Thread: '70s rides, decade of disaster or delight?

Question '70s rides, decade of disaster or delight?

Maybe that should be Afternoon Delight, if anyone can recall that Starline Vocal Band song from 1976? Lol On the one hand cars from that time get negative comments because of less performance versus the '60s, but on the other hand that decade gave rise to some interesting rides and concepts, like the rising popularity of rotary power. What notable rides can you think of from those days?

Porsche 928

RX7/Savanna

AMC Pacer

Close to 1970 was the 1969 Mustang Mach 1 (Emerald green with white interior) I purchased for $2,910 when I returned from Vietnam in June, 1969. That car would scream.

Google Image Result for http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/69-4.jpg
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

Thumbs up

Cars like the Mach 1, and other muscle cars / pony cars, were fast for their day. In fact it wasn't until the mid 1990s that current cars caught up with the standards they set. However, as modern cars set new performance standards, I would say the styling and character (driving a car not a computer) is what really makes the cars from yesteryear special.

Firebird T/A