Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95

Thread: Looking good but ...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,532

    Looking good but ...

    It is a pity that all the good work done by the administrators in giving this forum a makeover didn’t affect its content, i.e. the postings.
    How can one take seriously the ‘thoughts’ of eazyrider, or doc jones, or freedom, or .... etc . No wonder that no new ‘talent’ appears ever. We only get the one or two posts from occasional one nighters and that’s all.

    As anyone can see by looking at the statistics at the bottom of the main page. The activity peaked in April 2006 and has been going downhill since. Six years later and look at the sorry situation: of the 9437 members, literally, only a handful post regularly and, if we subs tract from this number the gansaos and freedom type of poster(a mentally retarded ignorant) not much is left of any worth.

    I hope the owners of the forum still make a buck out of it. I thank them for the fun throughout these years, for not having draconian censorship and for keeping it going for so long. The contents of the posts is of course something they cannot improve on. Sad.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    660
    I agree with you, which is why I come and go. I stay gone for a while because of the same old clap trap right-wingers who never have anything new to say. It gets very boring. I finally put xemnames on ignore becasue I couldn't take his stupidity any longer.

    I said a month ago or so that this is a dying forum. I think the likes of Freedom, Easyrider, and Doc Jones actually run people off: you can't have a reasonable discussion with guys like that, and if it's the only competition on the board; forget it.

    Yes, it's a nice new look, burt what price glory?
    He Lived in the Perfect Midfield Time

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,532

    It can't get worse than this, can it ?

    I participated for a while in a forum in English run years ago by Deutsche Welle and it was good and lively, although the same as here, a bunch of conservatives took over it and bullied those who thought differently. It closed after a few years. Der Spiegel also ran and still run a blog and a forum but hardly anyone posts there because nowadays it is moderated i.e. your posts only appear after they are approved by the administrators and this takes a day at least, longer if you post during the weekend.

    Nowadays every living thing and even non-living things such as newspapers and magazines are in Facebook, where you can comment about their stories instantly, just like in a forum. I occasionally read the comments in Facebook of readers of El Mercurio (emol) of Santiago de Chile, but I am not in Facebook, therefore I don't comment. So yes, the so called 'social networks' killed the forums.

    Forums such as this one are simply the last refuge of the Freedoms, Easyriders, gansaos, zsu2357s, Doc Jones etc. It is useless, as you say, to try to dialogue with them. Also, no one has much to say about movies, books or art in any form which are topics that really interest me. For example, I watched last night "Pierrot le fou" (anything by Godard I watch and more than once) but no one here would know what I am talking about.

    So let the Freedoms, Easyriders, gansaos, zsu2357s, Doc Jones etc rant on and on, I couldn't care less.


    I suppose this forum will continue for as long as it is profitable, how long will it be? Your guess is as good as mine.


    W.S.
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-17-2012 at 04:10 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Poor Whiney. No one takes his anti American rants seriously or cares a rats arse about the books he reads so he whines.
    He has announced to us all that he is leaving the forum in the past and no one cared less then.
    He came back

    The problem with this forum is that it has such a narrow subject base for posts . Newbies are all but ignored and whiners like Winston insult others but complain when it is returned.
    Tabbi is a new poster and as far as I know has not insulted Winston Smith but this is a post by Winston regarding her...

    Whiney... how do you know? maybe she is as ugly as she is stupid. I don't who is dumber you or she, oops! I forgot the dumbest : freedom.

    The look of the forum is better though, cleaner, simpler and the default font is good. A pity though that most of the 'regulars' have not changed at all, posting the same ignorant, prejudiced buls**t day in day out; and even the new ones such as Tabbi are equally moronic opinionated ignorants. What a waste of effort from the part of the administrators.

