Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: School Uniforms? Yes or No?

Thumbs up School Uniforms? Yes or No?

If someones entire individuality lies in their appearance, then that person must be a very shallow person. Making a person wear a uniform doesn't rob them of their individuality, it just allows them to express their uniqueness in different forms other than physically.

Quote Originally Posted by bertykins2004
    If someones entire individuality lies in their appearance, then that person must be a very shallow person. Making a person wear a uniform doesn't rob them of their individuality, it just allows them to express their uniqueness in different forms other than physically.
    School uniforms do not ALLOW a student to do anything.The student had that ability before school uniforms.
    So,are shallow people banned from expressing his or her individuality?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxey
    School uniforms do not ALLOW a student to do anything.The student had that ability before school uniforms.
    So,are shallow people banned from expressing his or her individuality?

However, without uniforms, students may concentrate their efforts in their clothing rather than other outlets. Uniforms eliminate this.
    epaphras_faith

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. (Jim Elliot)

Quote Originally Posted by epaphras_faith
    However, without uniforms, students may concentrate their efforts in their clothing rather than other outlets. Uniforms eliminate this.

Excellent point. Imagine how the American school system would look if children placed as much effort into, say, art or music or even math class as they do into getting down that perfect "look". Of course, even with uniforms there are problems. My sister goes to a uniform school - this system even chooses shoes and socks for the kids! - and she still spend more time on her hair than she does on her homework. Makes you wish for the Village of the Damned, no?

I'm a guy. I really don't care how I look (well, within reason). I open my closet, grab a clean tshirt, get some jeans, and quickly wet my hair. I do not pay attention to what the other guys are wearing because I frankly don't care. If a dress code is put into place, it should not be uniforms.

Instead, uniforms should be used as a form of punishment for girls who wear too little, guys who sag too much, guys who constantly wear wifebeaters, and people with obscene messages on their shirts. Maybe we could also use them as a form of public humiliation when someone goes a little far in breaking the rules . . .
    [I]And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.[/I]

Uniform sends a single, strong message - we care more about how you look than what you can do. Is that the message we want in schools?

yeh gross as they look uniforms r good cuz they r good 4 disicipline etc and i agree with the whole thing about if they wernt there they wud b distracting and people wud concentrate on theactual reason that there in school in the 1st place..

My school instituted a very strict dress code policy during my Junior year. The teachers spent more time trying to figure out who was and was not in violation of the dress code. Discipline cases rose dramatically, and students were issued 1-day OSS's for minute violations of the dress code (i.e. students were told to raise their arms as high as possible so the principal could see if their midriff was showing, even though many students would never have a need to raise their arms that high.)

I can understand a dress code that prohibits promotion of alcohol/cigarettes/etc., but the further you go with a dress code, the more you will be taking the focus off of the real reason why the kids are there: to get an education.
    --Jim

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

Ronald Regan: A man who, sadly, does not remember that he once was President. However, on the bright side, he doesn't remember that Bill Clinton was ever President either.

If you can't be a part of the solution, don't become another part of the problem.

School Uniforms

I've been a teacher in Catholic schools for almost 20 years. There are occasional "dress down" days, during which the students are typically rowdier than the usual uniform days.

My opinion is that if you are dressed for play, you will want to play. If you are dressed for serious work, you are more likely to work in a serious fashion.

Many schools are now moving towards khaki pants and polo shirts. These can be more attractive than the usual uniforms. They're also a lot less expensive for the parents to purchase than the wide array of trendy clothing we see in other schools.

hee...

Uniforms are wrong for me not because I don't think indivdual, but because I like wearing stuff. I spend less then a minute on clothes, only girls and your occasional guy spend hours picking out the coolest clothes. I mean, the days of brand loyality are dead. When asked were I got my clothes with the President's choice up the side I say walmart, cause I'm poor. I don't care what people think, when i'm comfortable the whole school could be laughing and I won't care.

So if the school made me were a uniform I'd tell them to bite me cause I will always choose comfort over dress. Besides if your stupid enough to miss work cause of your clothes your going to be a "----" up your entire life, don't make everybody suffer just cause of a few rotten, stupid apples.

Besides, uniforms seem like another petty attempt to get the kind of disicipline seen in asian schools to trickle down to american/western schools. Idea being, if we look like them, and the students look like them, maybe, just maybe, we'll all start acting like them. Good god, not enough kids got ADD, now they're being distracted by their clothes. Maybe we should just accept it, most kids are dumb as posts (speaking as a kid who happens to hang around with other kids).
    Everything ages, nothing will be here indefinitly, and entrophy is a proven fact. What is true today, may not be true tommorrow, and the future is never 100% certian. In short, there are no absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nallyo
    I'm a guy. I really don't care how I look (well, within reason). I open my closet, grab a clean tshirt, get some jeans, and quickly wet my hair. I do not pay attention to what the other guys are wearing because I frankly don't care. If a dress code is put into place, it should not be uniforms.

Instead, uniforms should be used as a form of punishment for girls who wear too little, guys who sag too much, guys who constantly wear wifebeaters, and people with obscene messages on their shirts. Maybe we could also use them as a form of public humiliation when someone goes a little far in breaking the rules . . .
    why dont you care what you look like? i hate slobs who just pull on anything. most girls appreciate a guy with SOME sense of style
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo]Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Wow. You pulled that post out from quite a while back. I meant that I do not spend extreme amounts of time on my "outfit" (for lack of a better word) for the day. I take a shower in the morning, shave, and reach into my closet for a clean pair of pants and shirt that match. They are not always stylish, if you consider Abercrombe or such things stylish, but they are not slobby either. I was just trying to make the point that guys really do not spend too much time on their clothing, and are not distracted by what other guys are wearing. In that respect, uniforms would make absolutely no difference. Read the second half of that post. THAT'S what I think uniforms should be used for
    [I]And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.[/I]

should it really be that big of a deal if you're sitting in a desk in a uniform rather than your 'I'm-cool,-I-can-afford-expensive-clothes' oufit?
    I don't think so. It's not all that important, when you get down to it.
    "You can see the stars and still not see the light"

School Uniforms are good school wear

School uniforms can be comfortable such as polo shirts and khaki pants and they can help students concentrate on their school work.

Christy - http://www.1st-school-college.com

students give up virtually all rights when they enter a school.

Argue for student rights in schools before uniforms.