Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Measuring Unconscious Racism

Measuring Unconscious Racism

According to Harvard's Implicit Association Test, most white people are unconsciously biased against blacks. Take the test for yourself:
    UnderstandingPrejudice.org: Implicit Association Test
    "Indeed, not a word in the constitutional text even arguably supports the Court’s overwrought and novel description of the Second Amendment as 'elevat[ing] above all other interests' 'the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home.' Ante,at 63."
    -Justice Stevens on the Heller ruling

This is joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    This is joke, right?
    No.

"Deep within our subconscious, all of us harbor biases that we consciously abhor. And the worst part is: we act on them.....

"All of us hold unconscious clichéd beliefs about social groups: black and white, female and male, elderly and young, gay and straight, fat and thin.
    Such implicit bias is far more prevalent than the more overt, or explicit, prejudice that we associate with, for instance, the Ku Klux Klan or the Nazis."
    Buried Prejudice: The Bigot in Your Brain: Scientific American
    "Indeed, not a word in the constitutional text even arguably supports the Court’s overwrought and novel description of the Second Amendment as 'elevat[ing] above all other interests' 'the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home.' Ante,at 63."
    -Justice Stevens on the Heller ruling

This is just a guess but Im confident that people from sub saharan Africa will have equal bias against whites.
    I am even more confident that Chinese people would be biased against Western caucasians and that black Hutus would be a little biased against black Tutsis.
    I think that Sunni muslims may be biased against Shia muslims , Neopolitans would be biased against Sicilians and Indians may be biased against Pakistanis.
    What does this tell us..nothing more than we knew before except...that some fools like to attribute a natural trait in mankind and demonise white people with it. Oh and some whites are stupid enough to fall for it
    Last edited by gansao; 05-27-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
    No.

"Deep within our subconscious, all of us harbor biases that we consciously abhor. And the worst part is: we act on them.....

"All of us hold unconscious clichéd beliefs about social groups: black and white, female and male, elderly and young, gay and straight, fat and thin.
    Such implicit bias is far more prevalent than the more overt, or explicit, prejudice that we associate with, for instance, the Ku Klux Klan or the Nazis."
    Buried Prejudice: The Bigot in Your Brain: Scientific American
    Doesn't this mean that black people are equally capable of engaging in racially based hate crimes against people of other defined races? Doesn't that mean the 20 people who beat the living **** out of Matthew Owens right on his front porch and put him in a coma should be charged with a hate crime for attacking a white man, especially when whites are the new minority race in the country?

According to Harvard's Implicit Association Test, most white people are unconsciously biased against blacks. Take the test for yourself:
    This thing is a crock.

I took the test 10 times, 5 claimed I had a slight preference for whites, 3 claimed I had a slight preference for blacks; 2 claimed I had a moderate preference for blacks.

None claimed I had no preference. So was my unconscious racism oscillating in the 5 minutes it took or is this just spitting out essentially random results?

I got no association on the gender
    Last edited by Freedom; 05-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

Denial Ain't a River in Egypt

Galileo, interesting experiment.

Very interesting results.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Of course its a crock. Its a ' have you stopped beating your wife' load of cobblers that only the likes of Simone and other loonie lefts could possibly see any merit in.

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    Galileo, interesting experiment.

Very interesting results.
    Not really Simone sweetie. Being able to tell the difference between blacks and non-blacks doesn't mean anything. And the results vary depending on how you answer that stupid little questionnaire before they start flashing those pictures at the speed of light.

Frankly, how do you tell the difference between blacks and non-blacks? Most people are so racially mixed its impossible to determine their race.

And I've been accused of being a "brown person" after I'd gotten a really nifty tan in Florida. And, the term "brown person" was not used in a kindly manner.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Frankly, how do you tell the difference between blacks and non-blacks? Most people are so racially mixed its impossible to determine their race.
    Yeah that may be true but the pictures used were very racially stereotyped in nature. The lips, eyebrows, nose and cheeks were giveaways and sharply defined in a manner that would make it easy to tell who's who. White people don't have lips compared to black people.

And I've been accused of being a "brown person" after I'd gotten a really nifty tan in Florida. And, the term "brown person" was not used in a kindly manner.
    If you're looking for sympathy from a mexicana then you're talking to the wrong person Simone sweetie.

unconscious racism???

I unconsciously joined the ku klux klan

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbi View Post
    Yeah that may be true but the pictures used were very racially stereotyped in nature. The lips, eyebrows, nose and cheeks were giveaways and sharply defined in a manner that would make it easy to tell who's who. White people don't have lips compared to black people.

If you're looking for sympathy from a mexicana then you're talking to the wrong person Simone sweetie.
    Um, thick lips? In racially mixed people there are very black persons with thin lips and pretty pale people with thick lips.

Doesn't work for me.

Um, thick lips? In racially mixed people there are very black persons with thin lips and pretty pale people with thick lips.

Doesn't work for me.
    That may be true but all of the african american pictures had a portion of lip exposed in the picture while those in the eastern european pictures didn't. Like I said the pictures were very stereotyped.

Doesn't work for me.
    Angelina Jolie has fat lips, therefore Angelina Jolies is black

Mark Zuckerberg wears a hoodie (his trademark) therefore Mark Zuckerberg is black

What an obsession Americans have about race. You ought to learn from South Americans, we live in racial harmony, we don't give a s**t about race. Go to Brazil and learn from the Brazilians how to live.