    If one judged Americans by this sorry sample of the population one would be dismayed, fortunately one knows better. Phew! But it is hard to believe that a country which produced a David Foster Wallace for example, also produce people such as the above. Sigh!


    http://www.4forums.com/political/gun...tml#post452454


    So you see Winston is a serial whiner and a nasty little twat that can dish it out but not take it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon,Linn County
    Posts
    1,991
    =Winston Smith;452567]I participated for a while in a forum in English run years ago by Deutsche Welle and it was good and lively, although the same as here, a bunch of conservatives took over it and bullied those who thought differently. It closed after a few years. Der Spiegel also ran and still run a blog and a forum but hardly anyone posts there because nowadays it is moderated i.e. your posts only appear after they are approved by the administrators and this takes a day at least, longer if you post during the weekend.

    Nowadays every living thing and even non-living things such as newspapers and magazines are in Facebook, where you can comment about their stories instantly, just like in a forum. I occasionally read the comments in Facebook of readers of El Mercurio (emol) of Santiago de Chile, but I am not in Facebook, therefore I don't comment. So yes, the so called 'social networks' killed the forums.

    Forums such as this one are simply the last refuge of the Freedoms, Easyriders, gansaos, zsu2357s, Doc Jones etc. It is useless, as you say, to try to dialogue with them. Also, no one has much to say about movies, books or art in any form which are topics that really interest me. For example, I watched last night "Pierrot le fou" (anything by Godard I watch and more than once) but no one here would know what I am talking about.

    So let the Freedoms, Easyriders, gansaos, zsu2357s, Doc Jones etc rant on and on, I couldn't care less.
    Rant on we shall W. Pooh but only about the truth,not meaning to make you feel "bullied"because when someone gets "bullied" we know what happens.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,532

    jet57

    I rest my case

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Poor Whiney. No one takes his anti American rants seriously or cares a rats arse about the books he reads so he whines.
    He has announced to us all that he is leaving the forum in the past and no one cared less then.
    He came back

    The problem with this forum is that it has such a narrow subject base for posts . Newbies are all but ignored and whiners like Winston insult others but complain when it is returned.
    Tabbi is a new poster and as far as I know has not insulted Winston Smith but this is a post by Winston regarding her...

    Whiney... how do you know? maybe she is as ugly as she is stupid. I don't who is dumber you or she, oops! I forgot the dumbest : freedom.

    The look of the forum is better though, cleaner, simpler and the default font is good. A pity though that most of the 'regulars' have not changed at all, posting the same ignorant, prejudiced buls**t day in day out; and even the new ones such as Tabbi are equally moronic opinionated ignorants. What a waste of effort from the part of the administrators.

    If one judged Americans by this sorry sample of the population one would be dismayed, fortunately one knows better. Phew! But it is hard to believe that a country which produced a David Foster Wallace for example, also produce people such as the above. Sigh!


    http://www.4forums.com/political/gun...tml#post452454


    So you see Winston is a serial whiner and a nasty little twat that can dish it out but not take it
    Ya'know, this thead was not started for the purpose of calling someone a nasty little twat as you say; it was started because this forum is dying away as we speak. I have charged that teh right-wing in this forum is a liability due to their abuse and uniformed chauvanistic attitude. The idea is to atract new members through evidence of informative competitive debate that is made up of sme substance like; citing credible sources, putting some sort of thought into debate that displays an ability with the language and the subject matter of the dicussion. Now I know that Doc Jones and Xemnames are capapble of that as they only haunt the gun threads; which of course nearly just kills that subject.

    So how about saying something that might spark and idea.
    He Lived in the Perfect Midfield Time

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Ya'know, this thead was not started for the purpose of calling someone a nasty little twat as you say; it was started because this forum is dying away as we speak. I have charged that teh right-wing in this forum is a liability due to their abuse and uniformed chauvanistic attitude. The idea is to atract new members through evidence of informative competitive debate that is made up of sme substance like; citing credible sources, putting some sort of thought into debate that displays an ability with the language and the subject matter of the dicussion. Now I know that Doc Jones and Xemnames are capapble of that as they only haunt the gun threads; which of course nearly just kills that subject.

    So how about saying something that might spark and idea.
    Before you start throwing around blame for people you consider right wingers you might wanna examine your own behavior Jetsy sweetie. You've got a lot of hostility you're displaying towards others and coming off as downright mean to people who don't agree with you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbi View Post
    Before you start throwing around blame for people you consider right wingers you might wanna examine your own behavior Jetsy sweetie. You've got a lot of hostility you're displaying towards others and coming off as downright mean to people who don't agree with you.
    Uh, no, I think not. I love it when somebody disagrees with me and can do it intelligently and has somehitng of substance to back up what they say: that's a contest, that's why we're here.

