinions about things you don't understand, like the Torah. [Or as Christians call it - the "Old Testament," which is just an attempt to legitimize their "New" Testament, which is just an earlier version of the Book of Mormon, or Dianetics, the "scripture" of Scientology.]

    People who claim "absolute certainty" of anything, especially the Bible, should hit the books and learn some history before pretending to be authorities on absolute truth.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,950
    Sorry that I cannot participate. There is no "none of the above" option.
    From The Treaty of Tripoli, Art. 11, negociated under Washington, passed unanimously by the senate, and signed by Adams -- "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by pandion View Post
    Sorry that I cannot participate. There is no "none of the above" option.
    You're not afraid of death?
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    The entire Christian belief system is based on misinterpretations of the Torah [so-called "Old Testament"] and pagan-Greek additions developed centuries after Jesus the rabbi was active, called the "New Testament."
    That's a load of hooey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    Jesus, in turn, was a Jew, practicing Judaism, a religion that was already 2,000 years old when he lived. Judaism was a modernization of primeval oral-mythical tradition dating from the dawn of humanity.
    Sure. That's why the Jews kept trying to kill him - because he was "practicing Judaism." LOL!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    Desperate clinging to fairy tale religion is a symptom of humans who are at the lower end of the ladder.
    Casually claiming Christianity is a fairy tale is what's pathetic. Unless you can provide compelling evidence to bust the resurrection of Jesus then you're the one who's at the lower end of the ladder.
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66

    Utter Rubbish

    Sure. That's why the Jews kept trying to kill him - because he was "practicing Judaism." LOL!!
    The Romans killed him; the Jews didn't object because he was getting them into trouble with their Roman overlords.



    Casually claiming Christianity is a fairy tale is what's pathetic. Unless you can provide compelling evidence to bust the resurrection of Jesus then you're the one who's at the lower end of the ladder.
    That's pretty funny. As if you could prove the "resurrection."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    The Romans killed him; the Jews didn't object because he was getting them into trouble with their Roman overlords.
    But if he was practicing normal Judaism like you claimed then he'd be indistinguishable from ordinary Jews. So why was there trouble with the Romans and the Jews? After all, the Jews tried to kill him too (read John chapter 8).

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    That's pretty funny. As if you could prove the "resurrection."
    I have four (4) independent historical Gospels plus other epistles that document the resurrection. All you have is a claim (with no compelling evidence) that it's a myth. Where's your evidence the resurrection is a myth?
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66

    Clearly

    "Normal" Judaism? I suppose you think you know what that is?

    Yashkela [Jesus] was what we would call today a "Reform Jew." He also was outspoken in his rejection of the Romans. [Tell that to the Pope.]

    As for the "resurrection" all you have is hearsay, written by people 75 years after he died at the earliest. The later gospels were written up to 150 years later. It's no different than believing Joseph Smith used magic eyeglasses to read the tablets that conveniently disappeared later.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by pandion View Post
    Sorry that I cannot participate. There is no "none of the above" option.
    I'd like to add that, but I can't figure out how to edit the poll....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    "Normal" Judaism? I suppose you think you know what that is?

    Yashkela [Jesus] was what we would call today a "Reform Jew." He also was outspoken in his rejection of the Romans. [Tell that to the Pope.]
    This is stupid. Jesus claimed to be divine and the Jewish Messiah - fulfilling the scriptures. He came to inaugurate the New Covenant noted in Jeremiah 31:31-34 - which is mentioned to NOT be like the Old Covenant. He is the fulfillment of Old Testament Judaism. He's the one who spoke with Moses in the Burning Bush account.

    The Angel of the Lord

    Neither 1st Century Judaism or even Reform Judaism today have doctrines matching anything like that. Which is why your claim is unfounded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    As for the "resurrection" all you have is hearsay, written by people 75 years after he died at the earliest.
    Most of ancient history is "hearsay." You ready to throw out all the noteworthy figures of antiquity because someone else wrote about them? Then you can throw the majority of your history books in the trash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    The later gospels were written up to 150 years later.
    This is utter B.S.

    The following is a list of conservative and liberal scholars who date the writings of the Gospels, etc. The overwhelming consensus is that the Gospels are all first century.

    Dating the New Testament

    Recommend you update your theology.
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66
    The Fundamentalist mind is like concrete - all mixed up and permanently set.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    The Fundamentalist mind is like concrete - all mixed up and permanently set.
    <Flush>

    Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. - Romans 1:28
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66
    EZ, I think the reason you're so cranky and frustrated is that it takes a lot of energy to keep forcing yourself to believe in something you know deep down is false. I suggest you pray to your three-part god and ask them for a miracle, since apparently the miracle of creation-evolution is not enough to humble you into accepting that you don't have all the answers...


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66

    Most of ancient history is "hearsay." You ready to throw out all the noteworthy figures of antiquity because someone else wrote about them? Then you can throw the majority of your history books in the trash.
    Unlike the fossil record, which speaks for itself...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    EZ, I think the reason you're so cranky and frustrated is that it takes a lot of energy to keep forcing yourself to believe in something you know deep down is false. I suggest you pray to your three-part god and ask them for a miracle, since apparently the miracle of creation-evolution is not enough to humble you into accepting that you don't have all the answers...
    You're the one with the deranged mind, according to Romans chapter 1. Recommend you submit your frustrations in prayer to God and perhaps he will have mercy on you and straighten you out.
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
    You're the one with the deranged mind, according to Romans chapter 1. Recommend you submit your frustrations in prayer to God and perhaps he will have mercy on you and straighten you out.
    EZ, the "I know you are, but what am I?" response works in the schoolyard, or on the Rush Limbaugh show, but not in the civilized world. Not too surprising coming from a Bush supporter. You could insult the intelligence of an ape.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •