Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Women protest anti-abortion bills in Virginia

Women protest anti-abortion bills in Virginia

RICHMOND, Va. -- Hundreds of women have locked arms and stood mute outside the Virginia State Capitol to protest a wave of anti-abortion legislation coursing through the 2012 General Assembly.

Capitol and state police officers, there to ensure order, estimated the crowd to be more than 1,000 people - mostly women, some men. The crowd formed a human cordon through which legislators walked before Monday's floor sessions of the Republican-controlled legislature.
    Women protest anti-abortion bills in Virginia | 11alive.com

A resounding NO! to state-sponsored rape.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post

Why would this be state sponsored/mandated rape?

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Why would this be state sponsored/mandated rape?
    "Modern statutes typically punish as rape the forcible penetration—by any object—of a woman's mouth, anus, or vagina, and most rape statutes apply to penetration of a male victim as well. In states that limit the offense of rape to sexual abuse of a woman, an offense carrying a different label (but usually identical penalties) applies to analogous sexual abuse of a man."
    Rape: Legal Aspects - Forcible Rape: Elements Of The Offense - Consent, Force, Sexual, and Requirement - JRank Articles
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    "Modern statutes typically punish as rape the forcible penetration—by any object—of a woman's mouth, anus, or vagina, and most rape statutes apply to penetration of a male victim as well. In states that limit the offense of rape to sexual abuse of a woman, an offense carrying a different label (but usually identical penalties) applies to analogous sexual abuse of a man."
    Rape: Legal Aspects - Forcible Rape: Elements Of The Offense - Consent, Force, Sexual, and Requirement - JRank Articles
    I know what rape is.
    Ill try again.Why is an anti abortion bill state mandated rape?

Unless a given state employs individuals for the specific purpose of going out and randomly raping women for whatever purpose, there is no "state-sponsored rape" that you refer to Simone. Anti-abortion legislation does not meet the definition as provided by the member Sinjin. Your statement is nothing more than pure hyperbole Simone.

The most you can allege is an effort by states to limit post-rape treatment and options to victims. However even that is flimsy at best.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

I know what rape is.
    Ill try again.Why is an anti abortion bill state mandated rape?
    The new law would require women to submit to a "transvaginal" ultrasound before being allowed to terminate their pregnancy.

If they want to terminate, they are forced to submit to penetration by the wand.

The new law would require women to submit to a "transvaginal" ultrasound before being allowed to terminate their pregnancy.

If they want to terminate, they are forced to submit to penetration by the wand.
    In the same way that a cervical smear test involves rape with a lolly stick?

A woman can refuse to have a cervical sample taken. She is not given that freedom under Virginia law.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

A woman can refuse to have a cervical sample taken. She is not given that freedom under Virginia law.
    Not if she wants a smear test Simone.
    In fact a man cant have a prostate exam without a doctor raping them...according to you

What is the medical reason one would need a transvaginal ultrasound before an abortion procedure?
    None, that's what.

What is the medical reason one would need a transvaginal ultrasound before an abortion procedure?
    None, that's what.
    Then why are they obliged too?
    And its not really rape is it?

Transvaginal ultrasound is a imaging technique used to create a picture of the genital tract in women. The hand-held device that produces the ultrasound waves is inserted directly into the vagina, close to the pelvic structures, thus often producing a clearer and less distorted image than obtained through transabdominal ultrasound technology, where the probe is located externally on the skin of the abdomen.

Purpose
    Transvaginal ultrasound can used to evaluate problems or abnormalities of the female genital tract. It may provide more accurate information than transabdominal ultrasound for women who are obese, for women who are being evaluated or treated for infertility, or for women who have difficulty keeping a full bladder. However, it does provide a view of a smaller area than the transabdominal ultrasound.

Then why are they obliged to?
    In the hope that by forcing women to see an image of the fetus,
    women will change their mind about terminating their pregnancy.
    It doesn't work.

Coercion is not rape IMO.
    Others would disagree with my view.

In the hope that by forcing women to see an image of the fetus,
    women will change their mind about terminating their pregnancy.
    It doesn't work.
    Why shouldnt the woman see an image of the potential child before she terminates it?
    And since when did that constitute rape?

Why shouldnt the woman see an image of the potential child before she terminates it?
    Why shouldn't a women be forced to see the image before getting a legal elective procedure?

How would like to be required to submit to a prostate exam and provide a semen sample before you could buy condoms?

There are a great many medical procedures that are unpleasant, invasive and penetrative in nature. However none of these constitute an example of rape. Even under standards of sodomy medical procedures are not considered criminal actions.

Simply being uncomfortable with the procedure does not mean it is akin to rape. Medical procedures are not intended to be pleasant and desirable in nature. The use of transvaginal ultrasound devices are no more an example of rape for a woman than a colonoscopy is an example of rape for a man.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.