    The two people that I've spoken about are ruthlessly hostile and provocative. They never answer a direct question. They will take mouthfulls of words to say nothing at all, and yes, I have become hostile to them and to that type of poster. I put xemnames on ignore simply because I couldn't take his beating around the bush and avoidance any longer. There really aren't any other conservative posters here that I know of; none that have given any contest anyway.

    I'm the nicest guy on two feet, but I know when I'm being jerked around, and in these venues, I try and make a contribution with every post; because that's what I'd like others to do as well. That's what makes these discussion boards fun and worthwhile. This one on the other hand is being dragged down by those two.
    He Lived in the Perfect Midfield Time

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Ya'know, this thead was not started for the purpose of calling someone a nasty little twat as you say; it was started because this forum is dying away as we speak. I have charged that teh right-wing in this forum is a liability due to their abuse and uniformed chauvanistic attitude. The idea is to atract new members through evidence of informative competitive debate that is made up of sme substance like; citing credible sources, putting some sort of thought into debate that displays an ability with the language and the subject matter of the dicussion. Now I know that Doc Jones and Xemnames are capapble of that as they only haunt the gun threads; which of course nearly just kills that subject.

    So how about saying something that might spark and idea.
    Winston Smith was insulting others from the first post and followed it up with the second.
    This was in an thread started by him about the faults of other posters.
    Both him and you insult other posters that you disagree with so you cant really criticise others can you?
    http://www.4forums.com/political/gun...tml#post451574
    http://www.4forums.com/political/rel...tml#post451307
    To be honest you are just as big a twat as him.
    Does that spark an idea?
    Last edited by gansao; 04-18-2012 at 09:17 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Ya'know, this thead was not started for the purpose of calling someone a nasty little twat as you say; it was started because this forum is dying away as we speak. I have charged that teh right-wing in this forum is a liability due to their abuse and uniformed chauvanistic attitude. The idea is to atract new members through evidence of informative competitive debate that is made up of sme substance like; citing credible sources, putting some sort of thought into debate that displays an ability with the language and the subject matter of the dicussion. Now I know that Doc Jones and Xemnames are capapble of that as they only haunt the gun threads; which of course nearly just kills that subject.

    So how about saying something that might spark and idea.
    I have began many threads to give this place some semblance of intellectual activity, the one about the huge number of Americans in prison and the racial imbalance of the prisoners i.e. a minority (blacks) amount to the majority in prison' was good and attracted some interesting postings.

    You will never ever attract new members of some intellectual calibre for if they browse the posts they will of course see the sorry situation we are in. Compare the comments readers make to articles in The Economist (a favourite of mine) to those here and you will see the huge difference in not only style but content. Also, if you prefer an American example, check out the comments to stories in The New York Times to the ones here. No comparison. Sigh!

    I read The Economist religiously every week but I don't post there because whatever I can think of saying somebody will say it better and most of the time already has. I find the postings to be most of the time more informative than the articles they refer to.

    Sooner or later, you, like hundreds (thousands ?) before you, will give up and leave.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I have began many threads to give this place some semblance of intellectual activity, the one about the huge number of Americans in prison and the racial imbalance of the prisoners i.e. a minority (blacks) amount to the majority in prison' was good and attracted some interesting postings.

    You will never ever attract new members of some intellectual calibre for if they browse the posts they will of course see the sorry situation we are in. Compare the comments readers make to articles in The Economist (a favourite of mine) to those here and you will see the huge difference in not only style but content. Also, if you prefer an American example, check out the comments to stories in The New York Times to the ones here. No comparison. Sigh!

    I read The Economist religiously every week but I don't post there because whatever I can think of saying somebody will say it better and most of the time already has. I find the postings to be most of the time more informative than the articles they refer to.

