Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romney won't repeat McCain's mistake

Romney won't repeat McCain's mistake

Mitt Romney, presumptive GOP nominee, has begun his search for a running mate. This time around, it's clear what one rule will be: The vice presidential nominee needs to be qualified to be president.

More...

The only thing that went right with McCain's campaign was Palin.
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    The only thing that went right with McCain's campaign was Palin.
    I am going to have to disagree with this. Palin was a mistake from first to last.

The McCain campaign apparently forgot that you dont win an election by making your supporters cheer louder than the other guys. You win elections by getting the most people to vote for you. They tapped Palin as his running mate in order to energize their base. It DID energize their base for a while, but your base does not win you elections. Easyrider would vote for Cthulhu if he ran on the republican ticket. The group they needed to appeal to was moderates, independents, and fed up republicans like myself. Caribou Barbie had no appeal to any of us as a candidate. As it became apparent that she was basically completely unqualified for the position even women voters who she was supposed to attract, were repelled and offended by the idea that McCain thought he could bring on just any ditz and women would follow her like a bunch of lemmings.

This is part of a larger problem that the republicans need to get under control if they want to continue as a political party. Currently they have to appeal to ignorant zealots like Easyrider and Truthsayer to get nominated, but then need traditional conservatives and independents to get elected. Their "base" has moved off into the land of lunacy, leaving them with candidates who cannot actually win.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with this. Palin was a mistake from first to last.

The McCain campaign apparently forgot that you dont win an election by making your supporters cheer louder than the other guys. You win elections by getting the most people to vote for you. They tapped Palin as his running mate in order to energize their base. It DID energize their base for a while, but your base does not win you elections. Easyrider would vote for Cthulhu if he ran on the republican ticket. The group they needed to appeal to was moderates, independents, and fed up republicans like myself. Caribou Barbie had no appeal to any of us as a candidate. As it became apparent that she was basically completely unqualified for the position even women voters who she was supposed to attract, were repelled and offended by the idea that McCain thought he could bring on just any ditz and women would follow her like a bunch of lemmings.

This is part of a larger problem that the republicans need to get under control if they want to continue as a political party. Currently they have to appeal to ignorant zealots like Easyrider and Truthsayer to get nominated, but then need traditional conservatives and independents to get elected. Their "base" has moved off into the land of lunacy, leaving them with candidates who cannot actually win.
    Did you vote for Obama so that Palin wouldn't be vice president?

I have never bought these smears about Palin. She may not be superwoman but she never claimed to be, I have never seen any substance to the relevant attacks, a vast majority of them being attempts to call her stupid because of how she looks and her accent.

Did you vote for Obama so that Palin wouldn't be vice president?

I have never bought these smears about Palin. She may not be superwoman but she never claimed to be, I have never seen any substance to the relevant attacks, a vast majority of them being attempts to call her stupid because of how she looks and her accent.
    Nope, did not vote for Obama. Did not bother to show up to vote at the last round of presidential elections. I was not exactly in love with McCain anyway, and when he chose caribou barbie as his running mate it brought up some pretty serious questions about his judgement.

Nobody calls her stupid because of her looks and her accent. They call her stupid because of the things she says.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    I have to admit, at first I thought "wow, a real person". Then I listened to her speak for more than 5 minutes and just shook my head in disgust. She's a twit.

I didn't vote last election either. Just couldn't throw my support behind Obama or McCain. I refuse to fall into the "lesser of 2 evils" crowd, I hold myself and the politicians I vote for to a higher standard. I'm a write-in for Ron Paul this time around.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

Nope, did not vote for Obama. Did not bother to show up to vote at the last round of presidential elections. I was not exactly in love with McCain anyway, and when he chose caribou barbie as his running mate it brought up some pretty serious questions about his judgement.

Nobody calls her stupid because of her looks and her accent. They call her stupid because of the things she says.
    She doesn't say anything stupider than any other politician.

She doesn't say anything stupider than any other politician.
    Yes. She did.

You are talking about a vice presidential candidate who, 3 months after being named a candidate, could not say what the vice presidents job is...and that was the SECOND time somebody had asked her that question.

You would think she would have looked that up before she agreed to be McCains running mate.

Yes. She did.

You are talking about a vice presidential candidate who, 3 months after being named a candidate, could not say what the vice presidents job is...and that was the SECOND time somebody had asked her that question.

You would think she would have looked that up before she agreed to be McCains running mate.
    You think it's better when they throw a red herring out there? because I've never known a politician who won't avoid any of the good questions. Of course she knows what vice president does, pretty much nothing.

You think it's better when they throw a red herring out there? because I've never known a politician who won't avoid any of the good questions. Of course she knows what vice president does, pretty much nothing.
    Freedom, she said she would be in a really good position to enact policy in her position as head of the senate....which is absolutely ludicrous.

You are talking about a woman who tried to claim that Putin flying over the state she lives in counts as foreign policy experience.

Freedom, she said she would be in a really good position to enact policy in her position as head of the senate....which is absolutely ludicrous.

You are talking about a woman who tried to claim that Putin flying over the state she lives in counts as foreign policy experience.
    Please support both of those.

Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    #1. Role of VP.

Sarah Palin doesn't know what a Vice President (VP) does - YouTube
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    You failed to mention she was supposed to be answering a 3rd grader. So here's a question, do you literally think that she would have walked into the senate and started giving orders if McCain had won?

People call politicians XXXXXX when it's convenient not when they have good evidence, everyone makes mistakes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZSigyG-BZU.

Sarah Palin Discusses Russia With Katie Couric - YouTube
    At 1:42 for the Putin thing.

This video is really painful.

You failed to mention she was supposed to be answering a 3rd grader. So here's a question, do you literally think that she would have walked into the senate and started giving orders if McCain had won?

People call politicians XXXXXX when it's convenient not when they have good evidence, everyone makes mistakes BARACK OBAMA STUPID QUOTES - YouTube.
    No, but I think she should have given a more intelligent answer than that. It was an awful answer...a 3rd grader would get a C or D if they wrote that down.