    Sooner or later, you, like hundreds (thousands ?) before you, will give up and leave.
    And you refer to Americans as "crazy" because they value the constitution and the rights and freedoms it recognizes the people having that the government can't take away for no reason. Could it be Winston dearie that it's a matter of envy because Australia doesn't have a real constitution?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post

    Sooner or later, you, like hundreds (thousands ?) before you, will give up and leave.
    You have written more than one goodbye note to this forum only to reappear like herpes a few months later.
    JPSatre( a former member) used to call it your ' hair flick'.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Winston Smith was insulting others from the first post and followed it up with the second.
    This was in an thread started by him about the faults of other posters.
    Both him and you insult other posters that you disagree with so you cant really criticise others can you?
    http://www.4forums.com/political/gun...tml#post451574
    http://www.4forums.com/political/rel...tml#post451307
    To be honest you are just as big a twat as him.
    Does that spark an idea?
    Well, very nice: you prove once more why this forum has problems, and of course you end by calling me a twat: a vulva; great.

    Now, winston was not insulting certain posters in the OP; he was stating fact. I have echoed his concerns. There are certain posters in this forum who routinely use insulting language rather than participate in some sort of meaningful fassion in these threads. Doc Jones as I said is one of the worst: he is wrong most all of the time and cannot argue in any effective matter so he resorts to ad-hom, as you have done here . . . I have addressed doc jones' attitude with the adminstrator; and as for my own case, there are only so many times that soeone can ask a mule to please get up and plow before the 2x4 upside the head becomes an actrative method for getting the mules attention. I had tried it several times with xemanes, but that mule apparently doesn't speak English so I finally put him on ignore.

    Moreover, we have asked , I can't tell you how many times, for these posters to contribute in a productive way to this forum, and still they / you now, refuse to be polite enough to say something that makes it worthwile to participate. You guys and now Tabbi just get flustered when you get cornered by fact and resort to name calling and insult. There BTW only so many times when aposter like myself can present either primary source documentaion; like the US Constitution, or credible reporting / government articles and charts - that go intentioonally ignored - before one's limit of patience wears very thin; which what Winston Smith is pointing put in this thread, and what I have pointed out to admin. The right-wing TROLLS when they have nothing left to say, and that insults everybody on the board and scares away prospectives.

    So; go ahead, call me a twat if it serves you somehow, but all you're doing of course is making our point about you . . .
    He Lived in the Perfect Midfield Time

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Well, very nice: you prove once more why this forum has problems, and of course you end by calling me a twat: a vulva; great.

    Now, winston was not insulting certain posters in the OP; he was stating fact. I have echoed his concerns. There are certain posters in this forum who routinely use insulting language rather than participate in some sort of meaningful fassion in these threads. Doc Jones as I said is one of the worst: he is wrong most all of the time and cannot argue in any effective matter so he resorts to ad-hom, as you have done here . . . I have addressed doc jones' attitude with the adminstrator; and as for my own case, there are only so many times that soeone can ask a mule to please get up and plow before the 2x4 upside the head becomes an actrative method for getting the mules attention. I had tried it several times with xemanes, but that mule apparently doesn't speak English so I finally put him on ignore.

    Moreover, we have asked , I can't tell you how many times, for these posters to contribute in a productive way to this forum, and still they / you now, refuse to be polite enough to say something that makes it worthwile to participate. You guys and now Tabbi just get flustered when you get cornered by fact and resort to name calling and insult. There BTW only so many times when aposter like myself can present either primary source documentaion; like the US Constitution, or credible reporting / government articles and charts - that go intentioonally ignored - before one's limit of patience wears very thin; which what Winston Smith is pointing put in this thread, and what I have pointed out to admin. The right-wing TROLLS when they have nothing left to say, and that insults everybody on the board and scares away prospectives.

    So; go ahead, call me a twat if it serves you somehow, but all you're doing of course is making our point about you . . .
    Winson calls posters ugly,stupid and dumb You call people XXXXXX and accuse them of having a toilet fetish and somewhere in both of your tiny heads you think that you have the right to call other posters trolls.
    I will take you up on your offer and call you a twat again..thank you for the opportunity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •